What's new

Super silvertip for £30?!

So, I've been out of the loop for a while but a supplier (not sure if I'm allowed to discuss suppliers when talking about prices due to it potentially being an advertisement so if that's the case could the mods snip out the supplier name, or someone let me know and I'll edit it out), Hariyali London are selling their 'super silvertip' brushes for £30 (give or take a few quid depending on the handle) when I got into wet shaving (around 2014)I got an Edwin and Jagger best badger brush and it cost me at least £20 any silvertip brushes were way above the £60 mark, easily reaching £100 or more from certain manufacturers.
Have things changed with the introduction of these new synthetic brushes to the point that manufacturers are selling silvertip and super silvertip at crazy low prices or is this a case of "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is"?
I could use a really fancy shaving brush; I could do with another straight razor too but ebay prices for even vintage blades are high so I reckon I'll wait for car boot sales to start back up as old straight razors can be incredibly cheap there and I got one in great condition (then embarrassingly chipped it whilst honing so lost about 1mm off the blade, poor storage means that it's corroded a little too, not much but enough to make me oil it if it's to sit unused for any period of time. I could also use a bigger cotocule or other sharpening stone, however I'm not a rich man.

Just if anyone is curious (this isn't really related to the thread) found the brishes while searching ebay for strop balm and wanted strop balm from a seller that is at least half way decent (I got goven a strop for my birthday from Executive shaving company that is about 30cm workable length (they advertise more, but you don't strop over the embossing) and a width of 8.5cm at quite a reasonable price, however they recommend using strop balm as the leather is "raw leather" in their words and the balm from their site isn't as reasonable in terms of price and quantity, not to mention they charge for shipping so I was exploring ebay to see if they sold balm any cheaper and the first named balm I came across (£10 for 100ml; non abrasive) so I checked their site out and saw the brushes.

So that's my question (in essay format) any experience with this brand? Should they be avoided at that price or has the introduction of quality synthetics changed things?

Badger is still much more expensive generally speaking, as badger hair is relatively rare, especially higher grades. Synthetics don't change that fact and, as such, aren't likely to drop in price for that reason alone.

I don't believe any badger can compete with the price/performance ratio of any modern synthetic regardless of grade. If affordability is important to you, then boar or synthetics really are the way to go.

If you really want a Silvertip badger brush I'd be prepared to spend more. I've never tried the specific brush you mentioned, but I've never been impressed with a <$35 badger brush (though I've only tried 3 or 4 in that price range). As far as synthetics affecting pricing strategies, I could only speculate beyond my initial statement...although I did read that Simpson justifies the price points are some of their synthetic brushes on the early pricing of ....I believe it was the Silvertip Fibres from Muhle?

Last edited:
Badger is still much more expensive generally speaking, as badger hair is relatively rare, especially higher grades. Synthetics don't change that fact and, as such, aren't likely to drop in price for that reason alone.

I don't believe any badger can compete with the price/performance ratio of any modern synthetic regardless of grade. If affordability is important to you, then boar or synthetics really are the way to go.

If you really want a Silvertip badger brush I'd be prepared to spend more. I've never tried the specific brush you mentioned, but I've never been impressed with a <$35 badger brush (though I've only tried 3 or 4 in that price range). As far as synthetics affecting pricing strategies, I could only speculate beyond my initial statement...although I did read that Simpson justifies the price points are some of their synthetic brushes on the early pricing of ....I believe it was the Silvertip Fibres from Muhle?
I've already got two Badger brushes, one being a relatively old (1960-1980 new old stock) Vulfix pure badger (I assume, very firm bristles) one that I was given, but I've never used it and have an Edwin and Jagger best badger brush which I use every time I shave.
Personally I'm just a big fan of badger over plastic bristles, that said I've never felt the new synthetic silvertip brushes so maybe they are extremely good.
I guess you've kind of answered my question in that a brush claiming to be silvertip and costing only £30 (About 38 dollars) either can't be silvertip, or is poorly made, some threads talking about the brand (Haryali London) which seems to be an Indian brand say that their brushes are somewhat poorly finished, shed lots of hair or are just all over poorly made.
If that's the case it's a pity really as it's a waste of silvertip fur, for £5 more work (£10 more cost to the consumer) they could probably make a much better brush if they are using real silvertip.

Yeah, some distributors will flat out lie about the hair grade. Others will use real Silvertip but will use so little hair that performance is compromised.

If you insist on badger, Yaqi's badger brushed are the least expensive badger brushed that I would comfortably label as 'good' brushes. I hear good things about Whipped Dog Silvertip and high mountain knots, too.

Honestly, unless someone I knew whose opinion I valued vouched for it being quality, I wouldn't expect much. I've tried cheaper brands, and I'm not saying you can't find some values out there. In terms of the best value I ever came across was a 30mm Silvertip from Maseto, and only the 30mm knots for whatever reason. I tried smaller sizes and the quality of the hair just didn't feel the same. This was years back. I can't speak for now. In terms of the ready to buy knots, I'm not a fan of either. I've found the long term established companies overall to be the most to my liking in terms of feel. I guess you could summarize it down to I'm a brush snob. I feel the extra cost is warranted. That's not to say I pay full retail value for everything. Sales are wonderful, but even more so, the BST forums have been great to me over the years.

Hariyali of London is a brand from China. There are a lot of discount badger brushes from China. I would recommend Yaqi as that is a trusted and tried brand on this forum (I have a couple) and, for the price, they produce some really good brushes. That said, I haven't had ANY brush come close to a Shavemac or Paladin for quality. I really think you get what you pay for.

The hair itself isn't rare or expensive. It's a waste product. Sorting, lining it up, and tying it is what makes it expensive.

Lately they've started more aggressively treating the hair to soften it so they don't have to sort it as much (if at all)... making it muuuuuuuuuch cheaper. I'd assume certain higher end brands still demand hair that is sorted better from their suppliers and with less harsh softening/bleaching treatments, rather than just using these more aggressively treated hairs... but I doubt many if any brands outside of the well established ones even care to make that demand. And I'd fully expect all the value brands to jump on cheaper & Softer hair without a second thought. Even at the high end many of the more recently arrived makers seek out and advertise the gel or hooked tips that appear to be a sign of the most extreme levels of this treatment.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
No, badgers have not gotten cheaper with the influx of synthetic brushes. You can get a really fine boar brush under $30 (USD). Opinions vary, but I personally wouldn't touch a badger brush for under $60. Really nice silvertips are usually well over $100.

I'd opt for synthetic or boar if you're shopping for a bargain. I've been on this forum for many years and I've never heard of the brush you mentioned - not a good sign.

Top Bottom