What's new

SUI - Shaving Under the Influence

Gents & Ladies,
I want to relate to you my experience this morning, even though it makes me appear stupid.

My doctor started me on Lyrica yesterday for my neuropathy. The warnings on Lyrica are typical of meds that relieve pain. Especially the one about operating dangerous equipment.

This morning I lathered up some MWF in my new shave scuttle, grabbed my Rockwell 6S razor that was loaded with a Feather blade and proceeded to shave. On the third stroke, I sliced off a small spot on my cheek. Being aggravated at myself for doing that I made two more strokes and sliced open a place under my nose.

So now I figure that the Feather blade has 13 shaves on it and must be done. I started to unscrew the handle so I could change the blade and discovered that I never tightened the handle to lock down the blade. The gap on the blade was close to 2 mm. I was basically shaving with just the blade and no guard. It’s a wonder that I didn’t slice myself open on the first stroke!

Normally, I store the cleaned and dried razor with the last blade that I used. I store it in such a way that there is no pressure on the blade. Then when I start shaving the next time, I tighten down the blade and check the reveal before starting. In my Lyrica haze I failed to do any of that!

So a word to the wise. Don’t shave while under the influence of any mind altering substance!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
So a word to the wise. Don’t shave while under the influence of any mind altering substance!

I do it frequently :biggrin1:

My migraine medication and neurological issues can make shaving quite an interesting experience, to say the least. However, you adapt. You get used to what you are like on your medications, and what errors you are likely to make, and new learned behaviours start to creep in to keep you safe.

Occasionally, I will abort, either during or immediately before the shave. Uncoordinated use of the brush, vision wandering, or a lingering uncertainty/absence are usually key triggers to skip a day. Sometimes the razor just doesn't feel right in my hand, as though it's a new one that I haven't learnt yet, even though its my primary one. Sometimes my physical movements will be somewhat amplified. Sometimes just remaining upright at the sink is a challenge.

In a way it's like getting in a new car, and it taking a while to settle into the differences with pedals, or where the controls are. After a while, it becomes second nature, and you adjust to what this other version of you can and can't do, and how this other version needs to do things differently perhaps. Don't fight it, understand it, and learn from it.

M

member 119848

Funny to read this thread. I had a similar experience last week, when I unscrewed the handle between two passes in order to rinse a thick lather stuck into the razor.
I must have been naturally day-dreaming... I rinsed the razor, applied some lather on my face, and have totally forgotten to tight the razor again.
Despite the aggressive shave, I didn´t even check the razor until the end of the shave. The blade feel was extreme but I didn´t cut myself. Afterwards I couldn´t believe I kept on shaving like this...
No substance involved! :001_smile

I do it frequently :biggrin1:

My migraine medication and neurological issues can make shaving quite an interesting experience, to say the least. However, you adapt. You get used to what you are like on your medications, and what errors you are likely to make, and new learned behaviours start to creep in to keep you safe.

Occasionally, I will abort, either during or immediately before the shave. Uncoordinated use of the brush, vision wandering, or a lingering uncertainty/absence are usually key triggers to skip a day. Sometimes the razor just doesn't feel right in my hand, as though it's a new one that I haven't learnt yet, even though its my primary one. Sometimes my physical movements will be somewhat amplified. Sometimes just remaining upright at the sink is a challenge.

In a way it's like getting in a new car, and it taking a while to settle into the differences with pedals, or where the controls are. After a while, it becomes second nature, and you adjust to what this other version of you can and can't do, and how this other version needs to do things differently perhaps. Don't fight it, understand it, and learn from it.
That’s very encouraging. I really want the Lyrica to work because I had pretty much a pain free day today. Normally, I have hip and leg pain and a burning sensation in my feet. As I said before, I had total relief from the pain until about 4:30 this afternoon when the hip pain started coming back.

I was unstable most of the day. I broke out my cane so I could have the additional stabilizing point. I hope that I adopt to that as well.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Funny to read this thread. I had a similar experience last week, when I unscrewed the handle between two passes in order to rinse a thick lather stuck into the razor.
I must have been naturally day-dreaming... I rinsed the razor, applied some lather on my face, and have totally forgotten to tight the razor again.
Despite the aggressive shave, I didn´t even check the razor until the end of the shave. The blade feel was extreme but I didn´t cut myself. Afterwards I couldn´t believe I kept on shaving like this...
No substance involved! :001_smile
It’s like adjusting an adjustable to 30. I’m guessing a 1.5 mm shim would give similar results without the blade being loose to do what it wants.

