What's new

Super Speed Razors: The Post World War II Shaving Culture in America to 1955

Thanks Adam! It is a very interesting piece- the most scarce of my period shaving mugs hands down. It oozes good taste, befit of a well-heeled man. This would be followed by one from Jackson China- pattern ROJ 148 and markedly different. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Jackson China Falls Creek, PA Restaurant Ware Mug, Pattern ROJ 148, 1923-1946 Backstamp.JPG

The Y4, 1940's style Super Speed, along with two Pre-War, Fat Handle Tech razors, will be readied for their journey to Cap's house in the next day or so. As mentioned in a previous posting- I was able to acquire an embossed leather razor travel case dating to 1953. Inside was a Y4, gold plated Ball End Tech, but this will not be my intended travel razor, as I have no real preference in that department. A folding comb and the Ball End Tech were the only items included with the case, and by all indications, were original to it when new. There now is no more room in the medicine cabinet, save for one of the Pre War Fat Handled Tech razors once it is re-plated by Chris Evatt. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Leather Razor Case with Embossed Cattle Brands Circa 1953.JPG
Leather Razor Travel Case Hinge Detail with Cattle Brands.JPG
Leather Razor Travel Case Interior Folding Comb.JPG
Medicine Cabinet No More Room.JPG

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
The Y4, 1940's style Super Speed, along with two Pre-War, Fat Handle Tech razors, will be readied for their journey to Cap's house in the next day or so. As mentioned in a previous posting- I was able to acquire an embossed leather razor travel case dating to 1953. Inside was a Y4, gold plated Ball End Tech, but this will not be my intended travel razor, as I have no real preference in that department. A folding comb and the Ball End Tech were the only items included with the case, and by all indications, were original to it when new. There now is no more room in the medicine cabinet, save for one of the Pre War Fat Handled Tech razors once it is re-plated by Chris Evatt. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrownView attachment 787019 View attachment 787020 View attachment 787021 View attachment 787022
Looks great, Tony.

Thank you Adam! It is an unusual accessory for certain, and a perfect compliment to my early Super Speed razors. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Thank You M. Lee! I have methodically assembled all of the period mugs that I have, and that has been perhaps more fun than locating the mainstream early Super Speeds. I have not seen a dedicated travel razor case that early, so I jumped on it. It is indeed archetypal for the early 1950's. When we were preparing my late parent's house and the house I grew up in for the market- my wife and I found all of our childhood cowboy boots. Tony Llamas too..., but not as famous as this pair.
Carroll Shelby Boots.jpg
God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

The Y4, 1940's style Super Speed, along with two Pre-War, Fat Handle Tech razors, will be readied for their journey to Cap's house in the next day or so. As mentioned in a previous posting- I was able to acquire an embossed leather razor travel case dating to 1953. Inside was a Y4, gold plated Ball End Tech, but this will not be my intended travel razor, as I have no real preference in that department. A folding comb and the Ball End Tech were the only items included with the case, and by all indications, were original to it when new. There now is no more room in the medicine cabinet, save for one of the Pre War Fat Handled Tech razors once it is re-plated by Chris Evatt. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrownView attachment 787019 View attachment 787020 View attachment 787021 View attachment 787022

That is one cool case, Tony. For one like myself with a serious AD for leather razor cases it doesn't get better than that. You certainly have a knack for digging these gems out. Congrats and enjoy!

Thank you North Stone Hill! Having been an archaeologist in Round One, I can dig them up if you will... The case is pristine and came with a Y4 gold plated Ball-End Tech and a Y3 Blue Blade still loaded, placing it firmly to 1953 and more correctly in the early Super Speed period. I have cleaned the razor and it will be replaced by a Pre-War Fat Handled Tech in the same finish for travel. Cap has a couple of Y4 Super Speeds to mate a perfect handle with excellent knurling to a very nice head. This will finish the vanity drawer with 16 early mainstream Super Speeds. I also have two packs of period Raleigh cigarettes (I am from Raleigh, North Carolina) to photograph and some Super Speed end-user directions too. We are currently working with Dell to add additional security following an Alureon Trojan infiltration to my network, and this is slowly proving successful. Praise God no compromises- they back-doored the network by lowering the computer security settings on three anti-virus software applications to Windows 8- very sophisticated. This will be totally corrected by tomorrow evening at this time and I will add those promised photographs. This is a scary world- those Super Speed days were indeed good days! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Darn, well you're right. IT security and issues are here to stay, no doubt. I used to travel regularly from Europe to Raleigh for work, that is one fine place to live!
-Peter

