What's new

Suggestions to improve my shaving den? (need some guidance)

I started wet-shaving again about 2-3 months ago and acquired the following items:

Merkur Futur
Feather Blades
Simpsons Commodore X3
Trumpers extract of limes cream (amazing lather but skin did not like it at all)
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Cella (favourite so far)
Proraso Sensitive soap
Alum Block

I currently use coconut oil as a pre-shave and no aftershave, only a good moisturizer. As I'm still in the experimental stage of my shaving life I'd like to hear some suggestions from shaving fanatics from around the world. What products/tools helped you find your actual habits.

As I'm a 22 year old student (Belgium) I can't really justify buying 300$+ brushes and 200$+ razors. I'm looking for quality products that offer good value and will last for some time. My skin loves natural and simple products. My complexion (mild acne and some minor scarring) has really improved since I started wet-shaving again.

Mainly I'm looking for:

A quality boar brush (SOC cherry?)
A luxury silvertip or finest 2-band (M&F, Rooney, Semogue?)
A lighter/milder everyday razor (R89?)
A open comb/slant razor (R41, Merkur 37C?)
Maybe some more quality soaps
Some mild/natural type of aftershave
Other helpful additions to add to my den

I know it's a lot to ask for in one post but there is no hurry in getting these items, I'm mainly looking for some guidance.

I hope your day is treating you well!

I would say to look into making a combination stand (Brush, razor, maybe a spot for a bowl). I have a drilled-out blank of ash wood to hold all my straights (my fiancé refers to it as "the gun rack"). Try looking into a synthetic brush- they can be very soft, and I found that my acne quieted down after switching to a Parker synthetic silvertip. If you are looking for a mild, nourishing aftershave, Musgo Real and Speick would be my recommendations. Both reasonably priced (though Speick is a little cheaper), and they will both last you a long time. As far as a more aggressive razor, I might be wary, if you are prone to acne, ingrowns, and irritation. If you like Cella, you might be interested in trying some RazoRock croaps (ABCBA and P.160 are both almond-scented). A shave stick might also be a good addition to your den; my favorite is Speick, but Der Vergulde Hand, Palmolive, and (blech!:thumbdown) Arko are all excellent performers. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Mainly I'm looking for:

Yes

M&F, Rooney, Shavemac, THATER.

Good choice

Either or an Ikon (my favorite OC is an ATT, my favorite slant in a Merkur)

Maybe some more quality soaps.
Haslinger, MdC, another Italian soap is always a good bet.

Some mild/natural type of aftershave.
Perhaps some witch hazel or ASB

Other helpful additions to add to my den.
A scuttle or a nice shaving bowl.

Last edited:
If you like the lanolin of the Wool Fat, Musgo Real shave cream is one of the if not the cheapest cream with it (I believe, may be wrong). Also, speick shave stick is a good product. Both are quite budget items, and I doubt you'll be upset about at least trying them

That's my point though. My $30 Silvertip is better than the $100 Vulvix it replaced. You don't have to pay for a name.

Maybe some SE razors too like a GEM Junior, or Schick Injector E, or as a last resort a Valet Autostrop. You can still buy brand new blades for these cheap except for the Valet (Valet new blades are expensive - $1 or $2 each per blade - only Feather brand).

+1 on the Whipped Dog Silvertip. Great brush for the money and Larry is a super nice guy. For $35 shipped it is very hard to beat that brush. I would get a scuttle or a shave mug. Julie at Dirty Bird Pottery makes scuttles and bowls and they are really nice and she is such a pleasure to deal with.

Absolutely-beat boar brush

Look in the Hobyest forum, you can have one made for you-shaverjoe makes great beushes

Nice razor

Never tried them

Maybe some more quality soaps
Tabac, IMO the finest soap available

Some mild/natural type of aftershave
Other helpful additions to add to my den

I know it's a lot to ask for in one post but there is no hurry in getting these items, I'm mainly looking for some guidance.

I hope your day is treating you well!

Good start

You'll like the SOC in boar or badger. Awesome brushes.
If you are comfortable with the Futur, you probably don't need a lot of razors. It's an excellent piece. Perhaps a nice Gillette Rocket or a NEW will come along on the BST that strikes your fancy.
I'd recommend a Speick stick and their splash aftershave.
That'll keep you entertained.
Go from there. You'll get more enjoyment out of a few at a time instead of a huge pile o' stuff. You'll also figure out what you like.

Try looking into a synthetic brush- they can be very soft, and I found that my acne quieted down after switching to a Parker synthetic silvertip.

(I don't think this is too off topic)

Is it this brush? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002WA0QGY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1389329661&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

I have been thinking of trying a synthetic out because they A. Last forever B. doesn't wear B. Dries fast.

What do you think about this brush? How long have you had it, and does it change? Can you compare it to your other brushes? And what is the brush knot closest to? I.e. Pure badger, best, black, boar etc.

hope you can convince me to get one! :001_tongu

A quality boar brush (SOC cherry?) Excellent choice, my current and favorite

A luxury silvertip or finest 2-band (M&F, Rooney, Semogue?) I'd also go with Whipped Dog. A custom handle would be really nice as well

A lighter/milder everyday razor (R89?) Another good choice. Also Gillette Techs, adjustables, and New open combs

A open comb/slant razor (R41, Merkur 37C?) I'd go with a Slant before a R41 - the R41 is quite demanding compared to a Merkur Slant

Maybe some more quality soaps Stirling or Mike's! :thumbup:

Some mild/natural type of aftershave Thayer's in a variety of scents

Other helpful additions to add to my den I would check out the posts on shave den photos and see which resonate with you the most. One member has a single stone brush stand with 3 buddhas around it. Very simple, elegant, and inspiring.

Top Bottom