What's new

Suitable inks for Omas cotton resin?

Today I managed to buy an Omas Paragon fountain pen for $160, from a Dutch shop that has a close-out sale. It is a piston filler, and if I recall correctly, the Omas cotton resin pens are picky about inks.

Does anyone here have a "vegetal resin" Omas pen, and could you recommend a safe ink for this pen?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I don't own a Omas, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't take any ink designed for a fountain pen. Maybe steer away from iron gall ink. But any standard ink: Parker, Pelikan, Waterman, Sheaffer, Diamine, J. Herbin, should work fine. If you have any doubts, stick with the ink Omas makes.

I don't own a Omas, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't take any ink designed for a fountain pen. Maybe steer away from iron gall ink. But any standard ink: Parker, Pelikan, Waterman, Sheaffer, Diamine, J. Herbin, should work fine. If you have any doubts, stick with the ink Omas makes.

I've never owned an Omas pen before either, but I recall Pentrace horror stories of the vegetal resin being eaten away by some fountain pen inks.

Okay, on Richard Binder's site I read that if the ink is safe for celluloid, it should also be safe for the Omas resin (and celluloid) pens.

There are plenty of Indian pens, including many of Noodler's pens, that are comprised of vegetal resin. Never have an issue with inks, I-G included, with the resin components. I would hope that Omas would be of a substantially better quality and, therefore, compatible with most modern inks.

The point is moot; the piston was stuck on this particular pen, and I returned it. Thanks for all the advice; I might want to go hunting Omas tomorrow again :)

For the record, the ones I use on my Omas cotton resins are Visconti, Iroshizuku, Omas, and Graf von Faber Castell. I haven't had a problem yet with any of them yet!

Except for super-saturated, mad-scientist-formulations (such as Noodler's Bay State series), just about any conventional fountain pen ink should be safe. Modern iron gall inks (i.e., Rohrer & Klingner) should be OK, also, but I'd probably want to clean the pen more frequently than normal.

strop

Now half as wise
Graf von Faber Castell

That's a name we don't see here very often. I've never really even researched them, since what little I've seen of their pens didn't appeal to me. Do you have experience with them?

I had to weigh in here.
I just bought a light yellow colored Omas vintage 360, and I love it, but fyi, you’re absolutely correct, be cautious!
I inked it up with Diamine Writer’s Blood ink, once, and when I unscrewed the nib unit to do a full cleaning, I didn’t want anything left in there out of the gate, sure enough, inside the collar and the reservoir the ink stained, Unremovable!
Thankfully it’s all internal, and it’s a solid color body, so it’s not the end of the world, but the cotton resin Absolutely Can and Does stain folks.

The problem with this pen's material is that it might shrink over time. It happened to me without even inking it. Fortunately I got it repaired and now it 'drinks' whatever ink I give it 😀

Top Bottom