What's new

Suggestions on Buying straight razors

Where are some of the better more reliable places to purchase straight razors ( good ones). I am not an expert so I need something , if you will, that I can grow into. Like maybe 6/8. Next question new or older . What are the pros and cons of each? However , if old they are old they need to be in great condition? Who does some of the best work on old razors to get them looking great and useable.>?
Thanks!

You can always go to Larry at WhippedDog and he has nice sight unseen razors for about $43 and then get a poor man's strop for $25. BOOM and you're started without breaking the bank :thumbup: This is what I did, mine's getting shipped right now and then I won a Wade and Butcher off the bay. But if you go on the bay, you'll most likely have to get it restored if you don't want to spend a pretty penny...

Hi and welcome here. It all depends on your budget. This is a very wide world and it offers al lot of opportunities and fun.

i'll try to simplify.

1) you can start with a razor from Larry at WhippedDog as suggested by RongFkight. You can also buy a Vorpal from Seraphim (I started this way)

2) Or you can pickup the one you like most on eBay, according to your budget. If it is perfect or is a NOS (new old stock) you will just need somebody to hone it for you (you'll learn how to hone in due time)

If it is to be restored, you will find our best hobbyists in the dedicated section of this forums. I personally work with

3) You could also buy a new razor, Böker, Dovo or simila....

cheers

It would help us offer suggestions if we new your budget. You will need a strop and maybe some crox paste at a minimum to maintain a "shave ready edge on your razor." Would a used razor work for you or do you want a new razor.

That question is begging you to search around these forums... There's a sticky that can help out... I suggest old, professionally honed or if u wanna get in for cheap a professionally honed gold dollar..

As long as it's a good brand reliability will all depend on how you you care for it... Most steel amongst the trusted brands will be good

As for what you like look through the "what straight did you use today" thread and write downs then ones who's name comes up over and over again... Those will be the best

I suggest a shave ready gold dollar. You can find them on eBay, but make sure you search for "shave ready". You can probably find one for under $30.

I would be careful about how shave-ready an ebay GD actually is! One from here (or even buy a standard GD and have someone from here have at it until it is working well) would be a safer option.

That said, I think Heespharm is right - look through the straights that people here are using and you will see what YOU want to use. Many people have old and new razors, so there is no clear answer on that front, which means you will need to see what you want and then go from there.

I would be careful about how shave-ready an ebay GD actually is! One from here (or even buy a standard GD and have someone from here have at it until it is working well) would be a safer option.

That said, I think Heespharm is right - look through the straights that people here are using and you will see what YOU want to use. Many people have old and new razors, so there is no clear answer on that front, which means you will need to see what you want and then go from there.

Very Good point. Actually, I have a GD66 which is shave ready that I purchased on eBay, It was shave ready when I bought it, and I have used it only twice. I used a cRox pasted strop on it, so there is a keen edge. OP, PM me if interested, just pay shipping. I have way too many straights. With more on the way.

Last edited:
Very Good point. Actually, I have a GD66 which is shave ready that I purchased on eBay, It was shave ready when I bought it, and I have used it only twice. I used a cRox pasted strop on it, so there is a keen edge. OP, PM me if interested, just pay shipping. I have way too many straights. With more on the way.

very generous of you. should take him up on this offer OP

Yes, used would work. Has to 1) be functional
2) have potential for becoming a beauty with some work (not my me)
3) Be of decent value when the beautification is completed
3) cost me under $300 just for the razor in its old state.
Thank you for your response H

I bought three sight unseen from Larry four years ago. Recently bought 6 nice vintage brands from ebay (Boker, Genco, Shumates,) for max of 25$ each and Sent them to Larry for honing for 18$ each. I also took his poor man's stop in custom 3" and a 2" two strap strop. All this cost me less than 300$ with a 24mm high mountain badger also thrown in.

If you're willing to spend $300, why not pick up a new Boker or TI?

But for me, the real question always is: What do you want to learn to shave with? Close your eyes. What do you see yourself using in the mirror? Go get that razor, make sure it's shave ready, and get shaving.

No offense brother, but Gold Dollar is on a do not buy list. However, I do appreciate your response.
A gold dollar is a lot of hard work but is good steel once you are able to put an edge to it. I honed a gold dollar 66 yesterday with a few hones and had an equivalent fantastic shave today morning. Yes it did need to remove a lot of steel and its a gold dollar but won't fetch a value same as its name in gold. Its at best a great frugal value for money shaver if you own hones

I purchased a GD from Buca when I started and I used it for months without issue and then PIF'ed away to start someone using a straight, needed to make room for other straights but I found no issue with the one i had other than how cheap the scales were.

I purchased a GD from Buca when I started and I used it for months without issue and then PIF'ed away to start someone using a straight, needed to make room for other straights but I found no issue with the one i had other than how cheap the scales were.
+1 on everything you said.
The GD was my gateway razor.

No offense brother, but Gold Dollar is on a do not buy list. However, I do appreciate your response.

Not on this site. Gold dollars are highly respected here. They are excellent starter razors, once they are in shape. They shave just as well as my very expensive and vintage razors.
The only reason I buy/bought other razors is because of the art, history, and fun of them. The GD shaves no worse than any other of my hollow grinds. I'd put it up against my vintage Boker, my Case Brothers, my Dovo, William Greaves, my Eyre... Well, you get the point. They take a little bit of work to initially get in shape, but once they are, they are every bit as sharp and hold an edge every bit as well, and hone just as easily as a similar grind

Last edited:
Top Bottom