Peter; I am fortunate to have close friends in the IT profession who have advised me through this malicious act, as well as an excellent threat deterrent with our Dell Concierge Services. Regardless of your computer maker- these are desperate times during which our lives are continuously invaded by desperate people. During the early Super Speed days and computer infancy, our world was still built on trust, but as the Cold War materialized, our suspicions and distrusts grew, and morals and our moral code went to the curbside. There remains nothing like a good old-fashioned card or letter, and cash still purchases goods and services at last check. Deserving individuals can still be trustworthy, but mankind's inherent good- far less so. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Smoking during the early Super Speed era went hand-in-hand with shaving. Gillette Blue Blade matches and Raleigh Cigarettes seem appropriate for someone who grew up in Raleigh, North Carolina. These two unopened packs are tax-stamped 1943.
Raleigh 903 Cigarettes 1943 Tax Stamp.JPG
Raleigh Cigarettes War Bonds Poster.jpg
God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Thanks for the cigarette picks of these early packs, Tony. The model on the last pack at the bottom looks a lot like Jean Arthur the actress. Well, she does to my old eyes anyhow:001_rolle

Thanks for posting Kent! I was unable to verify exactly who was featured on the war bonds poster, but it does look liker her though! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Jean Author.jpg

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Smoking during the early Super Speed era went hand-in-hand with shaving. Gillette Blue Blade matches and Raleigh Cigarettes seem appropriate for someone who grew up in Raleigh, North Carolina. These two unopened packs are tax-stamped 1943. View attachment 792291 View attachment 792292 God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
I bet those are stale!!!! I'm sure neither of us want to find out either! Love the matchbook!

Adam; I did the same thing with my MGB restoration, in which everything inside the car is period correct. In that case a vintage pack of Camels. a cigarette case, and an MG Zippo lighter did the trick. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
MGB Zippo Lighter and Camel Cigarettes with Case.JPG

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Adam; I did the same thing with my MGB restoration, in which everything inside the car is period correct. In that case a vintage pack of Camels. a cigarette case, and an MG Zippo lighter did the trick. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Safety-Fast. I had two MGBs and an A. The A was a nightmare, the first B was wire wheels, knock off hubs and the multi piece top that you disassembled and put in it's bags in the boot. The second actually had lug nuts and a fold down top. But when I stopped for gas and they checked the oil the attendants still asked "Where's the battery?"

It was a time when a car was considered secure when only covered by a snap on tonneau cover.

My MGB Front View Parents Driveway 1980.JPG
Jar; Simpler times indeed when humanity perhaps had a more honest side. You could also get a parts car for free- just haul it home. Because my car was built as a rally and autocross car- it was only fitted with a Works competition hardtop which are now quite desirable. The same second owner replaced the wire wheels for Dunlop steel disk wheels, and changed the two six-volt batteries to a single 12-volt in the boot inside a marine battery box. This helped to equalize the weight and place some over the rear axle on the passenger side- a nice modification for the vintage auto-crosser, and a common one in period. The car will be shown with the Antique Automobile Cub of America's newly sanctioned Modified Class, and because of that, several modifications will be retained that were otherwise going to be reversed, such as rebuilding the original battery boxes. for regional and national level MG meets- an afternoon's work changes things back to how they would like them displayed. However- once this is all out of my system- it goes back together for long distance touring, and that means with an eye for practicality. I will carry a DOP kit complete with Super Speeds- like I said- practicality. Safety Fast Sir! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

I found a 1954 Super Speed yesterday at an antique shop and got a great deal on it. Came in an un-cracked red/clear plastic case and looks nearly new. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I'm excited to do so. The weight and feel of it is so much nicer than the Vikings Blade Chieftain I've been using. The Chieftain is a good razor, but it's easy to tell how much higher the quality of the old Gillette is.

I found a 1954 Super Speed yesterday at an antique shop and got a great deal on it. Came in an un-cracked red/clear plastic case and looks nearly new. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I'm excited to do so. The weight and feel of it is so much nicer than the Vikings Blade Chieftain I've been using. The Chieftain is a good razor, but it's easy to tell how much higher the quality of the old Gillette is.
You'll love it!
Thanks for posting/sharing. Vintage is too much fun not to indulge!

Amniculi; We must have pictures of course! But only because we do indeed want to share in your excitement, and not for proof, I might add. A 1954 Z3 Flare Tip ranks as perhaps my all-time favorite Super Speed! If you need tips on how to beautify the case, I have a detailed explanation
Gillette 1954 Z3 Flare Tip Super Speed .JPG
within the thread.

Thanks Ozark Kedger for your prayers! You have been a blessing my friend! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Top Bottom