What's new

Superior 70 Bay Rum testing

The forum accolades and on-line research made me spring for a bottle of the Superior 70. Figured a little over $10 with free shipping was worth a try.

First impressions are it smells very much like cloves. I guess West Indies bay is related to cloves? No problem, it's similar and not in your face. We'll see how the staying power is. Might add some glycerin to it if you guys think it might help.

Also snagged a pair of those single serving 50ml bottles of Admiral Nelsons spiced rum. Mixed up some of that 50/50 with the Sup and applied it. Really nice aroma. Gonna try some experimenting with mixtures and see what I can come up with. Besides, have a nice Avon bay rum bottle that needs using!

I got about 30 minutes to an hour of longevity on my mixture. Nice barely noticeable aroma, probably perfect for daily wear in the office. But I'm going to try and beef it up some for those special days.

Freshly shaven and applied some Superior 70 straight. We'll see how/if the aroma lasts compared to my first mixture.

Weird, I get straight bay and alcohol with this. I like it, though. (Pinaud is straight-up clove, IMO)

It's 1/3 of the ingredients of the Bootlegger's Bay Rum, which is quite the fine mix.

I have a bottle on the way. It's the last part I need to make Bootleggers. Really becoming a BR junkie!

OK the straight Superior 70 gives me a good hour of scent, which isn't bad. Not very expensive, nice scent, think I'll do some more fooling around with it.

Again, I have to note home much our sniffers differ. No clove scent at all in S70 to me. Just straight Bay. It's one of the mildest and most pure bay scents out there.

Again, I have to note home much our sniffers differ. No clove scent at all in S70 to me. Just straight Bay. It's one of the mildest and most pure bay scents out there.
I agree. I think people confuse cloves and bay. I smell both in VIBR, but only bay in S70. I like both too.

Yes, I know there are no cloves in the Sup 70 - only bay oil, alcohol, and water. That's why I bought it. It's just that the aroma reminds me of cloves.
And I can't afford to buy two more A/S's and make Bootleggers right now. So I'm working on a different approach.

It seems to me that we haven't had enough Bootlegger's love around here, lately.
@Mr. Bonney Can I send you a sample of it? If you're interested, send me a PM.

Finally put my recipe together last night and tried it this morning. I took two of the single serving bottles (50ml each) of Admiral Nelsons Spiced Rum and poured them into a glass measuring cup. Made a little over 3 fluid ounces. I then put it in the refrigerator for 2 days. Knowing how things in the fridge "dry out" over time, I figured I could use that effect to remove some of the alcohol and water from the rum sample. By Friday afternoon the amount had reduced to about about 2 1/2 ounces. As the rum was 70 proof (35% alcohol), I figured that about a 1/3 of the volume gone would mean the alcohol was gone. A sniff test confirmed no aromatic sting.
Then put the measuring cup on the kitchen counter, and watched over the next day and a half. Had a very prominent vanilla smell at first, which then started to dissipate. By Saturday night it was down to about 1.9 ounces with very little aroma. Figured that was almost half the starting volume, so did my mixing.
Then added about 6 ounces of the Superior 70, bring the total up to near 8 ounces. Put the mixture in my Avon Bay Rum ceramic jug decanter. Let it sit over night, and then splashed some on.
Nice bay oil smell (wife said it was cloves), with a mellow spicy scent. No stickiness on dry down. Went for a walk - after about an hour total I could just barely smell anything. Not bad I thought.
I'll take a shower and re-apply - test how long the aroma lasts without building up a sweat. Might also add some glycerin - see if I can get a little slower dry down and more moisturizing on the chin and neck.

Top Bottom