What's new

Summer Wedding Question

A friend of mine has invited DW and I to the wedding of his oldest son. They live in N.C. and the wedding is in August. I have a Navy Blue linen Sport Coat from J Crew that I thought I would wear. My question for the group is do I have to wear linen pants with the linen jacket? I have some cream/stone colored pants made from silk. Are these acceptable too?

Thanks.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have a Navy Blue linen Sport Coat ... do I have to wear linen pants with the linen jacket? I have some cream/stone colored pants made from silk. Are these acceptable too?

In general, "like materials with like" is a good rule of thumb for a starting point for sartorial decisions, but ... you CAN move on from there.

Think of someone wearing a wool navy blue jacket/blazer ... and wearing cotton pants with them (jeans, chinos, &c) ... a perfectly acceptable look.

If your trousers in question look good with your jacket, then ... go for it.

Love the naturally disheveled, unpressed look of linen suits. Mix/match is tough though. If your trousers are neatly pressed, it may look mismatched. So you could go with Linen bottoms but also have a look at seersucker trousers. The contrast in color pops. I've worn this combination and have always gotten compliments. Tan spectators to complete it and bonus points if you pull off a bowtie and leather suspenders with the look.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My opinion is that it really depends on how formal the wedding is going to be.

If the wedding is not overly formal (an example could be a rather rustic party in the countryside) you can wear your Blue linen sports coat with a pair of stone-coloured pants.

But if the wedding is a very formal event you need a one coloured suit, where jacket and pants are made in the same colour and material. For an elegant attire traditional hues like Navy Blue or Dark Grey are mandatory. IMHO.

If the wedding is not overly formal (an example could be a rather rustic party in the countryside) you can wear your Blue linen sports coat with a pair of stone-coloured pants.

But if the wedding is a very formal event you need a one coloured suit, where jacket and pants are made in the same colour and material. For an elegant attire traditional hues like Navy Blue or Dark Grey are mandatory. IMHO.

This. Measure your style for the occasion based on formality

This. Measure your style for the occasion based on formality

Thanks all for your advice. Turns out I already have a pair of cream colored linen pants that will work out if the wedding turns out to be less formal. Also, I have both Navy and Charcoal colored suits if I find out the wedding will be more traditional.

Top Bottom