What's new

Super Adjustable Short question

Hi all,

Just received the razor. I'm surprised that it doesn't have that final half-turn which my Fat Boy have. Is it normal for this model? Exactly short version.

It should quarter turn...or at least I am almost positive. I'm at work or otherwise I would run to my bathroom and check.

What kind of condition is the razor in? It's possible it is gummed up with old soap crud. A good long soak should help.

The gap should be almost nothing at 1 not sure what it should be opened up, but there should be an obvious difference. No 1/4 turn is usually more of an under clocking issue than over clocking. If it looks like it is barely opening it's probably under clocked, if everything looks good it's probably gunked up and needs soaking and working the knob a bit.

I bought a pristine Gillette Super Adjustable Short Handle razor about a year ago. I had the same problem. I soaked the razor for several hours in warm soapy water, turning the handle back and forth every 15 minutes. That helped some.

But I also shot some Lime-A-Way down its throat and turned the handle back and forth after 5 minutes. It finally loosened up and it now works perfectly and smoothly. The Lime-A-Way is what really loosened the handle. It dissolved the calcium deposits that had built up in the tightening mechanism over time.

Yes. The properly working handle does have the tightening 1/4 turn feature.

Last edited:
I have one of the short handle black beauties as well, a O-2, that didn't do the quarter turn either. After a couple cycles in my ultrasonic cleaner with water and dish soap, it turns the same as my other adjustable Gillettes.

I bought a short handled Super and it took several soakings to get the gunk out. I used water that was just shy of bowling.

Give it a good 24-48 hour soak in warm water with Dawn dish washing liquid in it. Work the action periodically and it will free up. Good luck.

R

romsitsa

I bought a pristine Gillette Super Adjustable Short Handle razor about a year ago. I had the same problem. I soaked the razor for several hours in warm soapy water, turning the handle back and forth every 15 minutes. That helped some.

But I also shot some Lime-A-Way down its throat and turned the handle back and forth after 5 minutes. It finally loosened up and it now works perfectly and smoothly. The Lime-A-Way is what really loosened the handle. It dissolved the calcium deposits that had built up in the tightening mechanism over time.

Yes. The properly working handle does have the tightening 1/4 turn feature.

You are one really lucky lad.

"LIME-A-WAY® is not recommended for use on natural marble, stone, terrazzo, polished or anodized aluminum, metallic or painted surfaces, colored grout or counter tops. Please see product label for full details and precautions."

Adam

My thanks to brother romsitsa for reminding us of the importance of always reading the labels of cleaning products.

Folks, there's been a recent development to my earlier story. After reading romsitsa'a caution I went and retrieved the razor and examined it. Fortunately there was no problem with the finish. I had said I had poured some Lime-A-way into the handle and let it set for 5 minutes. That was an exaggeration. It was probably 2 minutes maximum. I then had finished up by submersing the razor in water, drying it, and pouring a small amount of machine oil into the handle.

Well I now noticed the handle was not working freely again! Not as bad as originally, but maybe the freedom of movement was degraded by 50%. So I soaked the razor last night in hot soapy water and worked the handle back and forth several times during the night. I also put a tiny amount of Lime-A-Way briefly inside the handle, as I had done previously, and worked the handle back and forth. Again, as before, the Lime-A-Way is what really freed the handle.

I'm happy to report the handle movement when tightening it down for the last 1/4 turn now is free, smooth, and normal. No damage was done to the finish. I think what happened that caused a repeat of the problem was it was a mistake to lube the interior with machine oil. I'm guessing the oil congealed with a trace of the lime/soap deposit residue, and resulted again in a difficult and rough turning handle.

Conclusion: I agree Lime-A-Way is risky, and if used it should be used as a last resort sparingly, briefly, and then thoroughly flushed out with a hot soapy water bath. The big lessons were (1) use milder cleaning agents first and use only the harsher ones later as necessary and briefly, and (2) avoid putting oil inside the handle of an adjustable razor. If there's any residual lime or soap the oil can cause potential problems of gumming up a smoothly turning handle. Then too, I'm reminded Gillette didn't oil the handle at the factory and Gillette didn't recommend that maintenance procedure to the users. That should tell us something.

A smoothly turning handle on that final 1/4 turn of these adjustable's is a sweet feeling!

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Hello Steve,

glad it worked.
In theory soap residue will act as a lubricant, this is why cleaned vintage TTOs tend to "squeak".
While US Gillette didn't lube their razors, UK company used generous amounts (handle filled) of machine grease.

Adam

My thanks to brother romsitsa for reminding us of the importance of always reading the labels of cleaning products.

Folks, there's been a recent development to my earlier story. After reading romsitsa'a caution I went and retrieved the razor and examined it. Fortunately there was no problem with the finish. I had said I had poured some Lime-A-way into the handle and let it set for 5 minutes. That was an exaggeration. It was probably 2 minutes maximum. I then had finished up by submersing the razor in water, drying it, and pouring a small amount of machine oil into the handle.

Well I now noticed the handle was not working freely again! Not as bad as originally, but maybe the freedom of movement was degraded by 50%. So I soaked the razor last night in hot soapy water and worked the handle back and forth several times during the night. I also put a tiny amount of Lime-A-Way briefly inside the handle, as I had done previously, and worked the handle back and forth. Again, as before, the Lime-A-Way is what really freed the handle.

I'm happy to report the handle movement when tightening it down for the last 1/4 turn now is free, smooth, and normal. No damage was done to the finish. I think what happened that caused a repeat of the problem was it was a mistake to lube the interior with machine oil. I'm guessing the oil congealed with a trace of the lime/soap deposit residue, and resulted again in a difficult and rough turning handle.

Conclusion: I agree Lime-A-Way is risky, and if used it should be used as a last resort sparingly, briefly, and then thoroughly flushed out with a hot soapy water bath. The big lessons were (1) use milder cleaning agents first and use only the harsher ones later as necessary and briefly, and (2) avoid putting oil inside the handle of an adjustable razor. If there's any residual lime or soap the oil can cause potential problems of gumming up a smoothly turning handle. Then too, I'm reminded Gillette didn't oil the handle at the factory and Gillette didn't recommend that maintenance procedure to the users. That should tell us something.

A smoothly turning handle on that final 1/4 turn of these adjustable's is a sweet feeling!

Excellent Steve. This is good info to know.

Top Bottom