What's new

Sunburn - ideas for aftershave?

So, last Saturday, after a cloudy morning, I wasn't paying attention to how sunny it got in the afternoon and two hours later realized I had a bad sunburn on my face and scalp. I keep my hair pretty short, and it wasn't long enough to keep the top of my head from being sunburned.

Anyway, I haven't been shaving, but I've been using Nivea Sensitive post shave balm in the morning, and aloe gel a couple of times during the day. Can anyone recommend a different course of action, or different products that might soothe the pain better and help it heal faster?

So, last Saturday, after a cloudy morning, I wasn't paying attention to how sunny it got in the afternoon and two hours later realized I had a bad sunburn on my face and scalp. I keep my hair pretty short, and it wasn't long enough to keep the top of my head from being sunburned.

Anyway, I haven't been shaving, but I've been using Nivea Sensitive post shave balm in the morning, and aloe gel a couple of times during the day. Can anyone recommend a different course of action, or different products that might soothe the pain better and help it heal faster?

Aloe vera gel mixed with witch hazel. Rose water as an optional add-in. You can get the aloe vera gel with lidocaine which is made for people who got too much sun at the beach. May need to dilute with a bit of water. Avoid alcohol since it is drying to the skin.

Aloe vera gel mixed with witch hazel. Rose water as an optional add-in. You can get the aloe vera gel with lidocaine which is made for people who got too much sun at the beach. May need to dilute with a bit of water. Avoid alcohol since it is drying to the skin.
Thanks, I'll give the witch hazel a shot. I have a bottle of Thayers with rose water sitting on my counter.

Reactions: Ska
Use undiluted Aloe vera gel exclusively for a few days. Slap it on thick at night. Avoid anything else until the Aloe has done it's job. It won't give instant relief but trust me it will heal the sunburn. Give it time and don't try to speed up time by mixing it with anything else, especially shaving products.

Use undiluted Aloe vera gel exclusively for a few days. Slap it on thick at night. Avoid anything else until the Aloe has done it's job. It won't give instant relief but trust me it will heal the sunburn. Give it time and don't try to speed up time by mixing it with anything else, especially shaving products.
Au contraire, mon Frere. Witch hazel is good for sunburn, so it mixes well with Aloe Vera. I don't suggest Witch Hazel with alcohol, though.

use any regular sun-block as an extra step in your regular shave routine!!

english leather vintage aftershave.jpg

Au contraire, mon Frere. Witch hazel is good for sunburn, so it mixes well with Aloe Vera. I don't suggest Witch Hazel with alcohol, though.

I stand by my post. Pure Aloe Vera is as good as it gets for sunburn. Why dilute it with another product. I have used both so I talk from experience.

Aloe and not shaving is my standard action on the rare sunburn. Using sunblock lotion is something I have started as well as wearing hats in the last few years that I have been shaving my head. Linen hats are very cool in the heat.

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I'm mostly using aloe gel, sometimes with some Thayers (carefully and gently) slapped on first. Wish I'd remembered to wear my hat on Saturday. We're remote teaching now, and I'm sure my face looked like Rudolph's nose to my students when they saw me on Zoom. There were a few sly little grins...

Sorry!

Once things settle down, I suggest CeraVe with sunscreen on sunny days (it works great for me)!

Top Bottom