What's new

Super Dominant Right Eye

Ok, I am getting good with a DE and am now thinking of moving on to a straight. I do have one problem though. I had a child hood accident that makes it very difficult for me to be able to use my left hand for straight razor shaving. Any opinions? Is there a technique using only the right hand? Thanks

Lots of guys use only their right hand.

I myself did so for the first few months when learning to use straights.

Go for it!

Think about using a SextoBlade or similar. Buy one that is meant to be a shaver (will be named SextoBlade). You can get the medical versions (stainless handles) on eBay for $22 or so. Use Personna hair shaper blades. That setup is much milder than a broken blade shavette and closely approximates a regular straight that has been honed and stropped well.

Shaving with the dominant hand is fine. Many people (though not the majority) do.

Many have started with a shavette of some kind, and many swears to Feathers, personally I find them more aggressive than a "real" straight.

My advice would be to keep your eyes open in the BST for a cheap, shave ready straight, or to get a kit from Larry at Whipped Dog, not quite sure what he charges now, but it's more than affordable.

I have amblyopia in my left eye. I keep both eyes open when I use a straight and use both hands in play meaning right on right and left on left. I don't have strabismus though.. just crappy vision in that eye.

Last edited:
Why not practice skimming shaving cream off your face with the back side of a butter knife or similar instrument just to see if its awkward or not?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Where there is a will, there is a way. A year from now you will wonder why you ever shaved with anything else :wink:

my left hand doesn't work well after a string of rock climbing and mountain biking accidents- it could also be so right hand dominate from culinary school- that I only use my right hand to shave. Some angles are tricky but I get a great shave with the least amount of irration compared to any other razor type while shaving with a straight.

Whippeddog is some good stuff BTW...

Search for YouTube videos of people using kamisori (traditional Japanese straight razors). These razors are asymmetrically ground (one side of the blade is concave, while the other has a bit of a ridge bisecting it), and as I recall, were designed to be used by somebody other than the person being shaved. Now, when shaving themselves, some people who use these razors like to use one side of the blade only (and one hand only). This involves some impressive contortions, and these are what could help you. Two examples are: reaching over your head or around it in order to grab your other ear, and turning the blade away from yourself in order to shave the opposite cheek.

Here's one video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom