What's new

Suggestions for a newb

Total newb. As far as I can tell, these seem to be the fragrance families. Since high school I have only worn one frag, “redwood”. But now I’m attempting to collect a cologne of each of the families! So let me know what you have and what family it belongs to
  1. Aquatic
  2. Citrus
  3. Chypre
  4. Floral Single
  5. Floral bouquet
  6. Fougere
  7. Gourmand
  8. Leather
  9. Middle-eastern
  10. Oriental
  11. Woodsy

Ad Astra

The Instigator
6. Try Houbignant Fougere Royale. Samples are available; its about as classic a fougere as can be.

You might consider reading the Turin/Sanchez book, too.

AA

Hi radrick, the following might be of some interest to you although it’s a few years old now:

It’s a link to, in my opinion, one of the best mainstream masculine fragrance charts. It sets out classic men’s fragrances by family and the main sub categories within them.

Some I own by family:

1) Giorgio Armani - Acqua di Gio
Bvlgari - Aqva (although I own the ‘Amara’ flanker).
Issey Miyake - L’eau D’Issey Pour Homme

2) Acqua di Parma Colonia
Giorgio Armani - Eau Pour Homme
Givenchy - Monsieur de Givenchy

3) Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT
YSL Pour Homme
Aramis
Chanel Antaeus
Chanel Sycomore

6) Aramis Tuscany
YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme
Dolce & Gabbanna Pour Homme
Drakkar Noir
Calvin Klein Eternity Pour Homme - don’t own anymore but belongs to the Fougere family
YSL Jazz

8) Tom Ford - Tuscan Leather & Ombré Leather

10) Guerlain - Habit Rouge
Chanel - Egoiste
YSL - Opium Pour Homme
Chanel - Allure Pour Homme

11) Ralph Lauren - Polo
Guerlain - Vetiver Extreme
Givenchy - Gentleman (1974)
Ermenegildo Zegna - Javanese Patchouli

Wow you have some good sounding choices! What’re your top 3?

Hi radrick, the following might be of some interest to you although it’s a few years old now:

It’s a link to, in my opinion, one of the best mainstream masculine fragrance charts. It sets out classic men’s fragrances by family and the main sub categories within them.

Some I own by family:

1) Giorgio Armani - Acqua di Gio
Bvlgari - Aqva (although I own the ‘Amara’ flanker).
Issey Miyake - L’eau D’Issey Pour Homme

2) Acqua di Parma Colonia
Giorgio Armani - Eau Pour Homme
Givenchy - Monsieur de Givenchy

3) Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT
YSL Pour Homme
Aramis
Chanel Antaeus
Chanel Sycomore

6) Aramis Tuscany
YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme
Dolce & Gabbanna Pour Homme
Drakkar Noir
Calvin Klein Eternity Pour Homme - don’t own anymore but belongs to the Fougere family
YSL Jazz

8) Tom Ford - Tuscan Leather & Ombré Leather

10) Guerlain - Habit Rouge
Chanel - Egoiste
YSL - Opium Pour Homme
Chanel - Allure Pour Homme

11) Ralph Lauren - Polo
Guerlain - Vetiver Extreme
Givenchy - Gentleman (1974)
Ermenegildo Zegna - Javanese Patchouli
Thanks for the chart!

Wow you have some good sounding choices! What’re your top 3?

Thanks for the chart!

You‘re welcome.

Top 3?!? :eek: That is tough! You’ve probably guessed I am a bit of a fraghead. Go on then...

One reason I’ve picked all 3 is because I find they are the most versatile, can be worn all year round and in their own way are distinctive. Although I wear and love the likes of Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Opium pour homme and Polo I find they work best during autumn and winter.

So...

Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT. I wish I’d discovered this years ago. It might indeed not last as long as other fragrances and wears close to the skin but I’ve yet to find a fragrance with a citrus opening that I prefer. I agree that it‘s a timeless scent. I sometimes notice different notes more when I wear it but after the citrus opening you do get a nice blast of spices and woody notes as it develops.
I’ve gone through a few bottles since I first bought it in 2014.

YSL Jazz, which was the first fragrance I ever wore. My father wore it for a while in the late 1980s/early 1990s and I used to like dousing myself in it! I didn‘t try it again until I deliberately went out of my way to see if it was still in production and I got hold of the current version. There’s something about it that makes me come back to it. It lasts for ages on my skin too, which helps. I really like the patchouli in it and the spicy notes.

Chanel Sycomore. This is something of a ‘use for special occasions’ fragrance for me on account of the price. I instantly liked it when I first tried it on while doing some Christmas shopping in London. I have tried many vetiver heavy fragrances but this, for me, is just on another level to all of them. It‘s definitely got the smoky vetiver quality but the other notes blend so well with it and I think refine it. However, the vetiver stays throughout.

Top Bottom