What's new

Suggestions on 20mm or smaller? Super or Silvertip

Anybody have any suggestions on buying a new brush with a knot size that's 20mm or smaller, that's available in premium grade (super/silvertip/finest)?

As I've already posted, I have a Shavemac 28mm (XL silvertip), a Vulfix 22mm super, a Kent BK4 on the way (22mm), and a Wee Scot.

I definately prefer the lather of a smaller brush over the larger, but it's nice to know it's there if & whenever I feel like a larger, luxurious shave. I was considering shelling out the 199 for a Rooney's finest small, but it's a full 22mm knot, which I already have (soon, TWO of!)... I definately want the highest available badger grade & I'm willing to pay for it.

You guys are the BEST! Thank you!

Steve... That's an excellent recommendation- any pointers for the cheapest, most reliable, easiest, etc. place to buy a Plisson- either online or in NYC?

As an addition to Steve's suggestion i may recommend this one from Rooney:

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/Style_2_Finest_Shaving_Brush.html#a1097

The hair is of the most "pronounced" white badger/ upland silvertip there is on the market; deep black shafts and snowy white tips. But, remarkably, my two Rooneys finest do not seem to hold much water; of course there is enough water left in the brush to make a good lather, but compaired to other whites such as Plisson HMW or Simpsons Extra Super/ Manchurian less than one should expect from such a high quality and outrageously expensive shaving brush......

But when taking appearance into account, the Plisson is unbeatable....

Peter

NYLaw said:
Anybody have any suggestions on buying a new brush with a knot size that's 20mm or smaller, that's available in premium grade (super/silvertip/finest)?

As I've already posted, I have a Shavemac 28mm (XL silvertip), a Vulfix 22mm super, a Kent BK4 on the way (22mm), and a Wee Scot.

I definately prefer the lather of a smaller brush over the larger, but it's nice to know it's there if & whenever I feel like a larger, luxurious shave. I was considering shelling out the 199 for a Rooney's finest small, but it's a full 22mm knot, which I already have (soon, TWO of!)... I definately want the highest available badger grade & I'm willing to pay for it.

Personally.... I am not gaga over Plissons. The Horn HWM I had a few years back did very little for me, and I sold it (I don't often sell shaving brushes). I guess the main quesiton I have for you - is what are you looking for? Do you like a softer feel, or are you looking for something firmer/stouter?

Honestly.... I'd say wait. Get the kent in, enjoy it for awhile, then get the next brush. 1/2 the fun is figuring out what you want - no need to rush it! I gotta say, with all these brushes I am getting in for the comparo test... it is almost ruining the fun of getting in a new brush - as the "WOW cool new thing" effect has somewhat of a diminishing marginal utility. Many fellas (Peter included) have spent quite a few years building up their collection, and have had a hell fo a lot of fun doing so in the process. I'd say kick back, enjoy what you've got for a little while, then based on your new experiences/fun with your new brush, then make a decision on which brush to get next!

For what it is worth.... I usually find that the more $ I spend on a brush... the less I like it. Unfortunatly a lot of these expensive brushes are talked up... err... ehhh.... way too much! :lol:

Joel...
That is some of the best advice I've received (in any area of life) in quite a long time! (Especially because it's not like I have any "disposable income," just like the rest of us.)

I received my Kent yesterday afternoon and shaved with it this morning... Am I right that it has a floppier feel than, say, my Vulfix? Could it be that the loft is longer? It was a nice shave (I used the Trumper's Violet), and, as you suggest, I think I'll take a break for a while and rotate what I already have... What's the point of the thing if I don't take some time and enjoy what I have, right?

Joel, THANK YOU for some perspective!!!

NYLaw said:
Joel...
That is some of the best advice I've received (in any area of life) in quite a long time! (Especially because it's not like I have any "disposable income," just like the rest of us.)

I received my Kent yesterday afternoon and shaved with it this morning... Am I right that it has a floppier feel than, say, my Vulfix? Could it be that the loft is longer? It was a nice shave (I used the Trumper's Violet), and, as you suggest, I think I'll take a break for a while and rotate what I already have... What's the point of the thing if I don't take some time and enjoy what I have, right?

Joel, THANK YOU for some perspective!!!

