What's new

Sun Bear

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
So for people on the fence about Sun Bear I just opened and smoked my first bowl from the 2020 release. Sure, the toppings are slightly different but the component leaf is the same. I figure it ought to be at least similar 🤷‍♂️

It was not what I expected at all. Granted, this in one bowls worth of experience here but my expectations were for a VA forward sweet blend bordering on aromatic. That was not my experience. For me the Oriental tobaccos in this blend curbed the sweetness of the VA and the honey. In fact, I don't really get anything I would describe as a definitive honey flavor from this blend at all. I actually get more a muted floral flavor on the retrohale. Nothing as polarizing as say a Lakeland but a pleasant floral note.

I suspect this blend will round out a bit in a week or so from the tin being cracked as most C&D blends do. I'll be smoking on it more throughout that time. My advice though is that if you like Oriental blends then you'll like this. The Sansepolcro release comes to mind. Personally, I really like that blend and cellared it reasonably deep. I feel the same about Sun Bear. Even though it wasn't what I was expecting, I like it. I expect to like it more in a week or two once the blend opens up a bit. As always YMMV and there are plenty of other independent reviews that are much more reputable then mine (Jiminks et al) but thats my .02 anyway. Plus, even if you don't like it the trade/resale market will be high I'm sure. Happy smokes!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I once again succumbed to FOMO. I didn’t order my 12 tin limit, but it was close. Wasn’t sure I would get any because SPs site crashed after I hit purchase, but the order (and charge) are both there this am. I’m planning on cracking a tin form a previous edition either today or tomorrow.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I once again succumbed to FOMO. I didn’t order my 12 tin limit, but it was close. Wasn’t sure I would get any because SPs site crashed after I hit purchase, but the order (and charge) are both there this am. I’m planning on cracking a tin form a previous edition either today or tomorrow.
I'm trying to be responsible and only ordered a couple of tins.
I can't bring myself to order a dozen tins of anything untried.
I figure a couple of tins puts me where I have spares if I like it, and just a few to get rid of if I don't.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I'm trying to be responsible and only ordered a couple of tins.
I can't bring myself to order a dozen tins of anything untried.
I figure a couple of tins puts me where I have spares if I like it, and just a few to get rid of if I don't.
I tend to order a few more LE tins than I really need. I’m not building my cellar as an investment, but some of the more recent C&D LE’s are already selling for around $40 which is a decent profit for a $12 purchase made 1-2yrs ago. I know that if it turns out I don’t like the blend I can trade or resell it easily for something I know I like.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I tend to order a few more LE tins than I really need. I’m not building my cellar as an investment, but some of the more recent C&D LE’s are already selling for around $40 which is a decent profit for a $12 purchase made 1-2yrs ago. I know that if it turns out I don’t like the blend I can trade or resell it easily for something I know I like.
If I stayed here in the States, that might be an option for me, but when I'm in the Philippines (where I plan to spend more and more time as I get older), shipping tobacco becomes an issue.

Heck, 4Noggins is offering a single tin of the original 2019 release on consignment for $79(!). 😂😂🤣

We’re rich, fellas! Rich!

The double edged sword of long Covid: My taste and smell remain on the fritz, that is bad, although it is slooooowly getting better. The good news is I feel no need to purchase any tobacco right now. My cellar will last my foreseeable lifetime, unless I really up my smoking game or live way longer than I expect. So, no new Sun Bear for me.
(I know, I know, there's no fun in that)

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The double edged sword of long Covid: My taste and smell remain on the fritz, that is bad, although it is slooooowly getting better. The good news is I feel no need to purchase any tobacco right now. My cellar will last my foreseeable lifetime, unless I really up my smoking game or live way longer than I expect. So, no new Sun Bear for me.
(I know, I know, there's no fun in that)
You never know what might show up in the Saint Sue auction. ;)

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I chose not to get this iteration. I missed the first release, got a tin from last year’s release due to very positive reviews and still working through it. Personally wasn’t that impressed so that is why I skipped this year. Hopefully another year will help round out the edges of the tin I do have.

Top Bottom