What's new

Summer Sausage First Attempt - Success

I made some summer sausage for the first time. It was kind of a last minute decision, so I just used what I had in the freezer. The seasoning I used is called "Backwoods Jalapeno Summer Sausage". I made a 5 pound batch using 2 pounds pork loin and 2 pounds of beef chuck. I trimmed off all of the fat from the beef and pork. I used a pound of low sodium bacon instead of pork fat. I ground it with a single pass through the grinder with a 3/16" plate then stuffed it into fibrous
casings. I smoked it on the smoke setting of my Traeger. After it smoked about 2 hrs I started increasing the temp until it was just under 200. I pulled it when it hit 165.

I don't have any pictures after it left the smoker, but here's a pic before it went into the smoker:

$Summer Sausage.jpg

That looks good. Do you have the book "Charcuterie" by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn? If you like curing meats it would be a good book to have for reference. :thumbup:

My brother in law has it and loaned it to me once apon a time. I didn't read the whole thing, but what I did read was pretty good.

Top Bottom