What's new

Summer jackets

In a (no doubt) doomed attempt at appearing respectable, I'm going to need summer weight sport coats every so often. Any suggestions? By summer I mean upwards of 100° F and 100% humidity. Really nasty and uncomfortable.

So yeah, ideas?

I usually go with lightweight wool. For NYC subway wear, I have a couple of wool/poly blends, which don't breathe but are less likely to wrinkle. If you don't mind looking slightly rumpled, you can go with cotton or seersucker.

I would get in the habit of carrying your coat folded liner out.

I would avoid linen or silk. I've never had a silk jacket that didn't turn into a sweatshirt in the summer.

I've never tried their products but http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=356&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1%2C2%2C251%2C356

are well regarded -- perhaps someone here can weigh in.

Seersucker!!!!

proxy.php

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In a (no doubt) doomed attempt at appearing respectable, I'm going to need summer weight sport coats every so often. Any suggestions? By summer I mean upwards of 100° F and 100% humidity. Really nasty and uncomfortable.

So yeah, ideas?

Unlined linen, in a light colour (cream is ideal) to prevent light absorption ... you don't want to wear your own personal solar energy panel on your back, now do you?? :001_rolle

Linen will breathe well, and is about the best you can do for dissipating sweat. :thumbup1:

Unlined linen, in a light colour (cream is ideal) to prevent light absorption ... you don't want to wear your own personal solar energy panel on your back, now do you?? :001_rolle

Linen will breathe well, and is about the best you can do for dissipating sweat. :thumbup1:

What he said!! :thumbup1: I have a cream, light blue and navy linen jackets that I wear to work and about town during the summer. I do not have to wear a tie at work during the summer so I'll wear nice summer slacks and one of my jackets for a casual, yet refined statement. I'm looking forward to wearing them again. I always buy at the end of the season for the following year and never pay full price.

Top Bottom