What's new

SunShave's Wet n' Wild Adventures

Hi all!

I wanted to jump in and narrate a little how the past few weeks have gone, both to compare notes with my fellow newbies and open up for correction/instruction from our learned veterans :)

Like I shared in my original post, the first razor I grabbed was a Baili 171 and some Astra SPs. I also grabbed a Gillette SuperSpeed online, it was advertised as a 40's model but was actually a '55 flare tip (date code A1). It came with some (green) Derby Extras. I'll add a short note that I grabbed these while staying with family for a month, and only just recently ordered a blade sample pack, some proraso soap, and a brush now that I'm home - so more experimenting to come! Looking forward to getting a proper lather in soon, but for now all my shaves were done with Cremo.

The shaves, in order:

Baili 171 w/ Astra SPs
For me, this was a great combo, and I'm able to use this loadout to shave daily without any issues. I enjoyed what I imagine to be a slight blade feel, it helps me work out a good angle while I'm still learning technique, end the end result is a very smooth shave with no irritation.

SuperSpeed 55 w/ Green Derby Extras
The first shave I did with this loadout was with a couple days growth. I was so excited to try it, and was able to do a full three passes with it. It was probably the closest I've gotten to BBS. I couldn't feel the blade at all, and had to pay close attention to what I was doing. I got one small nick. I'm not sure what made the difference, maybe it was the closeness of the shave itself, but it took 2-3 days for enough stubble to grow back to be able to shave again. That very next shave, I kind of rushed it, and got a pretty uneven shave with some irritation and a few more nicks - a solid lesson in user error.

I did a few more shaves with this combo, with mixed results. Overall, despite getting a much closer shave there wasn't very much blade feel at all, and I think I had trouble learning the right amount of pressure to use.

SuperSpeed 55 w/ Astra SPs
Here, I could feel the blade a smidge more than with the Derbys, and it helped a bit. Not as close a shave, but I feel like it was easier for me to keep my bearings, and I could once again shave the next day. I've only tried this combo out once so far, because I was eager to loop back to the Baili for the next shave.

Baili 171 w/ Green Derby Extras
This was a much better shave than either with my gillette. I was able to feel the blade more than with the SuperSpeed, but I could tell it was a lot softer feel than the Astra SPs. I'm not totally sure what my preference is there, but I think I lean towards the Astras. I was able to get a nice even shave again, fairly close, but still able to shave again the next day.

Conclusions
First and foremost, I've already really enjoyed the little bit of experimenting I've done so far, and I look foreward to learning more and participating here on B&B.

I would say overall, if I had to rank my shaves, they would be:
1. Baili 171 w/ Astra SPs
2. Baili 171 w/ Green Derby Extras
3. '55 SuperSpeed w/ Astra SPs
4. '55 SuperSpeed w/ Green Derby Extras

I like the more distinct feel that I got from the Astra blades. I'm not sure if I would enjoy much more feel than that, but who knows? I feel like I was more prone to irritation with the Derbys, but that again might more be a factor of my not knowing the right amount of pressure to apply (especially with the SuperSpeed).

Once again I'm looking forward to my soaps, brush (Omega Boar), and blade samplers to arrive so I can branch out a little more :) For everyone's viewing pleasure, here are a couple shots of the '55 SuperSpeed. I think it's a cool little piece, but I'm not sure if it'll stay in my rotation too long.

Front.jpg Open.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I wish that I could offer some guidance to you but I am too scared to shave with a "safety" razor where you can't see the blade's edge on your skin. I stick with straight razors.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. We all love our shaving and we can use what ever can give us the shave that we desire.

I look forward to following along. I started with Astra SPs and got excellent results compared to the carts I was using before but was blown away the first time I used a Nacet. I haven't experimented beyond the Nacet yet though I plan to; just trying to get some more experience so I'll be able to better evaluate other blades.

Soaps have been my favorite part of wet shaving so far. I love trying various scents and the process of building and applying a lather just adds so much to my shaving "ritual".

I look forward to following along. I started with Astra SPs and got excellent results compared to the carts I was using before but was blown away the first time I used a Nacet. I haven't experimented beyond the Nacet yet though I plan to; just trying to get some more experience so I'll be able to better evaluate other blades.

Soaps have been my favorite part of wet shaving so far. I love trying various scents and the process of building and applying a lather just adds so much to my shaving "ritual".
I'm also really excited about the ritual aspect of it. I just got my brush in today and have followed a bunch of tips I found here to "break it in," it's currently drying out with a good lather on it. I'm looking forward to using it for a shave tomorrow with a couple days growth! It'll be with the Astra SPs again, my blade sampler pack comes in sometime next week. Maybe I'll give the Nacet a go first!

I wish that I could offer some guidance to you but I am too scared to shave with a "safety" razor where you can't see the blade's edge on your skin. I stick with straight razors.
Just as I'm too scared [maybe cheap] to lay out hundreds of dollars for a SR. Let alone the costs on grits, stones, strops, and whatever else y'all need to keep those "knives"in working order. :biggrin1:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Just as I'm too scared [maybe cheap] to lay out hundreds of dollars for a SR. Let alone the costs on grits, stones, strops, and whatever else y'all need to keep those "knives"in working order. :biggrin1:
Not quite hundreds of dollars. More like about UD$50 to US$70 to set yourself up with a kit (all new) that should see you through your first 100 or so SR shaves. Then you can invest another <US$50 on lapping films and a substrate to be set up for life.

This thread may enlighten you:

But before you even think about SR shaving, read this first:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Welcome!

I like the Astra SP. With some very occasional exceptions it's been my DE blade for several years now. Mostly the exceptions make me go right back to the Astra!

Nice pair of razors. I second the advice of dialling in technique then go looking for the next-latest-greatest. There's lots of time to spend all your money. :)

O.H.

Shave Entry: First Lather

Brush: Omega 10066
Soap: Proraso White
Razor: Baili 171
Blade: Astra SP

Yesterday my soap and brush finally came in! I had a couple days growth to mow down, and I was excited to finally be trying something other than the cremo I'd used for cartridge shaves the past couple years. It looks like my blade sample pack won't get in til Monday or Tuesday of the following week, so that gives me more time to get more acquanted with my control variables. I decided that as I work on my technique/work through my blade samples, I'll stick with the Baili as my control razor. Per my last entry, I preferred using the Baili with both the Astra SPs and the Derby Extras, so it felt like a more natural choice. The other controls will be my Omega Brush and Proraso soap. I think it's worthwhile pointing out that all together - bowl, brush, soap, and razor - I must have only spent about $45. Not only is that a pretty low point of entry for the hobby, I'm getting GREAT shaves with this gear. Even if someone doesn't want to go down the rabbit hole, there's no need to break the bank to have a much improved shaving experience over cartridges.

1.jpg

I'm normally a daily shaver and aim more for DFS as opposed to BBS, but I figured with new gear and more growth, this shave called for a proper three passes. Having a nice lather helped so much. I feel like having the thicker soap to clear away helped me with my jaw and chin problem areas much more easily.

Typically I find my shave angle by starting with the cap on my face and angling til I feel it, and make the adjustments from there. This works well enough, but I think I need to practice more on this technique to see if I can maintain a more optimal angle without having to default to riding the cap or guard like that.

I'm glad that I almost on a whim grabbed the SPs as my starter blade, because I genuinely enjoy how they feel and shave. I feel the blade enough to know it's there and be able to work with it, but not be afraid of it. They've been fun to learn with, and I do think they'll make for a good baseline comparison to go off of from here.

Looking forward to a couple more shaves with this setup before I start experimenting with the blade samples next week!

Thanks for reading, and happy shaving!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Shave Entry: First Lather

Brush: Omega 10066
Soap: Proraso White
Razor: Baili 171
Blade: Astra SP

Yesterday my soap and brush finally came in! I had a couple days growth to mow down, and I was excited to finally be trying something other than the cremo I'd used for cartridge shaves the past couple years. It looks like my blade sample pack won't get in til Monday or Tuesday of the following week, so that gives me more time to get more acquanted with my control variables. I decided that as I work on my technique/work through my blade samples, I'll stick with the Baili as my control razor. Per my last entry, I preferred using the Baili with both the Astra SPs and the Derby Extras, so it felt like a more natural choice. The other controls will be my Omega Brush and Proraso soap. I think it's worthwhile pointing out that all together - bowl, brush, soap, and razor - I must have only spent about $45. Not only is that a pretty low point of entry for the hobby, I'm getting GREAT shaves with this gear. Even if someone doesn't want to go down the rabbit hole, there's no need to break the bank to have a much improved shaving experience over cartridges.

View attachment 1504272

I'm normally a daily shaver and aim more for DFS as opposed to BBS, but I figured with new gear and more growth, this shave called for a proper three passes. Having a nice lather helped so much. I feel like having the thicker soap to clear away helped me with my jaw and chin problem areas much more easily.

Typically I find my shave angle by starting with the cap on my face and angling til I feel it, and make the adjustments from there. This works well enough, but I think I need to practice more on this technique to see if I can maintain a more optimal angle without having to default to riding the cap or guard like that.

I'm glad that I almost on a whim grabbed the SPs as my starter blade, because I genuinely enjoy how they feel and shave. I feel the blade enough to know it's there and be able to work with it, but not be afraid of it. They've been fun to learn with, and I do think they'll make for a good baseline comparison to go off of from here.

Looking forward to a couple more shaves with this setup before I start experimenting with the blade samples next week!

Thanks for reading, and happy shaving!
A suggestion, if I might. I realize, this advice is worth the price of admission. <eg> (evil grin)

You might try reversing that strategy.... start with the razor handle parallel to your face and raise the handle until you feel the blade engage. I find a steeper angle tends to work better for me than a more shallow angle. I know this partly personal preference as well as razor dependent. Give it a try and see if you find that perfect angle a bit quicker and see if you end up leaning toward the steeper angles.

There is actually a group here dedicated to steep angle shaving: Steep Angle Shavers Alliance - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/steep-angle-shavers-alliance.521311/

They are a bunch of very nice people. I've learned a lot from them.

You might try reversing that strategy.... start with the razor handle parallel to your face and raise the handle until you feel the blade engage. I find a steeper angle tends to work better for me than a more shallow angle.
Update: I tried it with my shave today, and it absolutely was a better shave. Thanks for sharing the good word!

Top Bottom