What's new

Super Speed Razors: The Post World War II Shaving Culture in America to 1955

Eric; Thank you so much! I have more to say on historical matters, as they are certainly enmeshed into this portion of the Super Speed saga. Hopefully you will find your father's razor- mine was in a box with some of our Scouting and boyhood things, and when our childhood home was cleaned out following my mothers passing last September- I found his undated Atra, likely a promotional razor. Below are photographs taken by Cap during the disassembly and restoration of my W3 white tip, Black Tip Super Speed. The head is attached to the handle ferrule, which is the uppermost smooth and rounded portion of the handle and is separate from the handle shaft. Prior to mating the ferrule to the razor blade bed or head, the smaller diameter ferrule end would insert into the hole found at the center of the bade bed in the handle recess. The end of the ferrule was crimped over to secure the head in place to the ferrule. In 1947 to the last of the 1949 production- the crimped over ferrule end was flattened against the blade bed, producing a smooth ring as one looks down onto the blade bed and where the TTO knob center rod exits the head. At the tail-end of the 1949 production in the undated fourth quarter- this crimping was changed to a rolled or peened over style. This is done on an anvil or die which actually rolls the edge of the upper ferrule, and thus the rounded joint is peened to the razor head. apparently Gillette chose this head mating process due to assembly speed constraints, as by 1950, there was a worldwide market increase for their products.

Mike; I was more than fortunate to acquire this banjo as it quite literally fell into my lap. Jim had acquired the original banjo complete with case, and it was virtually un-played and the leather on the case was totally intact as to the care this banjo had received in period. Jim disassembled the banjo, and the neck was sent to Frank Neat in Russell Springs, Kentucky for replication to Gibson prewar standards, but widened to accept a fifth string peg. Side by side they are identical except for this feature, and the original Grover Patent pegs are used on the conversion. A flat head tone ring was made by Eric Sullivan to fit exactly to the original, and it required no modification whatsoever. The Gibson warranty decal is the best I have ever seen. I have the original arch top tone ring and hide head, which is still white and unblemished. The banjo has been authenticated and is totally original. It retains its Grover Patent tailpiece, which were often replaced for the later clamshell style. The grease painted serial number or batch number 8823-80 is present as is the red painted serial number on the inside of the maple resonator. The flange is cast brass, and makes for a stronger construction. I personally thought that it improved the tone, as this example sounded better than the two 1930 banjos we could also purchase with a pot metal flange. The pot metal flange was what Earl Scruggs had on his Pre-War Gibson, and for collectors and for that reason- slightly more expensive. I was the first to see the banjo completed aside from Jim Mills, as he had completed it earlier that week. The other two 1930 TB4's had Hearts and Flowers inlay and Flying Eagle inlay not original to the donor neck. he was kind enough to give me an original 1927 bracket wrench that was as new- perhaps the one that came with this very TB-3.
Dismantled Gillette W3 White Tipped Super Speed.jpg
Gillette Early 1947 Super Speed Pat on Package Flat Peen Center Bar Lared Ends or Winged.JPG
Gillette 1949 Super Speed Razor Left, Gillette 1950 V-3 Super Speed Razor Right Blade Tray Views.JPG
God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Eric; Thank you so much! I have more to say on historical matters, as they are certainly enmeshed into this portion of the Super Speed saga. Hopefully you will find your father's razor- mine was in a box with some of our Scouting and boyhood things, and when our childhood home was cleaned out following my mothers passing last September- I found his undated Atra, likely a promotional razor. Below are photographs taken by Cap during the disassembly and restoration of my W3 white tip, Black Tip Super Speed. The head is attached to the handle ferrule, which is the uppermost smooth and rounded portion of the handle and is separate from the handle shaft. Prior to mating the ferrule to the razor blade bed or head, the smaller diameter ferrule end would insert into the hole found at the center of the bade bed in the handle recess. The end of the ferrule was crimped over to secure the head in place to the ferrule. In 1947 to the last of the 1949 production- the crimped over ferrule end was flattened against the blade bed, producing a smooth ring as one looks down onto the blade bed and where the TTO knob center rod exits the head. At the tail-end of the 1949 production in the undated fourth quarter- this crimping was changed to a rolled or peened over style. This is done on an anvil or die which actually rolls the edge of the upper ferrule, and thus the rounded joint is peened to the razor head. apparently Gillette chose this head mating process due to assembly speed constraints, as by 1950, there was a worldwide market increase for their products.

