What's new

Suggestions for Calibrating New Merkur Progress Long Handle?

Found this new one on YouTube...
Look up :
"How to easily calibrate The Merkur Progress " by Eric Davis.
Worth trying if you ask me 😊

Perception is the key to this conversation. I own both Slim and Fatboy. Both perform as expected, deliver flawless shaves, yet my Progress razor delivers the better shave every time. No the numbers aren't perfect, mine line up between the + and the number 1. Once I set the adjustment, in my case, to 2.5 the quality and consistency of the shave are always what I've grown to expect. Maybe the newer Progress models will be better, hopefully the QC will show improvement. But I'm reminded these are a mass-produced product and approach the issue as such. And at the price point these go for, they're easily replaced if there is a problem.

I've yet to shave with the Progress, even though I bought it two months ago. Although Merkur's quaiity control might be so lax that the actually would release a improperly calbirated razor set to start at level 5, one B&B member suggested that this might be a return. I would assume Amazon is not selling returns, but in the event they are, I'm waiting for a Barbicide delivery. I also plan to spray a little Scrubbing Bubbles on the base plate and top assembly along with a 10 minute soak in 91% isopropyl alcohol just in case, followed by a dish detergent rinse. Yes I know it's drastic and probably not necessary, but I'm not taking any chances.

Right now, I'm upset because I just found an issue with my Merkur Futur. One side has more blade explosure and louder audio feedback. Naturally, more stubble is cut with that side. I also noticed that with the top cap snapped in, I can move the blade with a slight fingernail nudge.

I received today my Progress long handle. When it is fully tightened the scale starts at 5. Is that a problem? I don't know. Somebody here wrote that just think that 5 = 0. Have you used your Progress @Shaveathon?

Brother Shaveathon,

I bought a short handled Merkur Progress several months ago. When empty and tight the dial reads "1.5" and when loaded the dial reads "1.25". It's a non-issue. The only thing that's important is what is the setting for your particular razor for a perfect shave on your face? Memorize that number!

Also make sure the mark on the end of the cap is on the same side of the razor as the mark on the head.

Last edited:
The dial with the numbers turns. It's hard to turn as it's on tight. If you can't turn it by hand, put a rubber band around it and try again. That worked for me.

Top Bottom