What's new

Suggestions for Painting Figural Scales or Letters? Model painters here?

Hi guys. I was hoping to get some guidance/recommendations when it comes to painting/coloring razor scales.

I would like to try painting some old, faded out, figural scales. Anyone painted them before? Pictures?
I have a few that are missing all or most of the original color. Anyone tried paint pens? Anything to avoid?

Considering colored, Sharpie brand paint markers/pens, or even their regular pens. Acrylic model paint is probably the best option, but considering how little of it would be used, not sure I want to invest much in it.

Lettering? What is best for repainting the black letters on celluloid or the gold/silver letters on horn?
I've seen where some people use Rub-N-Buff for gold letters. Anyone tried the black?

Thanks guys.

Is there any pictures of the scales you can post? Are they plastic? I used to paint miniatures many moons ago.
A few examples.
IMG_20220503_083719.jpg

There are a couple of techniques that can be used. Washing, glazing, inking. All are similar to each other. You use inks/ paint typically watered down to give added flow. Each of these techniques get a bit in depth. I think washing would work the best. This is done using acrylic paint, watered down slightly sometimes with acrylic ink. A few coats is better than one thick coat, easier to control the colour. The wash will act like a paint where it will colour the raised area slightly and will act somewhat like an ink where it will fill in the low areas with a darker/thicker colour.

Looking at the center razor with the eagle, this is what the ink/wash technique will look like when done. You will need to add a clearcoat of some sort to protect the acrylic paint, considering the paints used typically on miniatures are water based. Something like india ink may give you some longevity without added protection.

The miniatures I painted were for war gaming and got handled quite a lot and the added protection of a clearcoat kept the paint from being warn off the raised areas.

There are a couple of techniques that can be used. Washing, glazing, inking. All are similar to each other. You use inks/ paint typically watered down to give added flow. Each of these techniques get a bit in depth. I think washing would work the best. This is done using acrylic paint, watered down slightly sometimes with acrylic ink. A few coats is better than one thick coat, easier to control the colour. The wash will act like a paint where it will colour the raised area slightly and will act somewhat like an ink where it will fill in the low areas with a darker/thicker colour.

Looking at the center razor with the eagle, this is what the ink/wash technique will look like when done. You will need to add a clearcoat of some sort to protect the acrylic paint, considering the paints used typically on miniatures are water based. Something like india ink may give you some longevity without added protection.

The miniatures I painted were for war gaming and got handled quite a lot and the added protection of a clearcoat kept the paint from being warn off the raised areas.
Okay, that is interesting. Little more in depI think someone I know was trying to achieve that effect my going over the design, then lightly wiping it with alcohol to leave the the lines/hollows filled with color. They used a Sharpie though. :) I need to do some more reading on those techniques.

Since not much paint would be needed, what would be the most cost effective choice for paint if you were trying something like the washing technique?

Okay, that is interesting. Little more in depI think someone I know was trying to achieve that effect my going over the design, then lightly wiping it with alcohol to leave the the lines/hollows filled with color. They used a Sharpie though. :) I need to do some more reading on those techniques.

Since not much paint would be needed, what would be the most cost effective choice for paint if you were trying something like the washing technique?

Best place would be a crafts store. They have acrylic paints usually a couple of ounces for a few doll hairs or less. This is good because it will give you enough to practice with especially with thinning. A small brush even with a little paint can cover a couple of pairs of scales. You can also pick up brush on clearcoat which you can protect the paint with.

Here are some points if you decided to do acrylic paints

1. Complete your work fast. Acrylic paint dries quicker than other forms of paint.
2. Watch the amount of paint on your palette.
They can dry and harden while you're looking for another opportunity to apply that hue, so be cautious.
3. The blending. When mixing for the first time, beginners in acrylic painting make blunders. So first check for some tutorials.
4. Brushes. While other forms of paint, such as oils and oil media, may require you to wash your brushes with turpentine or mineral spirits, this is not essential with acrylics. All you need is a little soap and water to clean your brushes, and the acrylic paint will wash right off. You also can find specific brushes for acrylic painting here.
5. When blended heavily with titanium white, any color may be transformed into an opaque hue. This will result in a hue that is opaque or even translucent. It is preferable not to add water to the mixture and instead leave it thick with only the titanium white and color of your choosing. However, if you want it to seem more like a watercolor, thin it down a little with water.

I hope this was useful.

Top Bottom