What's new

Super speeds.

Which out of the Super Speeds should I buy first. Sure why not get them all but which would you recommend first and why?

Flare tip. It's easier to use than the red. The blue is probably too mild so I say skip this one unless you are a teenager.

The old style was produced from late 40s to 1954, when the flare tip went into production. Some folks prefer the old style to the flare tip, some the other way around. The easy answer is buy both. They're cheap and readily available on eBay, and often show up in antique shops and second hand shops. Gillette made a gajillion of them. I have several different examples. They all shave similarly. Use the search function. You will find multiple threads explaining their differences.

First, it's the question, which kind of handle you like. The 1940s had short handles, also the Rocket HD / 500 and the Parat.
The flair tip had a longer handle, up to the I think 1960s with more or less the 1940s head. After that they changed the head design to a more flat version, and of course they had in the 1950s also the blue and the red tip. So, if you decide on a longer handle you also have to choose between a lighter (blue) or more hefty (red) version, or between the flare tip with the older and the newer head. It's really not easy.
Personally, I like the Parat the best. Overall, I think, maybe a flare tip with the 1940s head is the middle of the road razor to start out with.

You can’t go wrong with any super speed. Disregarding the red tip and blue tip, the 40s style and the later flare tip shave very much the same. The most common version is the regular flare tip and a good example can be found for a very reasonable price.

You can’t go wrong with any super speed. Disregarding the red tip and blue tip, the 40s style and the later flare tip shave very much the same. The most common version is the regular flare tip and a good example can be found for a very reasonable price.

+1! Start with a flare tip, then buy them all!! :a14::a14:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
+1! Start with a flare tip, then buy them all!! :a14::a14:
Yes, that's the way!

....1940s had short handles....The flair tip had a longer handle...

:001_unsur Might want to re-measure that.
full

They all shave about the same except the Red and Blue tips.

I would recommend a Flaretip or Black handled Flaretip. These are a little less collectable and thus cost a little less. You can get a razor in better condition for your money.

Which out of the Super Speeds should I buy first. Sure why not get them all but which would you recommend first and why?

SS is a great starter razor. I started with a '52 and at one point I must have had a dozen SS up to the flare tip. After a few years of using a SS, I moved on to more efficient DE's. I sold or gave away my SuperSpeeds, except for my '52 and a backup '51, in case I get old and need to revisit a milder DE.

My favorite and one that took me 100’s of auctions to find was a first year ‘47. Gave a ‘54 flair tip to a member and the ‘48-50 to my son. Gave a ‘56 RT to my son in law, but kept the ‘59 RT. Great razors for any one

Start with a 40’s or a flare tip since these are the cheapest of the Super Speeds. Then buy the rest!

Maybe even keep an eye out for someone selling a lot with a few types of Super Speeds. And then maybe add a Slim and a Fatboy into the mix, maybe a New or an Old Type, maybe even an Aristocrat. Uh oh...

Is there much difference between the Flare Tip and the Black Handle (aside from the handles)? I think the heads were essentially the same until much later on when the Black Handles got a lower profile head with lighter construction.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Is there much difference between the Flare Tip and the Black Handle (aside from the handles)? I think the heads were essentially the same until much later on when the Black Handles got a lower profile head with lighter construction.

The head changed significantly around 1961 (I own a G-2 still with the high dome) and continued on that way into and through most of the black handled models ... there was another base plate change very late on in the run.

I don't have a red tip. If I were you, and already had a razor or razors that are considered "mild", then I would be tempted to add something a bit more "wild".

But the red tips are not the cheapest SS models.

I don't have a red tip. If I were you, and already had a razor or razors that are considered "mild", then I would be tempted to add something a bit more "wild".

But the red tips are not the cheapest SS models.
+1 on the Red Tip. They’re a little more expensive, but the best shaving Super Speed by far, imo.

My experience with a '47 SS and a '59 Red Tip is that I can get a good shave with either. The extra heft of the Red Tip and larger handle on the RT is the only difference that I seen.

Top Bottom