What's new

Suggestions on a razor for my wife or tips for current razor.

Hello gents & ladies!

As the title states my wife is interested in losing the cartridge for pretty much all the same reasons as we did. I acquired a Ladies blue Gillette Starburst which she loves the feel and weight of buts wants it more aggressive. I started her off with Gillette Silver blues and she used her shave cream but not good enough. Next shave I placed a Feather blade and she used my Tabac. Better, but still not good enough. She loved the Tabac though!

I've tried talking her into trying one of my R89's but she refuses. States if it does not feel like the Gillette does in her hands she dose not want it. My questions, I have 3, are..

1. Can I shim the Gillette to make it more aggressive? If yes then how? I have never done that.

2. If the 1st question is no can anyone recommend another razor that is like the Gillette but more aggressive?

3. Can anyone recommend a handle that is long, thin, and light in weight like the Gillette that will fit one of my R89's for her to try?

Thanks in advance to all of you for your help and knowledge and look forward to hearing from you.

Freddie P.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!! You can shim it by cutting a blade about 3-4 mm from the edge on both sides.
I have used a starburst and find it good enough with out any shims. I find it good even with our any shims on my face. Maybe she should get the angle right. It takes some time for the transition from cartridge to DE as the latter is technic sensitive and has a learning curve.
If you want another one try the long handle black beauty as it is adjustable and has a long handle.
Parker has something like a starburst, if you are looking for a new one, though I don't know how aggressive it is. Hope this helps you.

hmm. you got a pre war tech? that might be in the right aggression range she might like. i know you probably wouldnt want to switch out handles, but a handle from a merkur 23c mounted with a pre war tech head might work out nice.

duh, forgot about the long handled bb. i just didnt get into shimming as i thought your wife might find that annoying, but if you did it for her all the time then id say try it out, might work out great.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!! You can shim it by cutting a blade about 3-4 mm from the edge on both sides.
I have used a starburst and find it good enough with out any shims. I find it good even with our any shims on my face. Maybe she should get the angle right. It takes some time for the transition from cartridge to DE as the latter is technic sensitive and has a learning curve.
If you want another one try the long handle black beauty as it is adjustable and has a long handle.
Parker has something like a starburst, if you are looking for a new one, though I don't know how aggressive it is. Hope this helps you.

I actually just won a long handled black adjustable abut an hour ago on the bay. Good call on that one. Cant believe I did not consider that while purchasing lol.

hmm. you got a pre war tech? that might be in the right aggression range she might like. i know you probably wouldnt want to switch out handles, but a handle from a merkur 23c mounted with a pre war tech head might work out nice.

I do have a prewar tech but no Merkur Handle. If the Black handle adjustable is a no then I will look at going that route. Thanks!

My wife just started shaving with a DE a couple weeks ago. The best razor she has found is a Schick Krona. Long handle, easy to find angle, great shaver. She loves it!

My wife just started shaving with a DE a couple weeks ago. The best razor she has found is a Schick Krona. Long handle, easy to find angle, great shaver. She loves it!

I actually had an Eversharp I sold not to long ago. Great razor but same boat as my wife. Just didn't find it aggressive enough. Knowing my wife she would use a straight if she wasn't scared of it lol.

Sorry no help as my wife also uses the Lady Gillette Starburst and likes it. I also agree that the long handle Black Beauty may just be what she is looking for.

My fiancée actually prefers my Gillette Super Adjustable (Black Beauty) loaded with a Polsilver Super Iridium blade. Her brush of choice is an Omega 10098. She's also fond of Arko shave soap or TOBS Eton College. I hope that helps!

My fiancée actually prefers my Gillette Super Adjustable (Black Beauty) loaded with a Polsilver Super Iridium blade. Her brush of choice is an Omega 10098. She's also fond of Arko shave soap or TOBS Eton College. I hope that helps!

Thanks! So far she was reluctant to try up until the past couple weeks. Shes still not wanting t go the brush route. She just wants a cream she can lather up and go. All I had was the Tabac & some Musgo Real Oak moss. She like the Tabac scent more. I will have to look into the Polisilver's.

Thanks! So far she was reluctant to try up until the past couple weeks. Shes still not wanting t go the brush route. She just wants a cream she can lather up and go. All I had was the Tabac & some Musgo Real Oak moss. She like the Tabac scent more. I will have to look into the Polisilver's.

I understand.

My fiancée wrote some here about her experience with a DE razor. Here is a link to that thread. You might have your wife read it over and then ask if she would like to try the brush once. After one use, my fiancée preferred it to normal creams. She especially enjoys using the Arko shave stick to save some time, but enjoys lathering it from her shave mug. Also, your helping her with the shave might come up. If so, go ahead, but be mindful of the angle of the blade.

If you or your wife have any questions, please feel free to PM me. I'll let my fiancée answer all that she can for you. And I can add that my fiancée prefers the Super Adjustable on a 3 or 4 with a fresh Polsilver Super Iridium blade. Just make certain that your wife always loosens the doors before making adjustments.

Another consideration is just having her look at her shave angle. The Lady Gillette should be plenty aggressive enough for the task. It may appear to be too mild if her shaving angle is a little off.

Either way, a black beauty is a good option.

BTW the Lady Gillette is a fine shaver for men too. I find it one of the best TTO shavers that I own. Just don't let your friends catch you shaving with the Pink Lady Gillette :001_smile

Top Bottom