What's new

Suggestions for Honemeister

While I have been sharpening knives, chisels and the occasional axe since my pre teens, I am loathe to hone my straight razors. Truthfully, I don't have stones in a fine enough grit (I have up to 2k). I have been sending mine out around three or four times a year. However, I have been less than thrilled with the quality the last two times. Granted wedges can take more time and effort to put a fine edge, but it shouldn't be so inconsistent when done by a professional. I am in California and would appreciate any suggestions for a good Honemeister. While someone out on the west coast would be convenient, I am more than happy to do business with someone elsewhere in the country.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Legion

Staff member
I’m sure there will get some good suggestions, but if you are comfortable honing, why not spend the money you would pay someone else, and buy some finer hones?

I was in the same boat as you just recently...Lots of sharpening experience but nothing that was fine grit enough for a razor.With directions from this forum I picked up lapping film and diamond compound.It was cheap and has worked out great..I set the bevel,hone,Then all I have to do is touch up on the balsa..(other than stropping)I’m not sure how long I will have before I need to rehone but so far with the touch ups on the diamond compound/balsa My razors are if anything getting sharper.If I didn’t want to do a lot of honing that’s what I would do..Lapping film,diamond compound..Search forum for “the method”

Unless it's a financial constraint investing in supplies, why not do it yourself? I have no prior experience sharpening anything at all, but picked it up and done a few bevel sets, and refresh edges no problem. It's nothing to be nervous about.

Edit: I've removed my message as originally written as I see you mention being located in California. Therefore, I agree with what's already been said regarding honing on your own, or sending out to Alfredo (Doc226). It also might be good for you to find someone who hones well in your vicinity, so as to sit in on a session if possible. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone in California (it being a mighty big state as well). Good luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom