What's new

Suggestions for a rebarrel?

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Hey guys,
So I have crossed the threshold on the barrel on my Savage and am in the process of hunting a smith to spin up a stick and install it for me. Now I know what you are thinking... "You idiot. Savage barrel swaps are easy!" You are correct! On both counts :lol: but high bolt thrust is very real and best case you deform bolt lugs if you get the head spacing wrong. Worst case (ala during a case head separation)... Well, I shudder to think but I probably wouldn't be thinking for very long after it happened so I'm going to let a pro handle the magnum. Any favorite gun smiths? Right now I have e-mails out to Bugholes in TN and Rocky Mountain Rifle Works (Mark Chanlynn) in CO. I am leaning towards Mark as he makes his own cut rifled barrels, trained under "Boots" Obermeyer, and was the President of the US Shooting Team and built their rifles (He may still do that) so there is a LOT of pedigree there. But it's always good to hear from the shooters as ya'll might have a hidden gem that is the bees knees! Thanks in advance for the info!

Last edited:

nikonNUT

Wait...you shot out your .338 already???
Not just yet but I am on my second box of primers so I know I have sent 1300+ rounds down range. I'm just preparing myself. Plus I think I got a meh barrel. For $800-ish Mark should be able to whip me up a laser! Everything I've read said his sticks are good for 3/8 MOA , require less break in, and shoot faster with less fouling. I'm game to see if the hype is true!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
IKR? I got to chat with Mark (A true gentleman BTW!)and he was saying that he has to loosen up the accuracy on the bigger magnums. If we were talking something like a 6.5CM he said .25MOA MAX.

I can see something like CM getting that kind of accuracy, but the huge caliber of a .338 Lapua? Other worldly...

nikonNUT

I can see something like CM getting that kind of accuracy, but the huge caliber of a .338 Lapua? Other worldly...
Agreed. Pretty much one holes groups regardless of caliber. Had to believe but the fact that Obermeyer taught him the ropes I believe it!

nikonNUT

I am curious, how much accuracy are you requiring, and for what purpose?
I use the .338LM for ELR (out to 2000 yards. I've only hit to 1700) and the range I use runs 1 MOA and 2 MOA targets so a 1 MOA barrel eats up a lot of target real estate. Add variables things like ES, not getting wind calls quite right, etc and 2 MOA gets tightI just want to tighten up the aspects I can control. I figure if the rifle can manage .375 MOA accuracy it gives me more leeway in the other aspects AKA my shooting skills. Not saying it will be a bell weather change but it can't hurt.

Top Bottom