What's new

Superior Cuts 3-D Printed Razor

Super interesting! Many thanks.

This might be the future. I wish I had 1.) the 3D printer 2.) the skills needed and could print my own custom-made and perfectly fitting razor stands. Different color PLA filament (I think this is what the raw material for printers is called) exist, and as long as nobody starts printing out pink razors for a certain forum member, I think this is absolutely rad.
My local library has a 3D printer, and an educational program for people who want to use it.

You don't get "hand-on" access to the printer; you _do_ get to submit whatever CAD/CAM drawings you want, for "printing" in any one of six colors.

So -- if you want a 3D-printed razor -- you might use similar facilities. I gather that the online libraries of 3D designs are _huge_, and you might find something already designed, that suits you.

4th "Superior cuts" SOTD
SOTD-Sc-OC-K_2023-12-22.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac "Kleiner Bayer" Silvertip D01 2-Band 14/42
Soap: Phoenix Atomic Age Bay Rum
Razor: Superior cuts OC 0.8 [3D printed razor] (4)
Blade: Suneko (7)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

A fine shave. :biggrin:

The seventh shave with the Suneko blade was great, still sharp and smooth. As I'm trialing my Superior cuts razor (which is also doing great) too, I will use a new Gillette 7o'clock Black (my current favorite blade) next shave. But I will come back to the Suneko blade to see how it performs on shave number eight + +.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

5th "Superior cuts" SOTD
SOTD-Sc-OC-B_2023-12-27.jpg

Razor: Superior cuts OC 0.8 [3D printed razor] (5)
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (1)
ASL: Clubman Musk

An excellent shave. :biggrin:
I'm really enjoying the shaves with my "Superior cuts" razor. :w00t:

6th "Superior cuts" SOTD
SOTD-Sc-OC-R_2023-12-30.jpg

Razor: Superior cuts OC 0.8 [3D printed razor] (6)
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (2)
ASL: Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods

A superb shave. :biggrin:
On shave six of my seven shave trial, I can only say that this is an excellent razor. :w00t:

7th "Superior cuts" SOTD
SOTD-Sc-OC-O_2023-12-31.jpg

Razor: Superior cuts OC 0.8 [3D printed razor] (7)
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (3)
ASL: Osage Rub

Another fine shave. :biggrin:

That's my seven-shave trial of the "Superior cuts" OC razor completed. It's an excellent razor for sure!
My New Year's Resolution is to have the first YELLOW "Superior cuts" OC set (with a 75mm handle). :clap:

Next shave, I think I'll give my somewhat neglected GRAIL RAZOR (SS OC Blackbird on lightweight handle) a little attention. :thumbsup:

Personally, I HATE the very idea of DCs (Dual Combs). Using more than one razor, or a DC, for a shave strikes me as crazy. :crazy:

If I needed more than one razor (or a DC) to get a decent shave, I'd be ashamed to admit it (and would assume that my shaving technique was lousy). Of course, that's just me in this YMMV world. :laugh:

Vive la différence. :punk:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used the Superior Cuts hybrid plate razor I received twice and it works very well. It seems to be very blade dependent. The first time I tried it I used the .8 with a Personna lab blue blade I had used the day before and it was terrible and felt like a scraper. After a few strokes I switched it to a Wizamet and then it worked great. It seems to take a good sharp blade to work best. It reminds me of a plastic disposable and its hard for me to get that out of my head but it does shave well. Being so light more pressure needs to be applied. The second time I used the .6 with the same Wizamet and it was very good also. I like the dual combs, I used the OC on first pass and the SB side on the second and third. I have my Wolfman WR2 set up that way also. It gives more options and some areas may need the OC and some may not. Overall the Superior Cuts razor does an excellent job and seems sturdy. I can't see it replacing a metal razor for me but more of a novelty or travel razor. I like it and will put it in rotation.

first shave today. used middle plate 0.6 closed comb and Tatara Blade (2nd use) Tatara blade is very easy and forgiving blade, not sharpest but I find it to be very smooth.

Shave was very easy, I did full 3 passes, ATG also extremely easy. Overall I'm impressed how rigid feel blade in this plastic razor, no problems here. Geometry looks good, easy to find right angle for me.

0.6 plate lack little bit efficiency for me, zero feedback from alum block after, shave is ok on face, on neck I would prefer closer shave. This plate is what I call slowly razor, need 3 passes + more passes on difficult areas, very easy for newbie too. It can be better with sharper blade, probably with Kai best.

I will try 0.8 plate tomorrow and compare. overall impressions are very good. what I find important not to use pressure, what is not easy because of no weight of razor. If 0.8 is like 0.6 plus more efficient it's keeper and perfect razor for travel or places where it can be lost or stolen.

second shave today, plate 0.8 close comb, Tatara Blade (3rd use)

if I should be short, 0.8 was what I needed and 0.6 and 0.4 plates will be only as some nice artifact for watching.. :biggrin1:

same very easy shave as 0.6 but more efficient. We are still in middle category, no drama no irritations. I did full 3 passes without more touch ups, nice easy daily shave. To mention, it is not so close as with my other usual razors, but we are speaking about super light plastic razor for couple €.. There is still room to improve efficiency with sharper blade, Tatara blade is for me to have easier shave and avoid irritation as to archive super close shave.

I can only recommend 0.8 plate. What I would like is to have possibility to order some more aggressive plate, but for daily shave is 0.8 acceptable. 0.6 was too mild, after 24 hours I looked like after 36 or 48 hours with my usual equipment.

Only two mentions more. To remove the blade first time, it was tricky, second time easier. Blade stays like with seal on cap. And I think it needs also little attention to not over-tighten handle.

As conclusion, I like shave with 0.8 plate. As wrote before, very useful for travel or places where it can be lost or stolen. It could be also good option for somebody totally new to DE razors, I find also 0.8 very easy to use also for newbies.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Personally, I HATE the very idea of DCs (Dual Combs).
I’m with you. But for a different reason. I am a razor flipper. I flip my DE after each stroke. I could not do the flip with a DC, which would add time and complexity to my efficient shave routine. Plus, the muscle memory would probably still make me auto flip the razor, and now I’d be shaving with a different razor dynamic with every other stroke. Not for me.

I started another thread before I saw this one. Sorry. Here is my experience.

My only "Superior cuts" razor is the Open Comb, Frank. So I can't help you there.

BUT, as the design is identical barring the small slots in the OC safety bar, I'd say the Solid Bar must be just as good. :thumbsup:
I honestly haven't been able to tell a difference between the SB and "OC".

Top Bottom