What's new

Super Speed Identification

V

VR6ofpain

Check out this '47 Fnord5 found. The area of the handle between the polished portion and the knurling looks sort of elongated like a 50's (black tip) SS:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=922689&postcount=1

proxy.php

This thread made me look at some of my 1970's style Superspeeds and I have found two different types of the black handled razor. The one on the right is a W-2 the one on the left is an M-2.

Notice the lack of the 2 prongs above the endcap in the first picture and the different shaped valley in the head of the W-2 razor in the second picture.

I can narrow this down a little further. In with a batch of razors I found at a thrift store came 2 black handled Superspeeds dated O1 (69) and P4 (70). The O1 has the 2 prongs above the endcap and the more diamond shaped valley, the P4 matches the other.

Thanks you all for taking the time to do all the work involved in this post :thumbup:

Now I know I have been shaving with a 1951 SS it's 9 years older than I am:eek:

Thanks you all for taking the time to do all the work involved in this post :thumbup:

Now I know I have been shaving with a 1951 SS it's 9 years older than I am:eek:

I just shaved with a 1904 Old Type Double Ring this weekend that is 54 years older me! :biggrin:

I was looking for this thread to catch up on my knowledge of SSs since I have a 40s and 70s. I should have known it would have been at the bottom of your post!

Thanks for putting this together.

I was looking for this thread to catch up on my knowledge of SSs since I have a 40s and 70s. I should have known it would have been at the bottom of your post!

Thanks for putting this together.

I just added it there recently so I wouldn't have to go digging for it either. Now I can simply say, "look at my signature". :thumbup1:

Thanks to Guido for giving the Superspeeds all the loving care that they deserve. And for educating the rest of us!!

That was a very nice and informative thread. Thank you Guido. I've been wondering if the name 'super speed' is simply a model/name that Gillette kept alive for all those years. In other words, is there a unique mechanical or physical characteristic that all
SS's share?

That was a very nice and informative thread. Thank you Guido. I've been wondering if the name 'super speed' is simply a model/name that Gillette kept alive for all those years. In other words, is there a unique mechanical or physical characteristic that all
SS's share?

They were all the mainstream, economical, yet quality TTO razors of their era from 1947 until well into the 70's. The Knack was introduced to fill the void.

I just wanted to say thanks to Larry for doing all this work.

I love this post.

Keep asking and adding, because this looks like it's getting to be pretty much the definitive source of info on the subject.

Thanks again.

There was a variation of the 40's style known as the Black Tip. It came in the aluminum handle (bottom) and the standard handle (top). The TTO knob on the Black Tip was the only plastic example in the Super Speeds.

I have a question going back to page 1. The 40s style black tips- which years were these produced? Was this an option (as well as aluminum or not) that you could choose or not choose when selecting a razor to purchase at that time?

I have a question going back to page 1. The 40s style black tips- which years were these produced? Was this an option (as well as aluminum or not) that you could choose or not choose when selecting a razor to purchase at that time?

The black tips were made in 1951 and 1952. I have a nickel plated W2 and two aluminum W3 black tips. I also have an aluminum X1 from 1952 and a non-black tip X4 from 1952. I would think when the razors were new it would be difficult to tell the difference between the two without actually picking them up. I suppose it would depend on how old or new a store's stock was as to what you bought.

Len

Guido, thank you for putting this together.

I am a new comer to Wet Shaving, Super Speeds and the like.

This has been most informative

Guido, thanks for all this info. One more question - which years of the plastic tip SS had the washer between knob and handle? Thanks!

Top Bottom