Hey no problem at all! What always really burned me, was to spend $200+ on a shaving brush.... and have it lather/function the EXACT same as a $30-60 brush. The ONLY difference I find between high quality shaving brushes is the feel - IE the kents being super soft, Simpsons being stouter/firmer - etc. Their actual lather building qualities are essentially (for all intents and purposes) the same.... so often times fellas spend major coin on a brush, only to find it really isn't a whole lot different than the cheaper stuff. A great "like" example would be with Scotch.... if you try Glenfiddich 12, 15, 18, and 30 there really is VERY little difference, and the average joe in a blind taste test chances are will like the 15 most (as it has the best stand alone taste) however only the mega-scotch connesures will appreciate the qualities of the 30 year, and often they even get caught up in the price/high year date which artificially make it a better experience.... so you can pay $50 for a bottle that is pretty much the same/better than the $230 bottle of 30 year - but you'll always find a large group of people who claim the 30 year is the bee's knees, basically if you've dropped the coin on it, you obviously want to re-enforce the validity of the purchase, and talk about how wonderful it is to make you feel better about the big coin you spent, as well as enjoying the "special status" of owning the product.

As far as the "flopy" feel of the kent, I do think it is in part due to the increased loft - but it is primarily the soft, thin bristles they use. I must say though - I am not a fan of the term "Floppy" when it comes to shaving brushes, however I do use it myself sometimes. To me, floppy is sort of a negative trait, and is almost universally looked down on in the online shaving community.... I mean you'll never see a post "What is the floppiest shaving brush available?" PERSONALLY, while I wouldn't want my ONLY shaving brush to be a "floppy" one, I must say the "floppier" the brush, often the softer, more luxurious, and often efficacious the brush is at putting lather on my face. I often find that the high end "finest/silvertip" brushes are stiff to the point where they do not have ample flex to really push the lather OUT of the shaving brush and onto ones face. As with most thing, to each their own, but I'd very VERY careful and be VERY critical of ANY shaving brush over $100.... I mean ANY. It is a handle with some hair sticking out of it, so anything over $100 had better have a damn good reason, and a highly measurable one at that on why shelling out so much coin is necessary.... so far I have only found 1-2 brushes I think have a TRUE value over $100 based on their performance.

Sorry for a bit of a rant - it has always just iirked me to see some "experts" keep flogging the Rooney Finest/ Plission White/ Simpsons Manchurian - as the holy graily - and no other brush is worthy. Only 2 major differences between the aformentioned brushes and the standard run of the mill brushes... they tend to look a little nicer, and they are a hell of a lot more expensive.

Joel- first, regarding floppy, I agree with you- floppy is derogatory, and unnecessarily so: I should use the term flexible... The Kent was an extremely soft lathering experience, with longer, softer (read, less firm) bristles...

I HAVE to ask, since you put it out there: Which one or two brush(es) would you say, in your own experience, opinion, etc., is/are truly worth the ~$100+ price tag?

NYLaw said:
Joel- first, regarding floppy, I agree with you- floppy is derogatory, and unnecessarily so: I should use the term flexible... The Kent was an extremely soft lathering experience, with longer, softer (read, less firm) bristles...

I HAVE to ask, since you put it out there: Which one or two brush(es) would you say, in your own experience, opinion, etc., is/are truly worth the ~$100+ price tag?

For sheer quality/value/performance the only 2 I think are worth spending over $100 on is a Savile Row/Shavemac around 26mm (as I think that is the "magic" number knot size wise, whereby you have extreme luxury, while still being reasonable/economical) and a Simpsons PJ2 Super.

Shavemac/Savile Row uses a superb quality bristle, his brushes are built like work horses, and they are comfortable/pleasing to the eye - all at a reasonable price.

The Simpson PJ2 in particular is just (in my opinon) the best daily use brush I have ever experienced. It is firm enough to provide a "scrubbing" action, yet soft enough to be quite luxurious, while at the same time being of reasonable size to provide MORE than enough lather for 4-5 passes, while not wasting excess soap/cream..... so far as I am concerned, it is the perfect "medium." There are more "luxurious" brushes, more "economical" brushes, etc - but so far a s I am concerned this one has the best mix. I am quite interested to see how its larger brother, the PJ3 performs in the brush test!

Edit: I must also add in here, I think NO shaving brush is "worth" more than $200. Not to badmouth anyone who wants a $200+ brush, and hell, I have bought a few - but when you pay $200+ it is simply out of obsession/personal preference/insanity - whatever you wish to call it, but there is no need to spend $200+ on a shaving brush. :smile:

NYLaw said:

Stop on over here before you spend all of those hard earned bucks and see where this thread goes.

I would recommend the Saville Row SR-204 from: http://qedusa.com/

I have a goatee & I've yet to find a better 20mm/knot brush! I've loaded that sucker up with lather & it never drops a speck! Price vs perfomance is astounding!

Top Bottom