What's new

Suggestions for my Next Smartphone

Moto X would be something to consider. Also Sony just announced the Xperia Z1 Compact which looks really cool. But if you can wait there will be a new crop of phones being released from Samsung, HTC and LG within the next couple of months.

I had a Samsung Omnia with Windows Mobile. Both we so abysmal that I switched to an iPhone as soon as they came out. Very happy with my iPhone. I would consider Android, but I think it boils down to whom do you trust less with your data - Apple or Google?

Unless the new Windows OS is a leap ahead of the other two (and I doubt very much that it is), I will not be contributing any more of my money to Redmond. I still get annoyed at MS Windows . . .

I carry my S4 in the front pocket all the time. Never bothered getting a belt clip/pouch for it. I had an iPhone 4 before getting the S4. It took me a week or so to get use to the size difference. I don't think I want to go any smaller now. there are time when I start to covet the Note 3.

I switched to Android because I wanted to get away from iTunes.

Long story short: It pretty much seems like you can't go wrong with an iPhone, Galaxy, or Nexus. Safest bets out there. Just find which one suits your needs best and you should be good to go.

Question for Note owners: How do you carry that behemoth around? The phone looks and sounds amazing, but my goodness, there is just no way that monster is fitting comfortably in a front pocket.

FYI- longtime Samsung user just switched to a Moto G. $200 bucks for an unlocked, 16GB Android running the latest KitKat is an absolute steal, IMHO. Only two issues that some might have problems with are the quality of the camera and the lack of 4G/LTE support. Neither of these bother me in the least.

Please also take a Windows phone under consideration. Nokia makes outstanding products, and you would be hard pressed to do better for integration with both personal and business applications on MS platform. Personally I wouldn't consider apple unless I was already using an apple computer and can run itunes in its native environment.

Android certainly has its merits, and I had a lot of fun with my nexus phone for 2 years, but for me it just got to be too much to deal with and left me wanting something solid, reliable, and that didn't have 1 million different configuration options to wade through. A few months ago we tried a Samsung S-something for my wife and there were so many gimmicks and widgets that just got in the way so we returned it after a few days.

Definitely try them all out in-store if you can. Good luck!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Long story short: It pretty much seems like you can't go wrong with an iPhone, Galaxy, or Nexus. Safest bets out there. Just find which one suits your needs best and you should be good to go.

Question for Note owners: How do you carry that behemoth around? The phone looks and sounds amazing, but my goodness, there is just no way that monster is fitting comfortably in a front pocket.

Mine goes in my sbirt pocket. I dont like front pocket carry for a flat phone. Flip phone, sure. But I am always afraid I will lean up against something, or drop something in the same pocket, and ceack up the screen. And unfortunately choices are limited for holsters for the note3 without buying from chinese ebay vendors.

Title says it all.

In a long string of BlackBerry incidents, the latest is that my Torch won't hang up. You have to hang up, so if I place the call the battery has to come out.

I'm thinking of a Galaxy, but ultimately want something small enough to fit in my front jeans pockets and am not sure if they're too bulky for that.

Your thoughts?

Been carrying a Galaxy S4 for about 8 months. Fits in my front pocket with no issues whatsoever. I refuse to carry a phone on a belt clip ever since I lost one somewhere off I 70 in Maryland some years back. Clip just worked loose and/or somehow otherwise failed. Phone was almost new too..sigh.

Well, I'm still using my Palm Pre2 and Pre3... I've yet to see anything come close in many ways, and yet to see anything that makes me want to switch...

I always giggle when I have the people around me with iPhones and Android phones (of many models and brands) go about doing things and have nothing but trouble getting things done with it, or can't do one thing or another, or lack a bunch of features... all of which aren't issues with my phones..

Sad that the biggest "gripe" with many about the Pres were "but... but .. but APPS?!?!".

Sadly, it was enough to kill the line.

But still, 2-3 year old phones that still hold up to anything new, and all I see is iPhones and Androids that have done nothing but scramble to catch up.

Mine goes in my sbirt pocket. I dont like front pocket carry for a flat phone. Flip phone, sure. But I am always afraid I will lean up against something, or drop something in the same pocket, and ceack up the screen. And unfortunately choices are limited for holsters for the note3 without buying from chinese ebay vendors.

Thanks for the reply! I love the look and specs of the Note, but have serious concerns about carrying the thing around. I don't wear a pocketed shirt on non-work days, so that wouldn't work for me. A co-worker of mine carries his around in his hooded sweatshirt's front pocket, but again, I don't wear those every day either. And a belt clip is a non-starter for me. If I could figure out how to carry the damned thing, I could put it on my list of considerations when I'm upgrade eligible.

Also, I don't know if they even still make it, but the HTC Rezound is an absolute piece of garbage. My wife has it and it can't hold a charge, doesn't work with wifi, randomly freezes, constantly needs hard reboots, so on and so forth. She thought she got a lemon and exchanged it for a brand new one. New phone, exact same issues. Horrible, horrible phone.

Top Bottom