What's new

Super Adjustable, aka Black-Beauty - Finally a good shave

A few years back after returning to wet shaving, the second or third razor I bought was a SA/BB, don't recall the date code, but want to say it was a '78 something. I found it rough compared to my Parker 86R, it cleared the whiskers, but my face wasn't happy during or after the shave. I only had some Astra SP blades, then tried a gifted Voskhod, Rapira, and actually bought some Feathers, same result. Although I probably over-paid for it, I ultimately sold it, luckily for around what it cost me.

Well, I can be stubborn, and when I noticed another SA/BB on eBay maybe 6-8 months ago for with only a single bid, I sniped it at around $15.00 or so. This one seemed better, but that might have been my ability to apply very little pressure, but still didn't find it 'smooth'. I tried several different blades, but nothing seemed to smooth out this one either, so in the drawer it went. This past week I've been revisiting the unused razors, and stumbled across a sleeve of KAI blades, and that baby did wonders in the Old Type, which I just didn't find particularly efficient. Then recalling that 'Big John' (Mad-Scientist of Wet Shaving) mentioning his experience with a SA/BB, and how the KAI was night and day different, moved that blade into the SA for the morning shave.

I've never noticed that big a difference in any other razor, but the KAI seriously transformed the SA/BB from a 'maybe next time' razor, to a damn that was a great shave experience. Now I find the KAI sharp, not quite Feather, but darn close. It's also smoother than the Feather, but not Voskhod or Nacet smooth. It's also a big larger (wider cutting edge to cutting edge) than most other blades, which should make the razor feel more aggressive, but not in the SA/BB, it smoothes it very nicely. I did try following Big John's setting of 3/4, but 3 was so mild I wasn't sure if was removing anything, do dialed up to 5, perfect, blade feel but smooth, and as close a first pass as any open comb I've used. - About on par with my Rockwell, which is my go-to razor, on maybe plate 5-6.

For anyone having trouble with the SA/BB, and I now there have been others, I would urge them to try a KAI blade to see if it solves the nature of this little beast. The experience has probably taken it from a maybe clear it out, to making it a keeper for me.

Last edited:
Brother Cyber,

Interesting story, and it shows how shavers and faces and various razors are different!

Personally I consider the Fat Boy, the Slim, and the two Black Beauty models to be outstanding and comparable razors. I shave the FB at a 5 and the Slim and the BB's at a 6, and they give me shaves that are perfect.

As to blades I don't find much difference either. Would you believe I'm shaving this week with a CVS Drug Store blade and I'm getting remarkable close and comfortable shaves? I'm surprised too.

I do a careful prep: I wash my face twice with glycerin soap and warm water. Then hand lather some glycerin soap and slather it on my face as a base. Apply my brush made lather over the glycerin soap. Work the whole shebang vigorously into the face with my finger tips for 30 seconds. Re-lather and do a conventional 3 pass shave. This week I'm shaving my tough old whiskers on my 81 year old face with at double shimmed TTO 1937 Gillette Sheraton razor. Oh. And did I mention I have hard water? I'm sitting here facerbating between sentences, and my face feels as smooth as a clean glass mirror. Awesome.

There have been claims in the past on the forum that at TTO razor cannot be properly shimmed. Respectfully, in my experience that is complete nonsense. At least my 80 year old Sheraton is not aware of that claim.

Last edited:
Good for you. I'm gonna have to get some kai blades to try in my SA and other razors as I keep hearing good things about them.

Last edited:
I've experienced the same results with Kai in other razors. In fact Kai has crept from obscurity to my top pick in DE now, especially in my Rockwell 6s. Their only downside is price. Performance-wise they are tops.

Any recommendations for where to order the kai blades from?

Look at Tryablade if you just want to order a tuck or so for testing. That's what I did and went ahead and ordered 50 from them after my tests with them a few weeks ago. Due to their cost compared to other blades, testing before buying in bulk is probably the best route.

Just for comparison I use my Fat-Boy on 9, except ATG under the nose, without incident. No way, no how, could I use the SA/BB on 9 and even on 5, I got a bit tore up by a Feather and a Rapira Platinum Lux. - My experience with the SA/BB closely mimics Big John's experience, and find the SA/BB much more aggressive than the Fat-Boy or Slim. (If you have watched his videos, he has some interesting observations, although not many videos in the past year).

I'd swear a Slim and SA/BB have the same darn head geometry, but something's different. Maybe it's the blade exposure or the angle is a bit different, but they do NOT shave the same. On 5 with a KAI, it easily shaves like the Fat-Boy on 9 as far as efficiency, with maybe a bit less blade feel.

Not sure I put a KAI in the Fat-Boy, now I need to try it.

I grew up learning on a Super (the same one I have in my den now) and it's still my touchstone by which I rate all my other razors. I was 6 when we bought it for my dad, who soon switched to exclusively electric shaving leaving it to my brothers and my to all learn how to shave with it.

Top Bottom