What's new

Sun hat

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just picked up a Shelta Seahawk. I think this may be the boonie hat solution I've been seeking for years.

I've had a love/hate relationship with Boonies for decades. I love the fact that they provide much more sun protection than a ballcap, but HATE the fact that the brim flops up and down in the slightest breeze.

The stiff brim on the Shelta isn't going to budge in any breeze.

proxy.php

I also like the fact that it has a small pocket inside for bills, credit cards or even a passport.

proxy.php

It's adjustable with a cinch in the back and the chin strap is removable. The material is light weight and has a SPF of 50. This hat will serve as my hiking, disc golf, boating, yard work companion once the weather is more cooperative (Below 0 F here in tropical Wisconsin).
Man! I gotta check that hat out. I've worn Tilley hats for years, but never heard of Shelta. Thanks.

View attachment 904493
US military surplus boonie hat. Does not cost much, lasts forever in the most extreme condition. Thousands of servicemen can’t be wrong.
Just bought a khaki made in USA boonie myself for working outside. It was very reasonable.

I was going to get a Shelta until I saw they were imported and didn’t list where from.

I have a Tilley tec wool that I love. I’ll probably get an airflow for nicer occasions.

Great thread!

View attachment 904493
US military surplus boonie hat. Does not cost much, lasts forever in the most extreme condition. Thousands of servicemen can’t be wrong.

Homolovi Field season 1994. spent the summer under the sun with a desert camo one. 100+ degrees most of the summer. Great hat, great time, spent that summer in the company of my now wife. Wonder where the time and the hat went?

I got my wife an Alchemy Labs hat and she really likes it. I'll be getting one before the heat hits this summer for off hours.

I work outside most days in 100+ degree temps. I got a cheap hat from walmart with a flap in the back, that you can stuff in the brim. I did not expect it to last more than one summer. It lasted two. This summer I am going back to my ugly hats; straw hats from wal-mart or safeway. They do their jobs, cheap, and I don't care what I do to them.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Just bought a khaki made in USA boonie myself for working outside. It was very reasonable.

I was going to get a Shelta until I saw they were imported and didn’t list where from.

I have a Tilley tec wool that I love. I’ll probably get an airflow for nicer occasions.

Great thread!
Where is shelta from? I cant find info on their site

Where is shelta from? I cant find info on their site

From their website:
Sourcing:

• Winged Vision Visor – Made in USA
  • Eco-Feather Tech Fabric – Made Japan
  • Cord system Toggles – Made in Taiwan
  • Assembled in China
  • Designed in California

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Ok thx guys
im seriously looking at the osprey. I like the more minimal profile. No dealers around me so ill have to just buy and risk i like it. currently use a north face or marmot nylon baseball cap style hat in summer but this might be a nice upgrade especially for spring equator trip

Ok thx guys
im seriously looking at the osprey. I like the more minimal profile. No dealers around me so ill have to just buy and risk i like it. currently use a north face or marmot nylon baseball cap style hat in summer but this might be a nice upgrade especially for spring equator trip
See if you can get the Osprey from Amazon through their wardrobe plan. I am thinking about a Henschel Hiker hat that is wardrobe eligible. If you don’t like it you get free returns. I have not used it but a good friend of mine uses it often.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
See if you can get the Osprey from Amazon through their wardrobe plan. I am thinking about a Henschel Hiker hat that is wardrobe eligible. If you don’t like it you get free returns. I have not used it but a good friend of mine uses it often.
Thx ill look into that. Hadn't heard of wardrobe plan before will look at henschel too

View attachment 950413
Been wearing this one a lot for the past year. Got it for free when I bought my truck. Good stuff
$60k plus for a truck and they gave you a hat lol. I only mention this because I was getting my teen drivers ford transmission serviced and happened upon the 2019 powerstrokes. I have an 01 with the 7.3 that I’ve owned for years and keep it around so I have a truck.

I've been very pleased with my Tilly "Wanderer" T3. I wore it all summer and just yesterday as it was very sunny. Its a great piece of functional casual wear.

Top Bottom