What's new

Super Adjustable

So I decided to dig out my forth quarter, 1970 Gillette Super Adjustable this morning. I have used it a handful of times but never gave it a shot. You see, I got the SA around the same time I replayed my Slim. The Slim provides a nice shave with my personal favorite Feather blades and it's very shiny and pretty with its new rhodium shell, so I saw no need to change.
My SA is also in very good shape so, to prevent wear, I saw no need to put another adjustable in my rotation. Well, I think I've got a new go-to razor. I got the best, smoothest shave that I've had in months. The SA is an incredible piece of equipment. I do think that the SA requires better technique, as the handle is longer than the slim (and most DE razors for that matter.)
Has anyone else had this experience? It is not nearly as pretty as the Fat Boy or the Slim, but it is a very well-made tool.

That's my birth year/quarter razor so no surprise that it shaves great :). I have a short handled one but have been on the lookout for a long handle.

I have the long handled version and it does take a little getting used to, but it is a great razor. I'm curious as to what setting you used?

SA on 6 is the most comfortable shave I have gotten. And comfort is most important to me. SA is not picky about blade choice and never a nick even when my lather isn't quite perfect. Love it. I still rotate but this SA is definitely the pick of the litter (Fatboy, Red Tip, SS 40's, New long comb), and has knocked a few right out of the rotation (Old type Bulldog, 39c, Little bastone, R41 '13). It's amazing how great this razor is.

SA on 6 is the most comfortable shave I have gotten. And comfort is most important to me. SA is not picky about blade choice and never a nick even when my lather isn't quite perfect. Love it. I still rotate but this SA is definitely the pick of the litter (Fatboy, Red Tip, SS 40's, New long comb), and has knocked a few right out of the rotation (Old type Bulldog, 39c, Little bastone, R41 '13). It's amazing how great this razor is.

I agree. My new favorite.

I currently use a Futur but am hunting down an SA. Blade gap aside, will the handle length of the Futur make this an easy transition?

I had a mint long handle SA once and although I loved the more modern look compared to my Slim or FB, I could not get use to the longer handle. It just didn't work with my technique and I felt in less control of the razor while experiencing minimal feedback. I ended up gifting it last Christmas to a DE shaving friend who gives it much more love than I ever did and prefers longer handle razors.

Also worth noting that the butterfly doors are a thinner grade metal than a Slim or FB adjustable but that doesn't affect any of its functionality.

Top Bottom