What's new

Super Adjustable price - Crazy?

I've been looking for a 1976 Super Adjustable "Black Beauty" as a birth year razor. I found one on eBay, a W2, which is the correct quarter for me too. Then the bidding war happened. I figured I would get it for around $20. Then I had to bump my bid up to $30, no dice. I didn't think it was worth more than $30 so I stopped. It went for $45.50!!! That seems crazy to me. I didn't think these were that valuable. What's up?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220724873730&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Value is a relative thing. It's worth what someone is willing to pay. Someone who wants a birth year / birth quarter razor may be willing to pay almost $50 dollars for it. It is frustrating though.

I will say, that razor was not in great shape for the money laid out for it.

I've seen the SA go for quite a bit on the bay, more than slims and the occasional fatboy. This is especially true for the long handled and gold versions, the standard SA seems to be more typical at $25-30

I’m guessing that your experience can be chalked up to the luck of the draw. Doing a search of completed sales, they have closed anywhere from $21 to $77. If you continue to have trouble scoring maybe you could just change your birth certificate.....:lol::lol:

Looking at the bidding for the one mentioned by the OP, there are a couple of people with low post counts stepping the price up with successive bids. If bidders have the experience and self control to decide on a price, and put in exactly one bid as close to the end of the auction as possible, it can sometimes keep the final price down.

My 1970 long handled Super Adjustable is in excellent condition, and was $23.01 including shipping, a few months ago. Most of the others that I'd looked at then were sold in that range, but going rates do seem to change over time. I can't say that these aren't worth $45, only that they aren't worth it to me. Even what I paid seemed high to me at the time, compared to the $12.71 I had paid for a Slim.

Last edited:
That sounds high to me, but that's how it is with ebay, someone gets a bug in their bonnet to "win" and winds up paying way more than the market value. Market being anywhere but ebay. Have patience. Another one will come along, and hopefully Mr. Crazy will not be bidding against you that day, but if he does, let him have it. It's tough to get a good price on ebay, and above all it takes patience and a willingness to let it go, and bid again another day.

I can get long handle SA for $20 because I refuse to pay more.
I go through the listings and put them on my watch list.
Within 2 week I'm easily able to score 1 for under $20.
In fact I've had some on my list sell for around $10 that I missed.
The secret to e-bay is patience, Gillette made millions of these razors, most of them are in excellent condition because they were made right around the time the switch to cartridges was made, so they have low mileage.

I can get long handle SA for $20 because I refuse to pay more.
I go through the listings and put them on my watch list.
Within 2 week I'm easily able to score 1 for under $20.
In fact I've had some on my list sell for around $10 that I missed.
The secret to e-bay is patience, Gillette made millions of these razors, most of them are in excellent condition because they were made right around the time the switch to cartridges was made, so they have low mileage.

All very true. As frequently mentioned, deals can be had on the bay, but it takes patience and discipline.

I've acquired a stash over the last few weeks paying $15-$30 dollars, each. Some of the demand has to be from people getting blown out of the water on Fatboy and Slim bidding frenzy - The SA is still a genuine Gillette Adjustable, a quality American - made product.:thumbup1: Get one before all prices are in the Stratosphere!:biggrin1:

Makes me glad I grabbed a '70 SA from a B&B member for $13 shipped. It had a small abrasion on the handle but the member I bought it from had already touched it up with Testors, along with the numbers. Otherwise it's fairly lustrous and a perfect shaver (which is what I bought it for).

Now I'm also looking for a Birth Year SA, but I've not seen a single C3 '82 in BST or eBay, much less an SA or SA Long which is what I really want.

I think people forget it only takes 1 bidder who really wants it to drive the price way, way up. There are a lot of people with money to burn

I think people forget it only takes 1 bidder who really wants it to drive the price way, way up. There are a lot of people with money to burn

That's why to win you don't play the bidding game, the only winner of that game is the seller.
Set the maximum price your willing to pay and stick to it.
Go through the listings and put all the models you want on your watch list.
When the listing gets ready to close see if it's still under you price limit, if it is bid with 15 seconds to go.
You're either going to get it for your price or get out sniped.

That's why to win you don't play the bidding game, the only winner of that game is the seller.
Set the maximum price your willing to pay and stick to it.
Go through the listings and put all the models you want on your watch list.
When the listing gets ready to close see if it's still under you price limit, if it is bid with 15 seconds to go.
You're either going to get it for your price or get out sniped.

+1 This is exactly what I do. You have to be willing to lose 10 auctions before you win 1, but its the right way to play

i was lucky enough to find one for 5.70 shipped. i try to look for random key words like shaver and shaving and see if I can strike with any luck. usually some people sell stuff they found from relatives and what not and they don't know what they're selling. It wasn't in the greatest shape but the mechanism still worked.

the most i paid was 25 for one I also got off the bay. you win some and you lose some.

I've been looking for a 1976 Super Adjustable "Black Beauty" as a birth year razor. I found one on eBay, a W2, which is the correct quarter for me too. Then the bidding war happened. I figured I would get it for around $20. Then I had to bump my bid up to $30, no dice. I didn't think it was worth more than $30 so I stopped. It went for $45.50!!! That seems crazy to me. I didn't think these were that valuable. What's up?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220724873730&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

HAH! sorry about that that was me!! hilarious i waited til the last minute while it was sitting at $31.50 and put in a $45 bid but someone had a higher limit...it's my birth year razor too...I found another one and put in $20 and won it. it helps to find them if you put "gillette black" in for the search since all the 1976 razors had a black handle (super adjustable and super speed) and check all the ones with no date or date code since most posters put a picture of the bottom you can see the code. I found people who don't put the date code are not traders so ask less or maybe since there's no code in the title less bidders find them...
anyway sorry to jack the price up :blushing:

Top Bottom