What's new

"Sunrise" DE razor

Yesterday I received a vintage "Sunrise" razor, here are the pictures:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I cleaned the razor in my ultrasonic cleaner, did the trick with aluminum foil, baking soda
and hotwater, then ultrasonic cleaned it again.
Now it looks almost like new:

proxy.php

Only information on "Sunrise" in Waits' Compendium:

proxy.php

proxy.php

... which is very little ...
On top of that, Waits lists a razor based on vintage Gillette "brownies" - which this
razor is not.

My question is: anybody who can give more information on these (Dutch ?) razors ?

I cleaned the razor in my ultrasonic cleaner, did the trick with aluminum foil, baking soda
and hotwater, then ultrasonic cleaned it again.
Now it looks almost like new...

What trick is that? Thanks.

And congrats on your new razor!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
No, "razor suitable for Gillette and Rotbart blades".

Nice razor and excellent clean-up, congrats!

It wouldn't surprise me if it were a Rotbart. Looking at the logo on the inside of the lid in the Waits picture, that's a downright copy of a Rotbartlogo. Also, some models Rotbart Mond-Extra had similar display of model on the grip as this Sunrise.
Having the Sunrise (Sunrise Gold in Waits) and the Mond (Moon in German, usually Mond Extra with Rotbart) there's either some familyresemblance there or some serious "inspiration".

R

romsitsa

It's from the Netherlands, but I don't think it's a Rotbart product, the handle, head, comb, everything is different.

Adam

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
So, you don't know anything about it either. :001_tongu

I know enough to see it isn't a Rotbart -- shape of neck, handle knurling, 13 teeth (Rotbart has 14) per side, and the bullets are too short and rounded among other things.

It's from the Netherlands, but I don't think it's a Rotbart product, the handle, head, comb, everything is different.
You're likely correct, a Dutch old type clone.

I know enough to see it isn't a Rotbart -- shape of neck, handle knurling, 13 teeth (Rotbart has 14) per side, and the bullets are too short and rounded among other things.

:a14:

I never said it was, I was asking. I know very little about the Rotbart.

I like that handle style. Can you tell me if this one has the standard Gillette thread? And is it solid or hollow? And if hollow, does it have any cracks?

Top Bottom