What's new

Suggestions on a razor to try/ My experience

Brother Toboggan,

This is a pretty yeasty and informative thread you have going! A lot of good info! My fav's are the Red Tip, the Barbasol FH, the 1946-47 Aristocrat, and pretty much any adjustable razor.

I would not sell any of the razors you have bought so far. They all are keepers. The day will come when you will want to try them again.

As to the Futur being ugly. You don't shave with "ugly." So you don't care. You do shave with a well engineered razor, which the Futur is.

I find the Red Tip to be very effective, and not necessarily aggressive. I think the weight of the handle is the secret.

Much more to share, but the wife is calling me . . . Sorry 'bout that.

Nice, I'll do that. What did you think of the R41?
I think R41 is very unique and everybody should try it at some point. It is a good razor.

R41 will not solve your problem with angle, that is only coming with much practice. In the beginning of a double edge shaving journey one is not good enough at finding the correct angle, so my suggestion is that you stick to one razor you get somehow to work. It might be one of your current or then R41 if you buy one. Then you practice on that particular razor until you get good shaves. If you jump between razors, you will have more difficulties to tune in on the correct angle.

As to the Futur being ugly. You don't shave with "ugly." So you don't care. You do shave with a well engineered razor, which the Futur is.
Yea but god is it ugly lol. I guess that doesn't really matter. I didn't really know about clones being available for it. Good thought.
:a19:

I find the Red Tip to be very effective, and not necessarily aggressive.
It's just more aggressive than the other vintage razors I've tried.

Nevermind, I've found it. I think I'd probably rather go with a fatip first. Seems like everyone likes em.
This is a YMMV thing. I think R41 is far superior to Fatip. R41 actually gives a unique experience while Fatip is simply just a normal razor on the aggressive side.

I used my '59 Red Tip today after several days of Barbasol and John Watts Gleaner use. I find it a wonderful tool that can be used for two passes ATG and WTG w/ pretty good results, but not as good as the old ones mentioned. However the '59 is not going to punish careless and quick shaving and I find that is a good thing.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Nice, I'll do that. What did you think of the R41?

Honestly I'm not sure what to think yet. I think the head I have might be an anomaly. I cant see Merkur sending out heads that have the issue this one does. It is noticeable, but at the same time I think I can overcome it.

If this head did not have the issue it has, it very well may be a fantastic razor, but like the Fatip it demands respect and a good technique.

If on the other hand R41 heads do have casting differences across several samples, the Fatip is a lot easier to learn and use simply because its more predictable.

They're both good and it really comes down to which shave each of us likes more. If mine was as smooth as my Grande and performed just as well it would be a toss up which I liked better. If I was forced to pick, I'd buy solid Brass. The other aspect I prefer with the Fatip is the shape of the head and the blade geometry. I generally shave shallow with my razors that have a lot of blade exposure, and the shape and geometry of the Fatip head allows that very easily. The R41 less so, but its still not difficult by any means.

Before you buy any razors, learn your Old Type. It really might be the only razor you need. The more experience I gather, the more I believe TobyC was right.

The OLD is the best razor ever made! :thumbsup:

I used my '59 Red Tip today after several days of Barbasol and John Watts Gleaner use. I find it a wonderful tool that can be used for two passes ATG and WTG w/ pretty good results, but not as good as the old ones mentioned. However the '59 is not going to punish careless and quick shaving and I find that is a good thing.
Yea, that's part of why I like it. It also just seems like it has something the others don't. It just glides better.

Honestly I'm not sure what to think yet.
I didn't realize the blade was so flat. I don't think I'd like that.

I recently realized that mine is supposed to have end caps too. Someone must have knocked them off.

My '56 that I passed along to my son in law had a missing cap. Then I read the first two generations of the Aristocrat lacked caps. There are Sheratons with caps and later versions with.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I didn't realize the blade was so flat. I don't think I'd like that.

I dont think I even noticed that. Once I had the angle right so that it didnt skip, its a surprisingly comfortable, and easy, razor to use. I expected it to give me a lot more trouble than it did, but I am use to razors with lots of blade exposure.

You can buy the head alone if you have a handle that will fit it. Its a pretty good deal that way. I'm not sure I'd pay the $75USD for one, but I'd surely buy the head for ~$25.

Top Bottom