What's new

Suggestions for soothing balm/aftershave.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Apologies if this has already been asked a billion before. Could someone please recommend a soothing aftershave to use in order to calm irritated skin after a shave? I don’t mind scents, but I would prefer a weakly scented aftershave or an unscented aftershave if possible.

I’ve never used aftershave before, but due to the medication I’ve been put on, the skin gets irritated a bit more easily than before; especially on the back of the neck - just looking for some sort of balm/lotion/something to soothe it. Any recommendation would be very welcome.

edit: I would prefer those that can be readily acquired in the UK as well, since the selection is somewhat limited compare to in the United States.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Paul, for a balm many recommend the Nivea Sensitive Balm which is about £2.50 in Boots or Superdrug. Regardless of the low price this is very highly regarded. For an actual aftershave, how about Proraso? The green has a cooling menthol feel and the white is most suited for sensitive skin. The fragrances are light and as with most aftershaves, do not last long. Proraso is easily and cheaply found on Amazon with next day delivery and there are matching balms and aftershaves plus a cool Italian vibe. Proraso would be my choice.

you can also get a bottle of distilled Witchhazel for abot £2 for most chemists and some supermarkets.

It makes a great after shave splash for calming and soothing skin.

As others havs said Nivea men Sensitive Post Shave Balm is fantastically good for calming everything down and remoisturising skin - its priced at £6, but it is nearly always half price at £3 or £4 in Sainsbury's and other supermarkets.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Lucky Tiger has a nice citrus/orange scent similar to an Eau de Portugal...very fleeting, but pleasant upon application. It's labeled a face tonic/aftershave. I'll have to check my bottle, but I think that it doesn't have any alcohol in it.

Proraso White balm has a mild scent, labeled Sensitive. I like it a bit more than Nivea. There is Proraso Blue balm which is quite good, labeled Soothing & Moisturizing, but the scent has a bit of anise or something like it, probably not a blind buy, but many people like it. The scent does not linger with either of these.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Thanks a lot for the advice and suggestions guys - I think I’ll give Nivea and Proraso white a shot.

Was considering Lucky Tiger but I couldn’t find a source among my usual online retailers - Amazon had it at something like a 30-40% markup, so I‘ll keep that as a third option if I don’t get along with the others.

I have sensitive skin as well. From my personal, albeit limited, experience. Proraso green pre-shave really makes a difference in protecting my skin. For aftershave, I find witch hazel a gentle cleaner, followed by Nivea Sensitive Balm which really smooths out the skin. Based on the recommendations here, I'll keep my eye open for some lucky tiger to try. I have learned to avoid alcohol splashes just because they seem to dry out my skin more than I like.

It somewhat pricey, but I really like this one:
1592172187132.png

Also, Truefitt & Hill makes some great products.

Paul, for a balm many recommend the Nivea Sensitive Balm which is about £2.50 in Boots or Superdrug. Regardless of the low price this is very highly regarded. For an actual aftershave, how about Proraso? The green has a cooling menthol feel and the white is most suited for sensitive skin. The fragrances are light and as with most aftershaves, do not last long. Proraso is easily and cheaply found on Amazon with next day delivery and there are matching balms and aftershaves plus a cool Italian vibe. Proraso would be my choice.
I'll second this. Both products are fixtures on my counter.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

As noted above, Nivea Sensitive ASB, Lucky Tiger AS and Proraso white ASB are great options. I have recently discovered Mitchels Wool Fat Hand and Body Lotion that is also advertised as an aftershave and it a really nice product for sensitive skin..and should be readily available in the UK.

Like you Im on long term meds, and have found that I do get really raw skin after a SE or DE shave, some times. I've learnt when my skin is going bad and lay off shaving for a few days. After years of trying this and that I settled on using 3P cream for at least 6 years. Not to everyone's taste but a damn fine pre, post, soother cream and or balm. My current tub has lasted since 17th Dec 2017! A little goes along way. Another one you may consider is Prep. Almost the same as 3P but a little thinner and a stronger scent. Both quiet cheap too. The scent doesn't last too long and can always be paired with something like Proraso AS splash and the post shave cream. All 3 are widely available in the UK and come in a host of sizes from a small 50ml pot upto a 1000ml pot for the 3P. As for scents that are mild on the skin there's Speik (or is it Spiek) nice an flowery but manly, pitralon is nice too, plus there's a few variations but all from europe but again easily come by in the UK. And while I have no affiliation with them I've also found that executive shaving do some nice scents that are a little more 'natural' but the down side is you have to pay a little more for them. Hope this helps. Don't give up. Try samples if you can then if it works go large. 😉

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I would recommend Thayer's unscented WH w/aloe before the balm. Very soothing and works great.

My favorite balm is Clinique Moisturizer for Men, but I'm sure there are others that work well.

Not sure if it is available in the UK, but Korres Marigold & Ginseng Aftershave Balm is very soothing and great stuff. I may have bought it from korres.com, but I would need to check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My two favored balms, #1-Clinique Postshave Healer, and #2-Aramis Soothing Balm. Honorable mention goes to Nivea Sensitive.

Top Bottom