Best wishes for your full recovery!!

Indeed, Good advice to avoid shaving while under any influences!
I've ventured a couple times, fortunately no calamity.
But, always vigilant!!

art of shaving oud bourbon amber puma i.w. harper july 20 2020.jpg

Just don't fall and brake your hip....that would be worse. I thank God I am off that medicine.
I fell on the ice five years ago and landed on my hip. That’s what started all this. I didn’t break my hip, but I banged up my back, my piriformis muscle and the sciatic nerve. I have three bulging disc and several compacted discs that barely keep my vertebrae from touching. As a result I have back pain and sciatica.

I confess I have shaved after a number of alcoholic beverages a few times, some times with straight razors. Only once did I think “I really shouldn’t be doing this” halfway through.

My condolences, what will I write next might result in some aggravation among fellow members. This is one of examples how overthinking shaving can have negative side effects.

You lightly unscrew the razor after a shave to reduce tension on blade. I have never heard that tension on a blade while stored can affect the performance in a long run. What it does it puts you in danger of forgetting to tighten the razor and slice yourself open

Hi,

Wowza. Never done that. Not gonna, either!

In a slightly different Under the Influence, though, don't eBay shaving stuff either. You might wind up with a lot of stuff you then wonder why you bought it!

Stan

Oh, I sometimes (often) loosen the handle between shaves to allow the blade/razor to dry better. I have started a shave without tightening it back down again, under the influence of absolutely nothing besides stupidity!

Luckily I didn't get any major injury. I just remember thinking, "I don't recall this razor having so much blade feel," and then suddenly realizing that I had forgotten to tighten the blade down.

And no drug to blame it on! Whoopsies.........

My condolences, what will I write next might result in some aggravation among fellow members. This is one of examples how overthinking shaving can have negative side effects.

You lightly unscrew the razor after a shave to reduce tension on blade. I have never heard that tension on a blade while stored can affect the performance in a long run. What it does it puts you in danger of forgetting to tighten the razor and slice yourself open
As a result of my mishap, I’ve started storing the razor with the top cap fully screwed down and I check the reveal before I put it in the stand. I think you are 100% right. I don’t know why I started putting it away loose.

YIKES!! :sob: :sob:

Appreciate the warning (and I hope the Rx helps your neuropathy)!
I’m starting to acclimate to the Lyrica. The first day I was wobbly and had medicine head. Today I feel more normal. The neuropathy is still there, but greatly reduced. I don’t feel the burning sensation in my feet now. Hopefully that is the Lyrica.

I’m working on getting an appointment with a pain management doctor for the back and hip.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I ran across some interesting concepts lately reading psychologist Thomas Roberts. He does some work with altered subjectivities and refers to "mindbody states" to explain them. As he uses the term, mindbody states are to your brain what apps are to your phone. "Packages" that enable different perceptions and recognitions -- not all of them good or beneficial, but not all bad, either.

I can sympathize with your back because my back suffered some similar mishaps; a couple of wrecks, hard physical labour, and just getting the crud beaten out of me a couple times. The medication I use sometimes leads to interesting mindbody states when standing in the Shave Cave. I always check to see if I'm ready before I start soaking the brush and laying out the towels. I've been known to put shaving off a day.

I've also been known to go ahead. As Roberts points out, mindbody state changes can lead to heightened perceptions and pleasures you'd not get in your default mindbody state. The shave might take an hour, but I can really enjoy it. You get a feel for it after a little while. [grin]

O.H.

I ran across some interesting concepts lately reading psychologist Thomas Roberts. He does some work with altered subjectivities and refers to "mindbody states" to explain them. As he uses the term, mindbody states are to your brain what apps are to your phone. "Packages" that enable different perceptions and recognitions -- not all of them good or beneficial, but not all bad, either.

I can sympathize with your back because my back suffered some similar mishaps; a couple of wrecks, hard physical labour, and just getting the crud beaten out of me a couple times. The medication I use sometimes leads to interesting mindbody states when standing in the Shave Cave. I always check to see if I'm ready before I start soaking the brush and laying out the towels. I've been known to put shaving off a day.

I've also been known to go ahead. As Roberts points out, mindbody state changes can lead to heightened perceptions and pleasures you'd not get in your default mindbody state. The shave might take an hour, but I can really enjoy it. You get a feel for it after a little while. [grin]

O.H.
If I can’t spend the allotted 30 minutes to my shave, I’ll skip it that day and try to do better tomorrow.

I don’t quite understand the mind body states you refer to, but I’ll look into it. It sounds interesting.

Top Bottom