What's new

Sunday press

CB97DC83-65B0-4911-A5D3-FF51B6F30BEF.jpeg
59EDE4A0-27E7-4702-A1E2-3E51EA432679.jpeg
Morning gent’s
Puerto Rican coffee ground at the French press, well balanced tasty perfect aroma.
Perfect to start your day.
Happy Sunday ;)

I have been thinking of making some ice coffee with the Vietnamese robusta coffee I have.

Using a press would be the best option.

I have been thinking of making some ice coffee with the Vietnamese robusta coffee I have.

Using a press would be the best option.
What is your process for making ice coffee with a French press? I've been making japenese style iced coffee with a pour over. I just acquired a French press but haven't dialed in making iced coffee with it.

What is your process for making ice coffee with a French press? I've been making japenese style iced coffee with a pour over. I just acquired a French press but haven't dialed in making iced coffee with it.

I try to use an un-insulated press and let it cool. I've found that soapstone will pull the heat (and cold) out of anything. I use soapstone to thaw meats in under an hour. will make a plate of food ice cold in 2 minutes too if you don't use something between the plate and stone.

Add the cold coffee to a glass of ice then float condensed sweetened milk and whole milk over the top (2 layer look if possible). Stir it up and enjoy.

proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Very nice. How do you get that nice head of foam or dare I say crema on top of your coffee in the first picture?

That's what happens when you stir everything up after adding the water to the grounds. You often get a thick foam. The fresher your coffee, the thicker the foam.

I try to use an un-insulated press and let it cool. I've found that soapstone will pull the heat (and cold) out of anything. I use soapstone to thaw meats in under an hour. will make a plate of food ice cold in 2 minutes too if you don't use something between the plate and stone.

Add the cold coffee to a glass of ice then float condensed sweetened milk and whole milk over the top (2 layer look if possible). Stir it up and enjoy.

proxy.php
Looks delicious:)

That's what happens when you stir everything up after adding the water to the grounds. You often get a thick foam. The fresher your coffee, the thicker the foam.

I do the same thing. I pour some water in and then swirl the coffee around until it's all saturated and let it sit for 20 seconds and then pour in the rest of the water to brew for 4 more minutes. I get a little bit of foam but nothing like what you show there. Although I should also add that I use an "8 cup bodum" but only make about 3 to 4 cups since I'm the only one who drinks. Maybe the smaller amount of coffee has something to do with it? I use fresh Peet's Major Dickason's whole bean that I grind right before brewing. I still love it but would like to see more foam.

It has been a while since I made coffee in a glass Press but that much foam requires very fresh coffee. Coffee which was roasted less than two weeks ago, though I might think that coffee was even fresher.

It has been a while since I made coffee in a glass Press but that much foam requires very fresh coffee. Coffee which was roasted less than two weeks ago, though I might think that coffee was even fresher.

Ok then. Well, I'm buying Peet's in Shoprite which was roasted months before I buy it. I'm going to have to start shopping elsewhere to find fresher coffee beans.

Update: I have found several local roasters that are within a few minutes of my house. I'm going to have to start visiting them and trying their coffees. I'm betting that the taste of my french press brew is going to step up once I start using fresher beans. Yay.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Update: I have found several local roasters that are within a few minutes of my house. I'm going to have to start visiting them and trying their coffees. I'm betting that the taste of my french press brew is going to step up once I start using fresher beans. Yay.

That's the way to go, man. It's worth the time and money. Even though I just bought a Behmor, I doubt I will stop visiting the roaster that is a mile from my house. Their coffee is just so good, and they have a great variety.

No matter what, though, the foam you get in the press when you stir the fresh grounds will not make it to your mug in the style of an espresso. An espresso's crema comes from the brewing process (the high pressure and fine grind), and that's not what you're doing with a French press. With fresher coffee, you'll probably get a little foam coming from the French press, but it will not be that thick crema you see on a proper espresso.

That's the way to go, man. It's worth the time and money. Even though I just bought a Behmor, I doubt I will stop visiting the roaster that is a mile from my house. Their coffee is just so good, and they have a great variety.

No matter what, though, the foam you get in the press when you stir the fresh grounds will not make it to your mug in the style of an espresso. An espresso's crema comes from the brewing process (the high pressure and fine grind), and that's not what you're doing with a French press. With fresher coffee, you'll probably get a little foam coming from the French press, but it will not be that thick crema you see on a proper espresso.

I realize the "crema" from espresso is very different from the foam from french press. One day I'll have an espresso machine so I can enjoy a true crema. Until then I'm on the search for some fresher beans. Thanks for sending me in the right direction.

Top Bottom