What's new

Super Speed Razors: The Post World War II Shaving Culture in America to 1955

Thank you Adam! I mowed three acres this weekend without keeling over, so that is progress indeed! I am on the road to wellness! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
1950's Yard Mowing.jpg

My cultural interests in more modern American Indians center around the Sioux. In the 1920's, advertisement and cosmetic mirrors were utilized by many of the northern Plains tribes for ornamentation, and this practice sparked my finding a small assortment of them. These will all display in my 1950's office. The baby moccasins were pawned in Black Rabbit, Minnesota, and the quillwork and men's moccasins found near Pine Ridge, South Dakota. As for their age, the late 1960's is a good ballpark. Beverly Wheeler lazy-stitch beaded the larger pair, and Harry Blue Legs was the porcupine quill worker. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Advertisement and Cosmetic Mirrors, Sharpening Stones.JPG
Sioux Fully Beaded Moccasins.JPG
Sioux Baby Moccasins, Porcupine Quillwork.JPG

Steve; It will be an eclectic mix, this office. The emphasis will be comfort, and surrounding myself with the things I enjoy- a Man Room if you will! Not too sure of those talents-some days I wonder... Thanks though! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

There will be variety I assure you. With it raining all weekend, I will take more photographs, and incorporate lighting variables into the equation rather than just bathroom vanity lights as Nemo has suggested. His photographs are my inspiration! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
There will be variety I assure you. With it raining all weekend, I will take more photographs, and incorporate lighting variables into the equation rather than just bathroom vanity lights as Nemo has suggested. His photographs are my inspiration! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
He does have a knack, doesn't he? [emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Adam; The site is indeed blessed with a number of excellent photographers, but Nemo or Doug is the best. His photographic experience was with Leica and Nikon cameras in the older days-when one controlled virtually all aspects of the shot. Mine is extensive, but entirely different, as archaeology site photography demanded high light images with absolute clarity. I do value his advice! I still have a Nikon FM, which I had re-felted and the mechanism cleaned several years ago. Despite the ease that digital technology offers- there is nothing like Ektachrome or Kodachrome! Kodak has revived Ecktachrome, and possibly will do the same for Kodachrome film as well in a 35mm format. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Tony,

I was interested in your comments about digital and film photography. Many decades ago I was a semi-serious amateur photographer. Then digital camera's came along, and the early digital pictures I would see were often of lackluster quality.

Besides, I had several good quality cameras (one is a Canon EOS Rebel) and I just couldn't see disposing of them and buying an expensive digital camera.

Was I crazy?

Are you suggesting film photography is returning to popularity? I'd be interested in your thoughts on 35mm film vs. digital photography for an 80 year old ordinary guy whose present interest in photography can be described as passive.

Steve; You are definitely not crazy! The popularity of the 35mm format remains strong, and it is enjoying a comeback among folks who demand the variability and artistry that manual cameras afford. Digital cameras are better for overall acuity or clarity in my opinion, and those with sound photographic skills can produce the same or similar affects. For Kodak to re-introduce a previously discontinued film is quite a statement. I shoot my Nikon FM primarily with a Nikkor macro lens and various filters. The digital camera is primarily a point, focus, and shoot camera from which the results do not require developing, just a download to your computer and can be manipulated from the computer. I have a Nikon Coolpix L830, which has a manual override so it can be used like an SLR. Based on Nemo's response to my question, I will get off of my point-and-shoot rear end and put some real effort into my pictures. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Love digital photography! My camera has all the skill, I do not. The right partnership for me.
Such an important tool for many reasons. Love the pics posted on this sight!

Thank you Ozark Kedger! Good to hear from you Sir! I am planning to learn some more advanced techniques in the days ahead, so hopefully my skills will improve. I do like my Nikon digital, and it is well worth the effort to use it well. We picked it up on a model close-out with a fitted case and battery charger pack; wife approved of course. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

I use the Canon Rebel series and several years back picked up a couple books that are written for owners/users of those models. What an incredible help they were and still are. Don't think I'll ever learn enough. The capabilities of digital equipment blows my mind!
Many years ago (1970's) I worked everyday with a Zeiss rail still camera shooting hardware pieces for a wholesale hardware firm's catalog. Each shot taken and developed (B&W) one at a time. Spent seven hours a day in the darkroom, I look back on that now with joy. What an enjoyable journey life is!
side note, I'm powerwalking to lower my bp too Tony! You bless my day brother.

