What's new

Super Adjustable setting?

I was in antique store last weekend, looking for a gift for SWMBO, when I spotted a de razor in a original gillette plastic case. It was pretty dirty but seemed like mostly old soap scum, so for $7 I figured why not. Once I got it home, after a long soak in hot water and dish soap, along with some elbow grease and a toothbrush, it was shining like the day it left the Gillette factory. It turned out to be a 1970 "Black Beauty" Super Adjustable, date code P-3. I shaved with it last night, and I did get a BBS shave, but not without some blood on my neck...it just felt really sharp (not sure how else to describe it). I really like the feel of this razor, and it may just be poor technique, but how big a difference does the setting make? I shaved with mine on 4 but went to 2 after the first pass. I use a Gillette tech mostly, so could that be part of it? Also, what setting do you guys use on your adjustables? Thanks in advance for any advice

Yeah, if you're used to a Tech, a number 4 setting on a Gillette adjustable might be a little aggressive. On my Slim, I start with 5 for WTG, move to 4 for XTG, and finish up at 3 for ATG.

This link might be helpful for comparison: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap

With respect to blade gap alone, a Tech sits at 22 thousandths of an inch, while an adjustable at 4 is up there at 29 thousandths of an inch, even more than a Red Tip Super Speed. Also, you have to consider weight. Depending on which version of the Tech you have, that adjustable is going to be packing some more pounds, which also figures in to aggressiveness.

What blade do you use with your Tech? It could be the right blade for your Tech, but not for your adjustable.

You found a great razor, though! Hang on to it, and maybe just use settings one through three for the time being, and try a few different blades with it.

Yeah, if you're used to a Tech, a number 4 setting on a Gillette adjustable might be a little aggressive. On my Slim, I start with 5 for WTG, move to 4 for XTG, and finish up at 3 for ATG.

This link might be helpful for comparison: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap

With respect to blade gap alone, a Tech sits at 22 thousandths of an inch, while an adjustable at 4 is up there at 29 thousandths of an inch, even more than a Red Tip Super Speed. Also, you have to consider weight. Depending on which version of the Tech you have, that adjustable is going to be packing some more pounds, which also figures in to aggressiveness.

What blade do you use with your Tech? It could be the right blade for your Tech, but not for your adjustable.

You found a great razor, though! Hang on to it, and maybe just use settings one through three for the time being, and try a few different blades with it.

I think BRYAN pretty much nailed it. I shave with both a Tech and a Super Adjustable. I find that the Super set at 2 shaves pretty much the same as a Tech. Also, I like Astra SP in both.

Thanks guys, and Bryan your post was a big help. You really know your stuff. Will try that that later and post results

Thanks guys, and Bryan your post was a big help. You really know your stuff. Will try that that later and post results

I appreciate the kind words, but I'm a complete noob compared to most of these guys. It just goes to show what a wealth of information there is on this site.

Couldn't agree more. I couldn't imagine this being the only way to shave back then, and the limited knowledge that came with it. Not just with technique, but with the thousands of good products out there

Top Bottom