What's new

SuperAuto Shootout! Gaggia Brera vs DeLonghi Magnifica?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Which is best? I have had only good things to say about DeLonghi for some years now, but recently I bought a ESAM3300 so I could have my morning cappuccino on my ship without messing about with grinder, portafilter, etc, and it has stopped working already. Amazon offered a return but I am on a ship and a return simply isn't gonna happen. When I have narrowed down our next US port and have the address for our agent there, I will be getting either the Brera or another DeLonghi shipped to the agent.

NOT interested in other brands or types. No, don't want to mess with anything other than a superauto. The clear choice of features vs cost vs reliability is these two machines, so I am hoping someone here has had both, and can unmuddy the waters a bit on which is the better buy, beffore I hit the add to cart button.

I have not owned a Gaggia. I have had DeLonghis and up to now they have been rock steady reliable. I custom built a stand for the ESAM3300 to hold it securely on my desk in the event of bad weather, so there is that... another one will fit perfectly. Amazon reviews are pretty evenly matched. I am listening, coffee badgers. I am listening...

Ignoring half your post....so feel free to ignore back. :001_smile

I might recommend a simpler alternative. Get a Rok/Presso 100% manual lever machine. It along with a decent grinder will make a very good shot. You will need a separate way to froth milk assuming you want/need that. It is a realitively simple and inexpensive device but will produce great coffee with freshly roasted beans, much like a well honed Gold Dollar can provide a close comfortable shave in good hands. I am not sure how the Rok stacks up against something with a pressurized portifilter as it is my sense that those are more forgiving when using older coffee or an imprecise grind. But certainly any beans roasted within 6 weeks will work (six weeks is about the limit of my testing, other than that I tried some old coffee with an unknown roast date that was so dry in would not tamp properly).

I don't think these simple lever machines get enough praise. Having to boil water separately makes the whole process faster and gives the operator has more control over the result. It has a small footprint so easier to store and use in tight spaces like a boat, RV, tiny apartment, etc. It has some quirks that some may find unacceptable but overall a compitent shot maker.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
When I wake up at 0430 and want my cappuccino before I turn to for work, I can't be bothered with heating water or grinding or dosing or tamping or any of that rigamarole. I will go so far as to manually steam the milk from the wand, but other than that I simply need to be able to push a button and get my shot and not have to knock out a puck or any other afterwards stuff. The ROK looks like it would indeed make a great shot, assuming you preheat it. I just can't spare 15 minutes in the morning. That's why I specified a superautomatic in my post, and the price is why I specified the two machines I am deciding on.
Yes the superauto takes a couple minutes to warm up. That's okay. I can spend that time taking a leak and getting dressed. The thing is, my involvement in it is nil. Just push the ON button and go about my affairs. Then after it quits blinking and spitting, a couple minutes of hands on as I steam some milk. I then press the double shot button and do more stuff while the machine grinds and tamps and pumps and splurts out espresso with no interaction from me. There. My cappa is ready, I am dressed and pockets full of tools and head full of ideas for what me and my deck gang will do today, and all is right in the world and I only had to devote about three minutes to coffee making because the machine does almost all the work for me. After a while, all alone on my desk with nobody to see or care, it cleans itself and turns itself off. Later in the day I dump the puck bin, fill the beans and water, whatever is needed, wash my mug, and done. No other type of machine would be even remotely usable for me. None. Zero.
I would rather this thread did not morph into a comparison of non superauto machines. Maybe someone could start another thread for that rather than clutter up this one. Just sayin.

A fellow member takes the time from his day to offer a suggestion on a public forum, and you tell him to shove it? lol. Enjoy the crickets.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
When did I tell anybody to "shove it"? I only went into greater detail as to why I was only asking for a comparison between two superauto machines. I didn't even go so far as to point out that the ROK recommendation was off topic. You didn't read my original post, either, I am guessing, from the way you are biting my head off. Uh oh. Now I am getting off topic, too. So I will ask again, if anybody can offer a first hand comparison between these two machines.

I feel bad not being able to help so instead of responding on Monday with shoulder shrugs I waited to see if anyone who knew would respond.

Here goes my 2¥

Since you are all set up for one machine (stand, stability, etc.), if it were me, I'd stick with the same machine.

You already know it well enough to work it blindfolded so why change unless you are disappointed in how it works.

You will never taste a difference between super automatic machines as all use basically the same technology to heat and serve. Time is not a concern so a few seconds faster is not part of the decision process.

I've been satisfied with all the DeLonghi machines I've owned over the years but I've never had a super automatic of theirs.

Sorry to provide so little help :(

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Actually good points Mick. I still have a couple weeks to make a decision anyway. Going to the E coast will take about a month. But I think I am maybe leaning toward DeLonghi even though the Gaggia seems to have a bigger market share.

I certainly understand your desire to wake up to a cup of coffee. Time is precious when one first gets out of bed. Enough said and no disputing that point. I might get one of those fancy grind/drip brewers for that, though nothing beats an espresso drink.

But to finish up the prior response I was approaching the question more from the implusive decision to make a cup of coffee throughout the whole day. Where the time delay between the thought of a making a coffee and drinking an Americano using a Rok/Presso is just the time it takes your electric kettle or stovetop to approach boiling point. (Grinding & tamping is done while the water approaches boil). All of which is much less time than an automatic machine takes to fire up.