My blood pressures finally stabilized after three weeks on losartan and verapamil. They also tolerate exercise well, which I have increased. Thank you Ozark Kedger- you are the blessing my friend. God Bless! Tony Brown mgbbrown

So much history and information in this thread, big thanks to you mgbbrown for taking the time to type it all out and share!
Glad to hear your illness is clearing and you are feeling better.

Thank you DE Fan! I have much more to share, especially once several razors go off to Captain Murphy in Idaho for an overhaul and handle swap to end up with an exceptional user grade Y3. I have restored the correct case, and it has an un-crazed lid and dispenser. The donor case for the lid was a Blue Tip Super Speed case, and that was complete with a A4 date coded six blade, Blue Blade dispenser and instructions that were as if they had just been opened! In all of my Super Speed quests- this is the first set of instructions I have located. A fitting finale. This is my sixteenth and last mainstream, early Super Speed razor.

I have also located a leather razor case from the 1950's in exceptional, virtually unused condition with the leather embossed with small cattle brands. Inside was a gold Ball End Tech with a Y4 date code and loaded with a Y3 Blue Blade, so I can determine a relative date of 1953 for the case. The allure of the West was found everywhere at that time, from Hop Along Cassidy to Westward Ho China, from the Lone Ranger to the rise of the dude ranch. I will replace that razor with a nickel plated Pre-War Fat Handle Tech, which is soon to be also on its way to Cap and eventually Chris Evatt for re-plating. Not necessarily correct, but I do plan to use it as a personal preference.

Of course smoking was the rage during and following the War, so no gathering of Super Speed shaving culture items should be without a pack of cigarettes and book of matches. The cigarettes are un-filtered Raleigh 903's, and I was able to locate two packs, which remain unopened in their cellophane wrappers. Being from Raleigh, I thought this was only fitting. Their tobacco tax stamps date them to 1943. With them will be an unused book of matches, advertising Gillette Blue Blades.

The last American shaving cultural item is an exceptional Pre-War Buffalo China mug in the Lune Lamelle pattern. It is virtually unused, with a flared base and single finger style handle. It is the only one that I personally have seen, as the coffee cup was generally ordered for restaurant service. It already has a cake of Modern Williams inside. Please understand that pictures will be forthcoming, and despite the general notion, these items do indeed exist, even without them.

My restoration and curative efforts have of course been hampered by my health. This too has a fantastic report, as my blood pressures have receded to their lowest in years, well within the average for adult males. Pulse remains somewhat elevated at times, but certainly not enjoying the wild rampage of a month ago. My bronchitis has also resolved, but I have yet to regain any vocal volume. I can only give God the credit, as our church in Creedmoor has bathed me in prayer.

It too has been quite satisfying to discover that all of the tales that my father told my brother and I were true. I particularly enjoyed finding his University of North Carolina ID badge when he enrolled to attend medical school there, as UNC is my alma mata. My mother has also had some interesting aspects of her past unfolded, as well as some of her sisters. I very much look forward to continuing my efforts and will provide a report. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Roy Rodgers.jpg
Howdy Doody.jpg
Wallace China Westward Ho Till Goodman.jpg

Thank you DE Fan! I have much more to share, especially once several razors go off to Captain Murphy in Idaho for an overhaul and handle swap to end up with an exceptional user grade Y3. I have restored the correct case, and it has an un-crazed lid and dispenser. The donor case for the lid was a Blue Tip Super Speed case, and that was complete with a A4 date coded six blade, Blue Blade dispenser and instructions that were as if they had just been opened! In all of my Super Speed quests- this is the first set of instructions I have located. A fitting finale. This is my sixteenth and last mainstream, early Super Speed razor.

I have also located a leather razor case from the 1950's in exceptional, virtually unused condition with the leather embossed with small cattle brands. Inside was a gold Ball End Tech with a Y4 date code and loaded with a Y3 Blue Blade, so I can determine a relative date of 1953 for the case. The allure of the West was found everywhere at that time, from Hop Along Cassidy to Westward Ho China, from the Lone Ranger to the rise of the dude ranch. I will replace that razor with a nickel plated Pre-War Fat Handle Tech, which is soon to be also on its way to Cap and eventually Chris Evatt for re-plating. Not necessarily correct, but I do plan to use it as a personal preference.

Of course smoking was the rage during and following the War, so no gathering of Super Speed shaving culture items should be without a pack of cigarettes and book of matches. The cigarettes are un-filtered Raleigh 903's, and I was able to locate two packs, which remain unopened in their cellophane wrappers. Being from Raleigh, I thought this was only fitting. Their tobacco tax stamps date them to 1943. With them will be an unused book of matches, advertising Gillette Blue Blades.

The last American shaving cultural item is an exceptional Pre-War Buffalo China mug in the Lune Lamelle pattern. It is virtually unused, with a flared base and single finger style handle. It is the only one that I personally have seen, as the coffee cup was generally ordered for restaurant service. It already has a cake of Modern Williams inside. Please understand that pictures will be forthcoming, and despite the general notion, these items do indeed exist, even without them.

My restoration and curative efforts have of course been hampered by my health. This too has a fantastic report, as my blood pressures have receded to their lowest in years, well within the average for adult males. Pulse remains somewhat elevated at times, but certainly not enjoying the wild rampage of a month ago. My bronchitis has also resolved, but I have yet to regain any vocal volume. I can only give God the credit, as our church in Creedmoor has bathed me in prayer.

It too has been quite satisfying to discover that all of the tales that my father told my brother and I were true. I particularly enjoyed finding his University of North Carolina ID badge when he enrolled to attend medical school there, as UNC is my alma mata. My mother has also had some interesting aspects of her past unfolded, as well as some of her sisters. I very much look forward to continuing my efforts and will provide a report. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrownView attachment 785114 View attachment 785115 View attachment 785117
Nice find with the razors and cases, can't wait to see the pictures as they sound magnificent!
Your health issue kinda hit's home with me as I am still getting over a bout of walking pneumonia from about mid March; my breathing is much better but I still have the fatigue symptoms and I can't wait for those go disappear.

Thanks DE Fan- Walking pneumonia is quite serious and could have lasting effects- I will pray from improvement and complete recovery Sir! I could stage a razor shot with one of my other Super Speeds to hurry things up, or just shoot a photo of the case. For 1940's style Super Speeds, the handle detaches at the ferrule base, so they are easily swapped to end up with a nearly perfect razor. The cattle brand embossed razor case is quite interesting, and is the only one I have seen like it. The Buffalo China, Lune Lamelle mug, I believe, was a dedicated for shaving. It appears virtually unused, and will be a fitting companion to my period shaving gear. I will have pictures out soon! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Buffalo Pottery was named after the Upstate New York City of Buffalo where the pottery is located. Buffalo Pottery began when the owner of the Larkin Soap Company decided to commission a limited edition soap dish to help shore flagging sales. Over time, Buffalo Pottery products grew more popular than the soap, so Mr. Larkin diversified his holdings and opened a pottery business. The Buffalo Pottery Company survived the requisite growing pains and never failed to produce the finest pottery in the northeast.

On March 15, 1932, Buffalo Pottery was granted US Patent 1849272 for this ceramic-making process in which two or more layers of clay are used to form the appearance of an inlay. Lamelle pieces are most often two color combinations with a black pin line inner-rim border. Lune was a signature light blue glaze of the Buffalo pottery.

Lune Lamelle was a high-end restaurant and railroad ware line offered by Buffalo Pottery beginning in 1932. Mugs were not included in the offered place setting, but were sold as an accessory item within the line. This example appears to have been unused. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Buffalo Pottery 1903.jpg
Buffalo China Lune Lamelle Shaving Mug Circa 1933.JPG
Buffalo Chaina Lune Lamelle Shaving Mug Interior.JPG
Buffalo China Lune Lamelle Backstamp and Footrim.JPG

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Buffalo Pottery was named after the Upstate New York City of Buffalo where the pottery is located. Buffalo Pottery began when the owner of the Larkin Soap Company decided to commission a limited edition soap dish to help shore flagging sales. Over time, Buffalo Pottery products grew more popular than the soap, so Mr. Larkin diversified his holdings and opened a pottery business. The Buffalo Pottery Company survived the requisite growing pains and never failed to produce the finest pottery in the northeast.

On March 15, 1932, Buffalo Pottery was granted US Patent 1849272 for this ceramic-making process in which two or more layers of clay are used to form the appearance of an inlay. Lamelle pieces are most often two color combinations with a black pin line inner-rim border. Lune was a signature light blue glaze of the Buffalo pottery.

Lune Lamelle was a high-end restaurant and railroad ware line offered by Buffalo Pottery beginning in 1932. Mugs were not included in the offered place setting, but were sold as an accessory item within the line. This example appears to have been unused. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrownView attachment 786028 View attachment 786030 View attachment 786031 View attachment 786032
For the love of Lamille!!! She's a beaut!

Top Bottom