What's new

Super Bowl eats

So let's hear some ideas. Appetizers, meals, desserts, and drink ideas. I will add some as I go.

Almost that time of year so I gotta start planning ahead for my "holiday".

Chicken wings are a classic.
When SWMBO and I make ours now, we make up different sauces with what we have handy.
Right now, Lemon BBQ is the favourite.
The nice thing is you can make up small amounts of sauce to try. Usually on my plate there is 2 or 3 different ones to keep things lively.

I did a Honey Mustard BBQ just last week that was nice.
Thai Chili BBQ is good too. Pretty much anything with a BBQ base is good.

I like 'em dripping in sauce. 2 napkins, no less.

I'm heading over to my German butcher for our traditional assortment of sausages and other pork products. My friends refer to it as the "Salute to Swine."

In addition to chicken wings, we usually make up a large platter of crackers,cheese, and pepperoni. We also frequently make a nacho cheese dip with Velveeta cheese, hamburger, and green chiles in it. Yummm.

Cheese dip: 2 lb block of Velveeta or similar "cheese product", 1lb roll of hot sausage (I like Jimmy Dean), large jar of your favorite salsa. Fry sausage, add to cubed velveeta and salsa in crock pot. Turn crock pot on hi for about 1.5 hours, or until cheese is melted, then turn down to low. Grab some corn chips or tortilla chips and enjoy.

I also like meatballs, buffalo chicken dip, and chicken wings for the big game.

My wife usually requests chips and salsa, so I make them at home.

Take some flour tortillas, melt some butter and brush it on both sides. Sprinkle some chili powder on and cut them into triangles through the middle with a pizza cutter. Bake at 350 for about 7 minutes to make them crispy. Great homemade tortilla chips.

Salsa is your typical, nothing special but its fresh...diced tomatoes, green peppers, onions, chili powder, oregano, splash of lime or lemon juice, maybe a couple of crushed red pepper flakes.

Last edited:
I'm not looking any further than this weekend. For the Steelers game, I might make some pierogies, chip chopped ham sandwiches (although I might opt for Isaly's style ham salad), kielbasa and some other homestyle stuff. If I can find some Iron City Beer, I'll be in hog heaven. In fact, I just heard from my local beer distributor and I'm on my way out to buy some now.

Last edited:
A co-worker of mine who is originally from Pitt brought me back some Yuengling.

Just finished bottle #1. Enjoyed the Iron City beer as well. Problem is that child #3 was a by product that my wife and I came back with from our trip to Pitt 3 yrs ago. Lucky for me that #4 is due in 4 weeks so I can drink away tonight with no worries

Mix chopped onions, garlic and sun-dried tomatoes into some cream cheese. Stuff cheese mixture into a jalapeno that has been halved lengthwise and seeded. Wrap with a strip of bacon. Grill until the bacon is done.

I'm not looking any further than this weekend. For the Steelers Jets game, I might make some pierogies, chip chopped ham sandwiches (although I might opt for Isaly's style ham salad), kielbasa and some other homestyle stuff. If I can find some Iron City Beer, I'll be in hog heaven. In fact, I just heard from my local beer distributor and I'm on my way out to buy some now.

FTFY:lol:

This has been a go-to for parties for almost 20 years for me. You can spice it up if you want. This is the mild recipe. :w00t:

"Mexican" Layer Dip

1 (30oz) can refried beans
1 (1.5oz) pkg taco mix
3 avocados, mashed
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
3 Medium tomatoes chopped
12 green onions diced
1 (4oz) can diced green chiles
1 cup monterey jack cheese grated
1 head of lettuce shredded
1 can sliced black olives (small)
lots of Crisp tortilla chips

Mix refried beans with taco mix. set aside. Mix avocados with lemon juice, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Set aside. Mix Tomatoes with green onions and chiles.
LAYER the ingredients on a large plate or pan in this order: Shredded Lettuce, Bean mixture, avocado mixture, and tomato mixture. Top with cheese and olives. Serve as a dip with tortilla chips. Serves... many.

Cheers,
:][:

Just got back from the store. They had two cases of Iron City. I grabbed two sixes and left the rest for any other members of the Steeler Nation who might be on the same quest.

Mix chopped onions, garlic and sun-dried tomatoes into some cream cheese. Stuff cheese mixture into a jalapeno that has been halved lengthwise and seeded. Wrap with a strip of bacon. Grill until the bacon is done.

New item for my menu!!!! :thumbup:

Besides that, honey-kissed wings, chili or gumbo(depending on my mood).

marty

Top Bottom