Mike; I was more than fortunate to acquire this banjo as it quite literally fell into my lap. Jim had acquired the original banjo complete with case, and it was virtually un-played and the leather on the case was totally intact as to the care this banjo had received in period. Jim disassembled the banjo, and the neck was sent to Frank Neat in Russell Springs, Kentucky for replication to Gibson prewar standards, but widened to accept a fifth string peg. Side by side they are identical except for this feature, and the original Grover Patent pegs are used on the conversion. A flat head tone ring was made by Eric Sullivan to fit exactly to the original, and it required no modification whatsoever. The Gibson warranty decal is the best I have ever seen. I have the original arch top tone ring and hide head, which is still white and unblemished. The banjo has been authenticated and is totally original. It retains its Grover Patent tailpiece, which were often replaced for the later clamshell style. The grease painted serial number or batch number 8823-80 is present as is the red painted serial number on the inside of the maple resonator. The flange is cast brass, and makes for a stronger construction. I personally thought that it improved the tone, as this example sounded better than the two 1930 banjos we could also purchase with a pot metal flange. The pot metal flange was what Earl Scruggs had on his Pre-War Gibson, and for collectors and for that reason- slightly more expensive. I was the first to see the banjo completed aside from Jim Mills, as he had completed it earlier that week. The other two 1930 TB4's had Hearts and Flowers inlay and Flying Eagle inlay not original to the donor neck. he was kind enough to give me an original 1927 bracket wrench that was as new- perhaps the one that came with this very TB-3. View attachment 806666 View attachment 806667 View attachment 806670 God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Wow a white tip I have never heard of a white tip before.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks again, Tony! That was another wonderfully informative post! I wondered if that was the case, but I don't trust my understanding of these things. I really appreciate all the information you have given us. I second the idea of a booklet or maybe a multi - media presentation one can download!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

DJWY Man; In 1951 the UN combined forces were licking their wounds and warming up frostbitten hands and feet following the battle of the Chosin Reservoir (November 27-29) and the subsequent withdrawal of the X Corps (December 6-11, 1950), who were vastly outnumbered by the Chinese People Volunteer Army and North Korean regulars. This would hasten US involvement and the retreat of the North Koreans into the higher elevations rather than continue with their previously successful mobile campaign. At that point, strategy shifted to one of artillery bombardment, and the subsequent expenditure of brass shell casings was staggering- so much so that Gillette looked for alternative materials to reduce their need for brass as a base metal for razor production. The Black Tip Super Speed was introduced in the second quarter of 1951, now with a blue based styrene case and a TTO knob made of Bakelite. it is surmised that at some point during the W3 production- Gillette either utilized an ivory TTO knob due to the unavailability of black Bakelite, or simply exhausted inventory of the ivory variant which did not make it into the regular production in favor of the black Bakelite knob. The examples that I am aware of were found on aluminum handed Super Speeds manufactured during the third quarter of 1951, making them quite scarce indeed. Gillette briefly used brass as a TTO knob base metal in W2, perhaps before the Bakelite Black Tip Super Speed was standardized.

Eric; Thank you Sir! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Korean War US Forces Retreat from the Chosin Reservoir.jpg
Korean War ROK Soldiers Shell Casings 2nd Infantry Division Salvage Dump 6 September 1951.jpg
Gillette 1951 W3 Black Tip Super Speed White Tip TTO Knob  Variant .JPG
Gillette Black Tip  Super Speed  Brass TTO Knob 1951 W2 Date Code.JPG

DJWY Man; In 1951 the UN combined forces were licking their wounds and warming up frostbitten hands and feet following the battle of the Chosin Reservoir (November 27-29) and the subsequent withdrawal of the X Corps (December 6-11, 1950), who were vastly outnumbered by the Chinese People Volunteer Army and North Korean regulars. This would hasten US involvement and the retreat of the North Koreans into the higher elevations rather than continue with their previously successful mobile campaign. At that point, strategy shifted to one of artillery bombardment, and the subsequent expenditure of brass shell casings was staggering- so much so that Gillette looked for alternative materials to reduce their need for brass as a base metal for razor production. The Black Tip Super Speed was introduced in the second quarter of 1951, now with a blue based styrene case and a TTO knob made of Bakelite. it is surmised that at some point during the W3 production- Gillette either utilized an ivory TTO knob due to the unavailability of black Bakelite, or simply exhausted inventory of the ivory variant which did not make it into the regular production in favor of the black Bakelite knob. The examples that I am aware of were found on aluminum handed Super Speeds manufactured during the third quarter of 1951, making them quite scarce indeed. Gillette briefly used brass as a TTO knob base metal in W2, perhaps before the Bakelite Black Tip Super Speed was standardized.

Eric; Thank you Sir! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrownView attachment 806749 View attachment 806750 View attachment 806751 View attachment 806752
This is why I love this thread. That is something else I learned. I had browsed over your comparison of the 2 black tip variations in the other thread but this one is even neater. I was a soldier for 10 years, my great grandfather was in wwII and my step father was in desert Storm as well as Iraqi freedom with me(different units and locations but still) so war time goods interest me. And I love history at that.

DJWY Man; Thank you Sir! What an incredible story of service! Your family is certainly one with a military heritage! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

I just received in today's mail a 1949 (using post #707 for that identification!). I look forward to trying it out soon, as I have read so much about them here.
20170726_105040.jpg 20170726_104825.jpg

Eric; that is one beautiful razor Sir! You will not be disappointed, and should you want to locate the correct case- they are plentiful and survive past abuses well. Tan Speed Pack dispensers are becoming scarce, but are around. We look for a full report... God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Mike; I was more than fortunate to acquire this banjo as it quite literally fell into my lap. Jim had acquired the original banjo complete with case, and it was virtually un-played and the leather on the case was totally intact as to the care this banjo had received in period. Jim disassembled the banjo, and the neck was sent to Frank Neat in Russell Springs, Kentucky for replication to Gibson prewar standards, but widened to accept a fifth string peg. Side by side they are identical except for this feature, and the original Grover Patent pegs are used on the conversion. A flat head tone ring was made by Eric Sullivan to fit exactly to the original, and it required no modification whatsoever. The Gibson warranty decal is the best I have ever seen. I have the original arch top tone ring and hide head, which is still white and unblemished. The banjo has been authenticated and is totally original. It retains its Grover Patent tailpiece, which were often replaced for the later clamshell style. The grease painted serial number or batch number 8823-80 is present as is the red painted serial number on the inside of the maple resonator. The flange is cast brass, and makes for a stronger construction. I personally thought that it improved the tone, as this example sounded better than the two 1930 banjos we could also purchase with a pot metal flange. The pot metal flange was what Earl Scruggs had on his Pre-War Gibson, and for collectors and for that reason- slightly more expensive. I was the first to see the banjo completed aside from Jim Mills, as he had completed it earlier that week. The other two 1930 TB4's had Hearts and Flowers inlay and Flying Eagle inlay not original to the donor neck. he was kind enough to give me an original 1927 bracket wrench that was as new- perhaps the one that came with this very TB-3. View attachment 806666 View attachment 806667 View attachment 806670 God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Great story Tony! You certainly have an eye and appreciation for fine detail.

I just received in today's mail a 1949 (using post #707 for that identification!). I look forward to trying it out soon, as I have read so much about them here.
View attachment 807513 View attachment 807514
By the way you posting that beautiful razor totally derailed my shave selection for the night. I had picked out my soap put it on the bathroom counter, decided I was gonna use my Fatboy and give a Lord Platinum a try(never used one before and my Fatboy is my blade tester) had it loaded up and was sitting on the stand to be used. Then I seen you post that beautiful super speed and it made me feel like I should use my '50 SS to apologize for looking at another one lol. So I put the Fatboy away blade still loaded until tomorrow and pulled out a silver blue to load my SS up with and mmmm that was a great shave. These things are awesome!

By the way you posting that beautiful razor totally derailed my shave selection for the night. I had picked out my soap put it on the bathroom counter, decided I was gonna use my Fatboy and give a Lord Platinum a try(never used one before and my Fatboy is my blade tester) had it loaded up and was sitting on the stand to be used. Then I seen you post that beautiful super speed and it made me feel like I should use my '50 SS to apologize for looking at another one lol. So I put the Fatboy away blade still loaded until tomorrow and pulled out a silver blue to load my SS up with and mmmm that was a great shave. These things are awesome!

And after reading your post, I derailed my selection! I had a pre-war Tech set to go, but now I am going to use the new addition. I was originally planning on the weekend, but why wait!!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Today was my 1960 Super Speed which IIRC was the first razor I actually bought rather than a Hand-me-down and it was all SHINY!

Update on the 1949 Super-Speed. Today was the first use, with a GSB on it's second shave. Wow, what a smooth operator! Easy two passes, wonderful and close, a simply fantastic shave with no drama or blood letting. At times, I wondered if I had the blade touching my skin. The next few days will be this razor and a pre-War Tech, which is also new to me and doing a great job. I am so glad to have read this thread and decided to try a 40's style Super-Speed.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Update on the 1949 Super-Speed. Today was the first use, with a GSB on it's second shave. Wow, what a smooth operator! Easy two passes, wonderful and close, a simply fantastic shave with no drama or blood letting. At times, I wondered if I had the blade touching my skin. The next few days will be this razor and a pre-War Tech, which is also new to me and doing a great job. I am so glad to have read this thread and decided to try a 40's style Super-Speed.
Nicely done. They are a classic, no doubt.

Thank you guys for posting and I too am excited to see both Flare Tips and 1940's style Super Speeds in their respective barns if you will. Personally I have a 1954 Z3 in my daily rotation and a Pre-War Fat Handle Tech does the 0400 shaving honors. All three are excellent razors in their own right. My wife and I will be heading to Clarksville, Virginia to Strum's Antiques where the Z3 was purchased to pick up some furniture tomorrow morning. It's original owner was the late Victor Strum, a successful grocer whose store was once where his daughter's shop is now located. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Tony, you have such a treasure trove of information here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom