What's new

Sunday Shopping

Considering that many people have to work longer hours now, the need to open on Sunday is a must. It's also a must for some businesses to prosper. Population growth also makes a huge difference in the need to open businesses on Sundays. U.S. population: 1945=140 million, 2022=332 million.
That's more than double the population in a period of 77 years!
But hey, at least Chick-fil-A is still closed on Sundays🤣

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Blue laws were quite rampant when I was a kid. There were a whole host of things you couldn't buy on a Sunday, regardless of the hour. I don't remember the whole list, but it was a LOT. It included stuff like clothes, shoes, toys, cosmetics, cars, and pretty much anything you would find in a hardware store. Fortunately, nearly all those restrictions went away in the '80s. The only ones that still exist are related to alcohol and automobile sales, and even those have relaxed to some extent (but they need to go away entirely).

I never understood all that. Yes, I understood their purpose, but that purpose bothered me. It still bothers me to the extent those laws still exist. It's one of those situations where we're all about freedom unless we don't like seeing someone enjoy it in a certain manner. The blue laws typically were little more than an inconvenice for me and my family, but they were an honest-to-goodness hardship on others. I grew up with a number of Jewish friends. Here "we" (the people) are forcing a Christian sabbath on them while not respecting theirs at all. Some folks actually said things like "if they don't want to go shopping on Saturday, that's their choice."

Hey, if you don't want to open your shop on Sunday or Saturday or Tuesday morning or whatever, then don't. More power to you. The same ought to go for opening it, though, and the same already goes for whether someone wants to visit it while it's open.

Top Bottom