What's new

Summer Brush Sabbatical :: 2019

I'm going to get the Colonel 2XL in September and indulge my first Simpson brush crave I had few years back. Nothing to write home about, it's just something I wanted for a while.

BTW, anyone noticed this new launch by Zenith?

:a47:
ZENITH 508XL Manchurian - 31mm knot, 50mm loft

proxy.php

I'm going to get the Colonel 2XL in September and indulge my first Simpson brush crave I had few years back. Nothing to write home about, it's just something I wanted for a while.

BTW, anyone noticed this new launch by Zenith?

:a47:
ZENITH 508XL Manchurian - 31mm knot, 50mm loft

proxy.php

Glad to see you back. The Colonel would be a nice treat after the sabbatical.

I saw that Zenith, but wasn't tempted at all. Too big for me.

Glad to see you back.

Thanks! Having construction workers around the house and work overload meant cutting on my leisure time on these fine forums. :crying: But I had to check up on you guys.

proxy.php

I saw that Zenith, but wasn't tempted at all. Too big for me.

The Chubby 2 is 28mm / 50mm and I already find it ridiculous with its 3 band knot. That 508XL Manchu might be either insanely good or hard to work with. I can't wait for some reviews to roll in.

Last edited:
I returned back home now and it's refreshing using my badgers again.

Out of the boar brushes I had with me, I was only dissatisfied with the 11137 because of its low density once it bloomed a bit. The rest were great. I was pleasantly surprised by the Semogues since they were out of rotation for many months.

I hope that I will be able to control my addiction to brushes and that I won't start buying more once the sabbatical is over. Actually, I haven't purchased any shaving items since this sabbatical begun and I'll try to keep it that way for as long as I can (perhaps with the exception of blades).

I was only dissatisfied with the 11137 because of its low density once it bloomed a bit.

When density is lacking, a bigger knot is needed, loft especially. Small and sparsely packed knots don't feel right for me either.

I hope that I will be able to control my addiction to brushes and that I won't start buying more once the sabbatical is over. Actually, I haven't purchased any shaving items since this sabbatical begun and I'll try to keep it that way for as long as I can (perhaps with the exception of blades).

I'll nab the Colonel X2L and a cologne. What's annoying isn't spending money on shaving, but stuff I already bought get rarely used as I pile on new products. My best shaves happen when I stick to the same setup for over a week.

What's annoying isn't spending money on shaving, but stuff I already bought get rarely used as I pile on new products. My best shaves happen when I stick to the same setup for over a week.

I fully agree. I like variety, but I dislike craving for more while products stay unused on the shelf or in a cupboard.

I just spent a month and a half using one razor, 3 (for the most part) medium sized boar brushes and two soaps. I only got 2 bad shaves due to experimenting with my prep routine. The vast majority of the rest were way above average, both in terms of how close and how comfortable they were. Towards the end, I wanted to use a different setup, but it was a great experience and I learned a few things. I am thinking of using a fixed set of products per month. E.g. 1 razor, a couple of different blades, a fixed type of brush and 1-2 soaps and AS.

I fully agree. I like variety, but I dislike craving for more while products stay unused on the shelf or in a cupboard.

I just spent a month and a half using one razor, 3 (for the most part) medium sized boar brushes and two soaps. I only got 2 bad shaves due to experimenting with my prep routine. The vast majority of the rest were way above average, both in terms of how close and how comfortable they were. Towards the end, I wanted to use a different setup, but it was a great experience and I learned a few things. I am thinking of using a fixed set of products per month. E.g. 1 razor, a couple of different blades, a fixed type of brush and 1-2 soaps and AS.

Perhaps weekly fixed setups. Every following week you can change only 1 thing in the setup. So if you have soap + brush + razor + blade, in one month you'll eventually change the whole setup if you want to, but variables are kept to the minimum. Someone who likes to use same razor, same blade and brush, but can simply cycle through his (150) soaps giving each one a week or more regular use. If you want to keep using the same 4 in the next week, you can.

Trailing Fixed Four - TFF? :detective:

Someone who shaves max of 3 times per week might not see the benefits of this. Monthly periods suit them best. I shave daily.

Perhaps weekly fixed setups. Every following week you can change only 1 thing in the setup. So if you have soap + brush + razor + blade, in one month you'll eventually change the whole setup if you want to, but variables are kept to the minimum. Someone who likes to use same razor, same blade and brush, but can simply cycle through his (150) soaps giving each one a week or more regular use. If you want to keep using the same 4 in the next week, you can.

Trailing Fixed Four - TFF? :detective:

Someone who shaves max of 3 times per week might not see the benefits of this. Monthly periods suit them best. I shave daily.

Yep, something along these lines. I'm mostly experimenting with prep and blades these days. As far as razors and brushes, I feel I am set. In terms of soaps, I made my choices but I need to reduce the stock I have gathered.

The nightmare is over and I can complete my ivory wall! The Colonel is amazing, I wasn't expecting such a great knot, denser and softer than the Duke 3, tips gel right out of the box. Brilliant flow through, face lathers like a champ with that cheek vacuum sucking effect the Chubby 2 does.

Top Bottom