What's new

Sun Screen!

Listen guys it is the start of summer and you all need to remember that you need to use a sun screen.... I am 55 years old and I have to admit that I have a lot of issues from my not having it when I was younger. I am not a sun worshiper like some folks but I love water sports and spend a lot of time at the lake or if I get a chance at the ocean diving. I have a lot of sun spots and look older than my years.....so you younger guys use it!!
I have started taking much better care of my skin since I started DE shaving but the damage that is done is done!!

Listen guys it is the start of summer and you all need to remember that you need to use a sun screen.... I am 55 years old and I have to admit that I have a lot of issues from my not having it when I was younger. I am not a sun worshiper like some folks but I love water sports and spend a lot of time at the lake or if I get a chance at the ocean diving. I have a lot of sun spots and look older than my years.....so you younger guys use it!!
I have started taking much better care of my skin since I started DE shaving but the damage that is done is done!!

neutro gena makes a great aftershave with spf 20

Thanks for your advice mate...

Sunscreen pamphlet Sun protection at any age is important to prevent the short-term as well as long-term damaging effects of sunlight. Sunscreen plays a major part and should be used in conjunction with other sun-safety steps for optimal sun protection.

Yeah, thanks! Great advice. However....

I hate using it. It makes my face greasy.

Is there an SPF moisturiser or sunscreen that does not cause greasyness? Or is it just the nature of the beast?

John

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks! Great advice. However....

I hate using it. It makes my face greasy.

Is there an SPF moisturiser or sunscreen that does not call greasyness? Or is it just the nature of the beast?

John

I use Anthony's Oil Free Moisturiser w/ SPF 15.
I raved about this stuff in another thread but I feel its a good product worth mentioning. :001_smile

Anthony's has this beautiful light citrus smell. You dont smell the SPF after application. Non greasy, dry down on skin is great. Best of all, it does not leave my face shiny. I dont even know I am wearing after a couple of minutes.

:thumbup:

I use Anthony's Oil Free Moisturiser w/ SPF 15.
I raved about this stuff in another thread but I feel its a good product worth mentioning. :001_smile

Anthony's has this beautiful light citrus smell. You dont smell the SPF after application. Non greasy, dry down on skin is great. Best of all, it does not leave my face shiny. I dont even know I am wearing after a couple of minutes.

:thumbup:

Thanks for the tip. I have used other SPF lotions for men, and even though they are noncomedogenic, I swear it leaves my face more reflective with a strange plasticy texture on the surface. I don't care for it.

I'll look for/give Anthony's a try. :)

I currently use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock whenever I expect to spend more than a few minutes in the Los Angeles sun. I linked to the SPF 55 stuff because that's more than anyone is supposed to need, though I am using the SPF 70 version because that's what Costco sells. Aside from the fact that it doesn't smell like my ASB, it's great stuff. It's not greasy and has a low odor. Only problem is that because it's not greasy and not thin, you have to do it in front of a mirror or else any lotion that isn't spread out well won't turn clear.

I'd prefer to find an ASB that had around SPF 30 in it. I know Neutrogena has that Triple Protect ASB, but it's hard to find that consistently, let alone in bulk. Any other ASB with SPF recommendations?

I tried a C.O. Bigelow lotion yesterday at B&BW with SPF 25. It wasn't greasy at all, and although it's $20 for less than 2oz, all I needed was one tiny pump and it was enough for my entire face. I'm looking for a cheaper/larger option though since I'll be using it pretty much every day this summer lifeguarding. I think I might check out the Anthony moisturiser.

Many things in my daily shave routine change, but the one thing that does not is Jack Black's Double-Duty Face Moisturizer with SPF 20. I use it everyday, even though I work indoors. It works great without a "sunscreen" smell. I highly recommend it.

anything below SPF 30 is basically seen as inadequate here in Oz

Yeah, I feel ok using the SPF 20 only because my only sun exposure is the short walk from the car into the office. If I'm going to be out in the sun for an extended period for any reason, I will go with an SPF of 30 or higher.

Just a note from a doctor and a man from a family with lots of skin cancer.......

Any sunscreen of any SPF whatsoever is essentially powerless at: 1) preventing skin cancer, and 2) slowing aging if it doesn't contain a good UVA blocking agent. (The other sunscreens just prevent sunburn.)

UVA blocking agents available on the market today in America include: Parsol (also called avobenzone), titanium dioxide, and zinc. Outside the U.S., Mexoryl is available, and it's even better than avobenzone.

If your sunscreen doesn't have at least one of these chemicals in it, it's almost not worth wearing, no matter how smoothly it goes on or how nice it feels/smells.

The Neutrogena stuff with "helioplex" and the Banana Boat stuff with "avotriplex" are the best readily available sunscreens in the U.S.

Thanks Masterofsparks for this reminder. And thank you Kingfisher for that informative post. I have a family history of skin cancer, and I've already had several (luckily benign) spots removed. I fear for my children as we're all fair skinned and blue-eyed. I'll be sure to check the ingredients closely on their sunscreens.

Whew, just checked. The Banana Boat Kids SPF-50 that we've been slathering the babies up with has 3% Avobenzone. Hope that's enough.

The stuff that I've been wearing has Oxybenzone 3%. Is that comparable to Avobenzone?

Great... Now in my search for the ultimate ASB that has SPF in it, I now have to find one that has a UVA blocking agent too.

Top Bottom