What's new

Summer Straw

Show off your summer straw! I had to break down and get a new Summer Straw Fedora this year. So I thought it might be a good idea to have people show pictures of their summer straw hats. Panama, Shantung, Toyo, or what ever. I can't wait until my Golden Gate Shantung gets here. Here is a picture:

proxy.php

It features a 2 1/2" Brim and a 3 7/8" Crown.

Here's what I used to wear daily, but don't wear all that often lately. It's a 7X Resistol. My band is a touch different than the photo I found and is brown leather that's stitched and weaved as opposed to the basic black in stock photo. Mine is also in need of a good reshaping, but other than that, that's what it looks like.:blush:

proxy.php

I had to order mine from an Australian website. IIRC, it was from evertythingaustralian.com.au. The model is the Capricorn. The band I have is different than what's pictured.

It's polypropylene, but it's not plasticky, if you know what I mean. There are enough sun with rain days here that I wanted an alternative to a Panama that would hold up to either.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I had to order mine from an Australian website. IIRC, it was from evertythingaustralian.com.au. The model is the Capricorn. The band I have is different than what's pictured.

It's polypropylene, but it's not plasticky, if you know what I mean. There are enough sun with rain days here that I wanted an alternative to a Panama that would hold up to either.

Sharp looking bean cover.
How does the material hold up as far as shaping, flipping the brim etc?

Sharp looking bean cover.
How does the material hold up as far as shaping, flipping the brim etc?

You can flip the brim all you want, but the teardrop "bash" is pretty much set from the factory. The truly daring could heat it up and play with it, but I'm happy with the factory shaping.

Mine is a 61 (I know, big headed lunk) and I'm glad I ordered that instead of a 60 as the leather sweatband has shrunken up nicely so it's a great fit...doesn't feel like it will come off in the wind, and right after a haircut if it's a tad loose I just stick a folded up bill under the sweatband.

At first I was pretty damn skeptical of a "plastic hat" but besides a very brief period when I first got it when it had a little crunchy feel to it (that quickly went away) I'm very happy with it. If it gets dirty when I do yardwork, I hit it with a hose and it's good as new...Try that with a nice Panama!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You can flip the brim all you want, but the teardrop "bash" is pretty much set from the factory. The truly daring could heat it up and play with it, but I'm happy with the factory shaping.

Mine is a 61 (I know, big headed lunk) and I'm glad I ordered that instead of a 60 as the leather sweatband has shrunken up nicely so it's a great fit...doesn't feel like it will come off in the wind, and right after a haircut if it's a tad loose I just stick a folded up bill under the sweatband.

At first I was pretty damn skeptical of a "plastic hat" but besides a very brief period when I first got it when it had a little crunchy feel to it (that quickly went away) I'm very happy with it. If it gets dirty when I do yardwork, I hit it with a hose and it's good as new...Try that with a nice Panama!

Thanks.
Looks like the Rink by Akubra is pretty close, but no brim trim.

My new Golden Gate Shantung Fedora arrived yesterday and I couldn't be more pleased. Perfect fit, and nice and light and airy. I will try to post a picture of me wearing it later.

It's funny, I can't see myself in a boater, but there was a time when I thought any hat but a ballcap with civvies was out of the question. Now I get incredulous looks from friends and the family if I venture forth without a fedora or at least a flat cap.

It's funny, I can't see myself in a boater, but there was a time when I thought any hat but a ballcap with civvies was out of the question. Now I get incredulous looks from friends and the family if I venture forth without a fedora or at least a flat cap.

I know what you mean. There came a period in my life when it was time to put baseball caps away and move on to a hat. For me I started wearing a straw fedora only at the times that I would have worn a baseball cap.( even going to baseball games). I grew accustomed to it and so did everyone else.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thought I'd share with you guys the hat my wife brought home for me.
Very comfortable. It's a Papyrus/cotton blend (85% / 15%), with a cotton mesh lining.

Top Bottom