What's new

Super badger versus silver

Well, I'm not sure I can wait for the B&B brush as my case of brush aquisition disorder is quickly worsening. I want the most bang for the buck. I must admit I like the way the Rooney's look on classic shaving; the handle is beautiful but I have only seen one review for them and I am confused between the difference between the "super badger" one and the "rooney's finest" other than price. I also like the Simpsons but a bit too pricey at the moment. Plisson is also intriguing but even more expensive. That leaves me with Savile row or shavemac... I probably will end up with a brush from Savile Row, however, what is the basic difference between their "super badger" and silver other than price. Knowing me I'll most likely end up with the silver just because it is more "coveted", however maybe someone can talk me out of it and save me some money! Any ideas?

PS... I"m thinking of going around 24 or 25 knott size (after all, I've got to whip up enough lather for my face and head!)

-Brandon

Ugh, this is a can of worms and so much is predicated on personal preference. Do yourself a favor, if you can find some place that sells shaving brushes go and take a look at them, it makes a world of difference. For me, super badger is my favorite and I have all the grades. But alas even among super badger there are variations. Kent's is incredibly soft while Vulfix is stiffer. I would not recommend true silver tip unless you want a scrubbing experience as the bristles are quite stiff. Even then save your money because you can just get a pure badger brush that has the same properties and costs tons less. For me give me a vulfix in super any day and I'm happy as a clam. I don't really need anything else.

Good luck.

Chris

Howdy Brandon,
I wrote a short badger hair primer some time ago for a gent trying to wend his way through the miles of marketing manure being cast about. As if it wasn't bad enough that there are no universally accepted definitions (standards) for badger hair used by the brush houses and venders, the potentates and poobahs of badgerbrushdom frequenting the forums are always willling to add further confusion to the issue by preying upon the lack of standards.
The primer will help you through some of this. At least it will help you formulate the right questions to ask. If nothing else, it will give you something to giggle about. Good luck and enjoy the brush you choose.

It has been a number of years since I tried another brush. having just recently returned to wet shaving with a brush and a DE. I purchased the Rooney Super, style 1, medium and I'm very pleased with it. It works equally well with creams and soaps. It is densely packed, holds allot of water and feels great on the face.

Bud

Thanks for the responses... some food for thought! Ah, an endorsement for the Rooney! Makes my choice a little more difficult... anyone have experience between the savile row super badger vs. silver? Ron's post was informative and showed how difficult it is to navigate the brush advertising world!

PS... I'm going to be in Vegas this weekend... any good shaving stores I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Brandon

HeadandFaceShaver said:
Thanks for the responses... some food for thought! Ah, an endorsement for the Rooney! Makes my choice a little more difficult... anyone have experience between the savile row super badger vs. silver? Ron's post was informative and showed how difficult it is to navigate the brush advertising world!

PS... I'm going to be in Vegas this weekend... any good shaving stores I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Brandon
Brandon,
You can go to T&H as well as Art of Shaving in Vegas and check out/feel supers vs silvertips. AOS is even purported to stock Plissons as well - so you could check those out too. I am sure this will help you make a more informed purchase :biggrin:

mrob said:
Ron,

Maybe you could put together a primer on long badger hair? :biggrin:
It was much easier to do a short badger treatise. Being built low to the ground, they have to deal with gravity much more intimately.:001_rolle

Top Bottom