What's new

Super Speed Identification

That's a possibility I'd considered, but the Gillette guide at Safetyrazors.net indicates that production of the SS stopped around 1974 - but they qualify that with some ???s so that's probably it. Maybe made overseas for local consumption.

D1 is my birth quarter so I'm doing some homework to see if I really want to acquire a set of D1 Gillettes.

The razor pictures is from the '80's, and if it is D-1, then it is from the first quarter of 1983 (Jan-Feb-Mar) production. That style of SuperSpeed was made until around '86 or '87. I have an identical razor, an F-1 from 1985. Very nice razors, though a bit mild.

(Wow in the time it took me to type this, pictures and more info had been provided, I have slow fingers.)

While I'm here, I have a question about a 40's SuperSpeed. I have what appears to be a no notch 1947 SuperSpeed, but on closer examination, It looks to have the same head as my 1941 Ranger Tech, except it has end caps. The blade plate and silo doors look like those from the Tech, but the end caps and handle are those from a '47 SS. When Gillette resumed consumer razor production in 1946, does anyone know if they just took whatever parts they had left over from 1941 production and began to assemble new SuperSpeeds,, similar to what auto companies did, that is, build new cars from pre-war parts and call them '46's?

Thanks, everyone, for the info. I'm thinking I should keep researching and if I really want to assemble a set I should start with the B/S/T listings here. I've had just enough good luck on ebay to lull me into a false sense of security...

While I'm here, I have a question about a 40's SuperSpeed. I have what appears to be a no notch 1947 SuperSpeed, but on closer examination, It looks to have the same head as my 1941 Ranger Tech, except it has end caps. The blade plate and silo doors look like those from the Tech, but the end caps and handle are those from a '47 SS. When Gillette resumed consumer razor production in 1946, does anyone know if they just took whatever parts they had left over from 1941 production and began to assemble new SuperSpeeds,, similar to what auto companies did, that is, build new cars from pre-war parts and call them '46's?

From this time it gives some mixes. There is a 1946 Ranger Tech with endcaps, like the Super-Speed:

proxy.php

Check on the bottom of the head.
"MADE IN USA" = PRE WWII PARTS
"MADE IN U.S.A." = POST WWII PARTS
Everything I've seen so far with end caps says U.S.A.

***edit*** Also the 1947 Super Speed started the run using up some of the remaining noncreased safety bar (1946) heads but switched to the creased safety bar heads during that year.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, thanks for this quick read on the evolution of the Super Speed. Just what I need to get me on my way to Super Speed buying disorder. And so the saga begins... Really, thank you for posting a concise overview of the Super Speeds, this is the kind of information I want to know before 'investing'. It's acquisition time...

Gentlemen, thanks for this quick read on the evolution of the Super Speed. Just what I need to get me on my way to Super Speed buying disorder. And so the saga begins... Really, thank you for posting a concise overview of the Super Speeds, this is the kind of information I want to know before 'investing'. It's acquisition time...

yuo can thank Larry (Asylumguido) but he is no longer a participating member at this time. I will pass it along to him on his # Tweeter feed .

Thanx to this thread, I just realized the Super Speed I found in the wild with original cardboard box is a '48-'50, I paid $35 OTD at an antique store a few months back, haven't even used it yet! I use my British Super Speed exclusively and am anxious to compare the two. Are you going to include the Bitish SS in your encyclopedic post? Since it is more SS than Rocket I think it will be a good transition into that whole other can-o-worms. I can supply detailed pics and info if you would like.

-Xander
[email protected]

I have one of each, and other than the knob, they are identical. Neither one has any date codes. The Black Tip has an occasional stickiness in its door opening, requiring a fingernail to pop the too-tight door loose. Mine are quite ordinary, nothing special I can see to either of them, so no photos.

I just used your thread to help me figure out that my razor is a Gillette 1966 Superspeed L3! The information at this site: http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/solid guard bar.htm also helped with the identification. I found this razor years ago when I moved into an appartment and the previous tenant had left it behind. I cleaned it up and have used it off ond on. Now that I am getting more serious about DE shaving, I have been using it a lot more. Thanks for this thread!

Rereading this thread brings up a question I have. I have two 48-49 SS but one has a flat circle around the push rod in the center inside the head and the other has a raised or crimped circle around the push rod (they look like the pictures in post #87 but both say package)
I thought I saw a thread talking about this to say one was a 48 and the other was a 49 but I can't find it.

OK, I have a problem, I have what looks like a "Black Tip" with the steel handle,(W-2) Problem is, the knob, while it looks exactly like the plastic knob I see on every other of its kind, the knob on this one is metal, (non magnetic surgical stainless I assume???" The knob does not have the knurling as do the 40's style super speed, instead having the vertical lines exactly like the plastic "black tip's".....So....anyone know exactly what I have here????$metal tip 002.jpg$metal tip 001.jpg

Thanx in advance!
Ed Meyer

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Bump To The Top; there's some great information and photos here!

Thread may be old, but all the wonderful Super Speeds, they are even older.

AA

Rereading this thread brings up a question I have. I have two 48-49 SS but one has a flat circle around the push rod in the center inside the head and the other has a raised or crimped circle around the push rod (they look like the pictures in post #87 but both say package)
I thought I saw a thread talking about this to say one was a 48 and the other was a 49 but I can't find it.

In my observation of a lot of super speeds, I've noticed that the flat circle around the push rod occurs in the 1947 unnotched model where as the crimped or raised circle is on all super speeds after 1950 (PAT. NOS. ON PKG) and later. This would indicate that somewhere in the 1948-1949 range, they changed this element of manufacturing. When the change occurred I do not know but if anyone does know, this might help to narrow down the identification of the 1948 vs the 1949 models.

Top Bottom