What's new

suit aesthetics: what do you like?

I personally prefer single breasted, 3-button (more stylish imho), single vent/no vent, flat front pants with hemmed bottoms. I like basic color tones like black, charcoal and thin pinstripes, but I dislike thick pinstripes because it looks too Al Capone to my eyes. I saw Don Shelby on the news the other night and he was wearing a thick navy pinstripe suit, thick striped shirt and a red tie with stripes -- it was an eyesore to say the least :001_huh:. of course, now that i've gotten a taste of tailored suits I'll also add that a nicely fitted suit makes all the difference. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
I can tend to dress sort of "gangsta" from time to time. I'm in a work environment that's very tolerant of my "stylin."

But the thick, pronounced pinstripes can be a bit much on most men.

Love traditional pinstripes. Solid suits are great since they allow more freedom in my view to play with ties. Dressing "experts" say you can mix stripes the way your anchor man did, but I agree it's a bit much for the eye to handle.

I like either three button or two button suits. It depends on the fit.

Love traditional pinstripes. Solid suits are great since they allow more freedom in my view to play with ties. Dressing "experts" say you can mix stripes the way your anchor man did, but I agree it's a bit much for the eye to handle.

I really like the thin tonal pinstriped suits, but I also like thin chalkstripe suits as well. I still need to add a charcoal and navy suit to my wardrobe but that can wait

i like a simple 2-button jacket. elegance is the name of the game, and simplicity in pattern/cut (slim cut) is way to get there. if I were to wear something more extravagant, I would look to Cary Grant's wardrobe (especially in The Philadelphia Story).

Men look handsome in most any suit as long as the shirt (pressed), tie, belt and shoes (shined or boots in MO/depending on where you live :) are complimentary. Long sleeves....Cuff links are a plus. But that's just me. :001_rolle
Sue

I am partial to dark grey/Charcoal and Navy suits, single breasted, either two or three buttons with side vents on the jacket, flat front pants and plain hem (no cuff). I am super picky on the construction and fit, there is a fair amount of crap out there and nothing is worse than a poorly constructed and fitting suit.

As for dress shirts, I prefer spread collars with french cuffs.

Suits are personal. Theres are plenty of guides that tell you what to wear to achieve a certain perception. As such, I wear the style of suit that makes me look taller.

Thus: small notched lapels (can't bring myself to get peaked), thin lapels, absolutely no pleats, plain bottom. But most importantly, I take all my suits to the tailor. I usually have to take the sides in. I'd make the arms smaller, but....

Suits are personal. Theres are plenty of guides that tell you what to wear to achieve a certain perception. As such, I wear the style of suit that makes me look taller.

Thus: small notched lapels (can't bring myself to get peaked), thin lapels, absolutely no pleats, plain bottom. But most importantly, I take all my suits to the tailor. I usually have to take the sides in. I'd make the arms smaller, but....

true. I brought my thrift store Brooks Brothers suit to a tailor and was thrilled when I got it back.

on a side note, I went to a political debate a few days ago and noticed how horribly dressed some of the candidates were. I have a hard time supporting any candidate who looks like he dresses himself in the dark, let alone wears a suit that doesn't fit properly

Solid, pinstriped or lightly window paned, side vented or not at all, single breasted, 2-3 buttons and flat front pants. I try to go for french whenever possible. I'm also a bit on the old fashioned side so I like a nice vest to go with the whole ensemble.

Although I will say that I much prefer a blazer or sport coat to a full suit... more opportunity for variety. Plus I love herringbone and a full herringbone suit would be garish imo.

I am a pretty tall guy at 6'2", almost 6'3". I have pale skin, dark hair, bright eyes, a large muscular ***, and broad shoulders. I prefer my suits 2 button. In a 3 button I look skinny with broad shoulders. The 2 button gives me a good balance between top and bottom. My *** has always been large, part genetics and part years of physical training for competition. So, a single vent has always worked for me.

With my pale skin and dark hair, I like my solid navy and gray suits, my navy with light pinstripe suit, and (and this sounds weird but works) my dark olive suit.

I am from New England, so khakis and a blazer is considered suitable, but I have always preferred the full suit. With my medium gray suit, a white shirt, and my pink tie, I am a sexy mutha effa. With my dark olive shirt, it is either a white shirt and gold tie or a cream shirt and off-gold tie. With the navy suit, white shirt and red tie is standard.

Top Bottom