What's new

Superior brush vs. Shavemac

S

Sam

How does a superior brush compare to say SMF1 and XXL Shavemac. I ask because I am thinking of another brush and quite frankly, the SImpsons have not been up to my tastes as far as finding a brush with a handle I like and then I find one and the bristles are stiffer and closer to scritchy then I am used to with the Shavemacs.

I am concerned that the Rooney may not be as dense as the Shavemacs and may be tending to splay open, though they are reputed to be soft.

I know there are a couple of Superior brushes up for auction, and I could get Bernd to make a brush for me around $110 or so. I see Medicwood has 25mm Super and Best knots and maybe they come up for auction. The 20mm may seem to be a bit small but 25mm would be good or maybe 23mm is a good compromise.

Sam

Sam,

I've used the 25mm Silvertip from Superior. It is a great brush! The softest tips I have ever used. And not floppy! Now, you yourself brought up the phrase for the SMF brush, that it "sucks up" to your face. You won't get this with the Superior, but you will get a great brush. I've not used the Shavemac XXL, but when you compare the Superior brush to the SMF I brush, I believe that you will find it every bit as enjoyable to use. But the brushes do have their differences.

Randy

S

Sam

I see the 20mm knotted brush that is going for about $35 and think it might be great for fun, but that is really on the small, small size for me. The 23mm or 25mm would be what sizes I am looking for. Wonder how much they go for on ebay

Sam said:
I see the 20mm knotted brush that is going for about $35 and think it might be great for fun, but that is really on the small, small size for me. The 23mm or 25mm would be what sizes I am looking for. Wonder how much they go for on ebay

I got my first brush from Superior on ebay. It's the 20mm brush, and I love it. Enough so that I am definitely ordering the 25mm brush, and may even spring for a "ebony and ivory" pair. Still need to figure out the handle design.

Randy

Sam said:
How does a superior brush compare to say SMF1 and XXL Shavemac. I ask because I am thinking of another brush and quite frankly, the SImpsons have not been up to my tastes as far as finding a brush with a handle I like and then I find one and the bristles are stiffer and closer to scritchy then I am used to with the Shavemacs.

I am concerned that the Rooney may not be as dense as the Shavemacs and may be tending to splay open, though they are reputed to be soft.

I know there are a couple of Superior brushes up for auction, and I could get Bernd to make a brush for me around $110 or so. I see Medicwood has 25mm Super and Best knots and maybe they come up for auction. The 20mm may seem to be a bit small but 25mm would be good or maybe 23mm is a good compromise.

Sam

Stop buying brushes..... you won't be happy with whatever you get bud. You like your shavemac XXL - the bristles right? You just want the same brush smaller right? Send it back to Bernd, have the EXACT same bristles from your brush used to make a shavemac in the handle/size you prefer and call it a day. Searching endlessly for a brush that does not exist isn't going to solve your problem - creating the brush you specifically desire will.

Top Bottom