What's new

Super speed revisited

When I started DE shaving several years ago I bought several birth year super speeds. 1960 flare tips. I liked them but eventually moved on. I had kind of come to the conclusion that I preferred 3 piece razors.

Then a few days ago I broke out a super speed. I was amazed at the shave. Seriously one of my best ever. This is a really underrated razor. One that I need to use more often.

Every Den should have a super speed. They’re great little razors, easy to use, efficient, come in various levels of aggressiveness and are dirt cheap!

I’m glad you found your way back.

Every Den should have a super speed. They’re great little razors, easy to use, efficient, come in various levels of aggressiveness and are dirt cheap!

I’m glad you found your way back.

Wait, I’ve got a birth year/wrong quarter Superspeed. Picked it up because my dad used one until he got an adjustable. For me, after 40 relaxing years with an Old Type and a Merkur 36 slant, the Superspeed introduced me to the concept of razor burn. I didn’t give it many chances.

They come in various levels of aggressiveness? Is there a guide somewhere, or is it just random? Any blade recommendations?

I love Super Speeds, they always give me a great shave, with almost no worry of getting bit.

They come in various levels of aggressiveness? Is there a guide somewhere, or is it just random? Any blade recommendations?
The Flare Tips from the late 50s came in three levels of aggression, Red was the most, Blue the least, standard nickel was medium. Other than they they got a little more mild as time went by. I really don't find a huge difference between them though. None are monsters, and all can get the job done (for me anyway).

When I started DE shaving several years ago I bought several birth year super speeds. 1960 flare tips. I liked them but eventually moved on. I had kind of come to the conclusion that I preferred 3 piece razors.

Then a few days ago I broke out a super speed. I was amazed at the shave. Seriously one of my best ever. This is a really underrated razor. One that I need to use more often.
I've come to think the SS to be the best DE ever because:
1. affordable no nonsense giltz that most everyone could afford
2. Safety notch for not having to touch the blade
3. Both effective and mild for a 3 minute shave for a father of 5 and a bus to catch
4. Nice grippy handle (I prefer the '40's handle)
5. Good TTO system that grips the blade well
6. Works with creams, foams, and lather
7. Pretty much bomb proof to last beyond one's life time even if abused.

I've come to think the SS to be the best DE ever because:
1. affordable no nonsense giltz that most everyone could afford
2. Safety notch for not having to touch the blade
3. Both effective and mild for a 3 minute shave for a father of 5 and a bus to catch
4. Nice grippy handle (I prefer the '40's handle)
5. Good TTO system that grips the blade well
6. Works with creams, foams, and lather
7. Pretty much bomb proof to last beyond one's life time even if abused.

+1

I love my red tip with a Gillette SB blade. I haven’t experienced razor burn yet with that combo.

I’m going to give my Y4 Superspeed another trial. Haven’t got a Gillette SB in stock, but I hear Voskhod or maybe Gillette 7 o’clock yellow might be similar. I WANT to like that razor and get it into the rotation.

My birth quarter SS is a fine little razor, as all of you can attest. It seems to me the Slim gives you a very similar shave, but with the advantage that it's adjustable, and yet still delightfully light. But if you find a SS that works well for you, as the saying goes, simpler is better.

For me and me alone, a non adjustable SS allows the user to produce the shave they want by how they choose to use it. It can be aggressive and with a light touch and correct angle, a mild razor.

I’ve had three and gave the ‘54 and 48-50 away. I kept the ‘47. The brass is shining through, but the performance is outstanding.

In my three razor rotation I have two Super Speeds. A D1/1958 (birth year and quarter) and a M1/1967 Black Handle. I prefer the Flare Tip ever so slightly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

To me they are Techs with unnecessary complications. Nothing wrong with a Tech shave mind you but I can manage a three piece without hurting myself and the Tech will never gum up or have its doors go out of alignment.

To me they are Techs with unnecessary complications. Nothing wrong with a Tech shave mind you but I can manage a three piece without hurting myself and the Tech will never gum up or have its doors go out of alignment.
Techs are dangerous. Never had a problem with any of the TTO mechanisms.

I love my Super Speeds! My current rotation is a '46 Aristocrat, 47-50 MiLord, '56 Blue Tip and I believe it is a '52 SS.

Tom

Top Bottom