I have pretty much abandoned my La Pavoni lever machine as it takes a while to reach temperature, and when wanting a quick espresso later on, it needs to sit and act as a big countertop radiator for hours on end. Cycling (heating water) on/off before I come back for another shot. Not a good idea in warmer months.

I don't have any currency handy so take this with a pinch of salt....

FWIW, I agree with Mick that if a super auto is the answer I would stick with what you know/like. I have zero personal experience with a SA machine except when I run into them in airport lounges, hotel lobbies, etc.

But if the goal is to have coffee without any personal investment in time I toss out two other possibilites that may (or probably don't) make sense.

Option a: get someone else to make it. Are you the only one in the household that is a coffee-head? If not maybe they could make the coffee during the week. In my house I tend to get up and make 3-10 espresso drinks during my morning get up and out of the house routine. Others get coffee as they get out of bed with no time for the prep. My machine is on 24/7 so pulling a shot is pretty fast for me.

Option b: normally during the week I need to go to work... is there a really cool/good/acceptable (and fast) place between where you wake up and where you work? Yes this will cost more than making your own but who knows who else you may bump into getting your daily coffee.

Disclaimer: I am quite a bit down the coffee rabbit hole compared to the rest of my household. I use a plumbed in machine, roast beans every 7-10 days and am saving for a better grinder. I am in the process of building a house and one of the must haves is 4-5ft of counter space with plenty of power, filtered water, drain and at least 28" of height clearance (Those compak F10s are tall). I am closely followed by my son that has an espresso machine in his dorm (not plumbed in) and a rancilio md series grinder. On rare occasions when he gets up before I do he makes everyone coffee.

tldr: Go with what Mick said.

Ruckin

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I am on a ship. GF not here to make my morning cappa. Obviously I don't drive to work either. If I did, I would still want my morning cappuccino before commuting. The only two options are the DeLonghi or the Gaggia superauto.

I am on a ship. GF not here to make my morning cappa. Obviously I don't drive to work either. If I did, I would still want my morning cappuccino before commuting. The only two options are the DeLonghi or the Gaggia superauto.

Sounds like the Exon Valdez. "I couldn't get anyone to make me coffee so put her on cruise control and went below for a cuppa"

If I recall right... during the Exon Valdez Mr Hazelwood went below to hang in in cabin (I assume to get a good brew) and the junior mate ran the vessel onto the rocks. In addition to an environmental problem it became a political one as well.

Ruckin (observed oil spills from '76+)

.ps - first oil spill I knew about was the Argo Merchant in '76... lots since then

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Captains do not spend 24/7 on the bridge. Don't know why people assume that. The grounding of the Valdez was his fault only so far as anything any of his subordinates do is his fault. The Mate on watch made a serious error, and when he finally realized it, the AB at the helm apparently did not fully understand the operation of the helm which is a bit more complex than most landsmen or yachties realize and is not the same on every ship. Specifically after being ordered into hand steering, he thought he was hand steering for several seconds while it was actually still on the mike.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've never really dealt with a Gaggia, but our Magnifica has been like a blessing for the last year and a half or so. Between the wife and I, we hit that thing at least 3 or 4 times each day. It's probably what I would grab to save from a fire.

Captains do not spend 24/7 on the bridge. Don't know why people assume that. The grounding of the Valdez was his fault only so far as anything any of his subordinates do is his fault. The Mate on watch made a serious error, and when he finally realized it, the AB at the helm apparently did not fully understand the operation of the helm which is a bit more complex than most landsmen or yachties realize and is not the same on every ship. Specifically after being ordered into hand steering, he thought he was hand steering for several seconds while it was actually still on the mike.

Most "landies" don't even understand how a small craft is handled which is why it is so dangerous for anyone to be on the water.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Ain't that the truth. You see a bunch of goofballs on the water, trying to drive a boat like it's a go-cart.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Well, I opted for another DeLonghi, the ECAM23260SB, with milk tank etc, one button to push for cappuccino, no manual frothing. Far out! Right?

Nah. That one didn't work, either! Went back to the first one. Disassembled it again, didn't understand it, found nothing wrong, put it back together. I found that if I turned it on and off and on and off a couple times, with the grinder set on coarsest setting, I could pull shots about equivelant to very strong French Press, but I had to steam the milk AFTER pulling the shots. Most of the time it worked. The fancy one didn't do anything at all except grind beans and eject them.

Then I examined my transformer closely. Most ships have 220VAC in living spaces. My transformer was only putting out 100VAC, not the 110 to 125 the machine expected to see. Scrounged all over the ship for a 2kw transformer that was actually an iron core transformer 2:1 and not some bastardized regulated switching power supply putting out modified sine wave instead of pure sine wave. Plugged the plain superauto in.

INSTANT gratification. Pulled a few shots, adjusted the grinder to one notch below finest, and made a lovely cappuccino. It's like a F1 race car, now. And the fancy one with the milk tank and auto froth? Same. Works beautifully and I am sipping a wonderful cappuccino right now when I should be working haha. This is just too good.

So now I have a super superauto, and a regular superauto with frothing wand for backup. I am content. Problem solved. Thanks everybody who weighed in on the Gaggia vs DeLonghi question. I am sure that the Brera would have been quite satisfactory but only with the correct transformer.

So, problems with your superauto? Check the line voltage. Up your game a few volts with a Variac if necessary.

Top Bottom