What's new

Suggestions for a live trap.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hi all. I am in need of a heavy duty live trap for raccoons and opossums around the chicken coop and or gardens. Hopefully even a ground hog. Must be heavy duty, not like the cheap green colored ones that I bought at Tractor Supply that had a small cage inside a big one. A raccoon tore that one up it's first use, lol!

The War Department has recently allocated funds, hopefully not to exceed $100. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated folks. The hens are starting to reduce production because of living conditions, and I fear they may call for a strike vote! Thanks, FarmerTan

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've not used this brand, but they have a good reputation. You could also call your local animal control and/or Game Warden and see what they recommend.

My wife works for Miller Manufacturing which sells live traps under the "Little Giant" brand name. I needed a live trap for critters that kept getting into my shed so she brought one home. I've captured rabbits, squirrels, possum, and even a mink. The cage is sturdy and was well suited for the job. This is their blurb:

"Little Giant® Live Animal Traps are manufactured from heavy-duty galvanized wire mesh with steel reinforcement. Spring-loaded door, protected handle, and automatic locking system provide safety for both animal and trapper."

I'd recommend them without reservation given my experience with them. I know Fleet Farm is one of their clients if you have one of their stores around. Tractor Supply is another. They sell their stuff through a lot of similar farm supply stores. Look for the Little Giant brand name. If you gave me your city and state I might even be able to find out if they supply any stores in your area.

Last edited:
Does it have to be live? I picked up a good pellet rifle for unwanted critters and I don't have to be concerned with dropping them off anywhere and making them someone else's problem.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My havahart worked really well for raccoons. I once had a pack of 4 very young juveniles trapped in it at the same time. They had been living in the box beams of my front porch. Looks to be 42” long, about 15-16” square section. It will hold a big old nasty full size coon.

DC1F025B-84C7-4200-9E71-EA1FBADE3904.jpeg

FarmerTan

Does it have to be live? I picked up a good pellet rifle for unwanted critters and I don't have to be concerned with dropping them off anywhere and making them someone else's problem.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
No...... I "have NO heart" when it comes to my lovely wife's chickens safety! They will be..... dispatched to wherever it is that raccoons go to meet their Maker.

I may buy some of those hand traps as well, where they reach in and pull the release on a "hand cuff" for lack of a better term.

She went out tonight and found an egg cracked open and nothing left but the shell.

I just want one sturdy enough to not be destroyed by an angry old 'coon that has weight and strength on his side!

I have used the Havahart traps for years, catching possums, raccoons, and the occasional cat (I use cat food as bait) cats get released, raccoons and possums get "set free".

Havaheart.

Have them from vole/mouse size all the way to the largest.

Caught everything from birds to a beagle.

So, why do you need a live trap? Is it the feelgood of freeing a critter in a new location? When you send it over to MY land, I need to deal with it getting into my stuff.
I discovered one well-meaning young lady releasing mice & groundsquirrels over at my place a number of years ago. I imagine that she wasn't happy when I returned over 20 mice and nearly a dozen GS's to her home.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I bought a havaheart type trap from TS, but not the green one you referred to. Has worked for several 'coons and possums. Critters dispatched with a suppressed .22 pistol while still inside the trap.

So, why do you need a live trap? Is it the feelgood of freeing a critter in a new location? When you send it over to MY land, I need to deal with it getting into my stuff.
I discovered one well-meaning young lady releasing mice & groundsquirrels over at my place a number of years ago. I imagine that she wasn't happy when I returned over 20 mice and nearly a dozen GS's to her home.

They go for a swim (in the trap). Relocation does not work. The only things that get released are birds, cats, and dogs. Everything else is drowned and buried. I know people who use a garbage bag with a hose to their car exhaust pipe.

FarmerTan

Havaheart.

Have them from vole/mouse size all the way to the largest.

Caught everything from birds to a beagle.
Lol, the other day I got all excited. Looked out the window and saw that the trap was sprung.

The War Department looked out and said "I doubt you caught anything in the middle of the afternoon." So I let her walk out to check! Caught two of her nosey hens!

They go for a swim (in the trap). Relocation does not work. The only things that get released are birds, cats, and dogs. Everything else is drowned and buried. I know people who use a garbage bag with a hose to their car exhaust pipe.
In Maricopa County, you could get loan of a trap for dogs, cats & critters. The plan was to have Animal control come & retrieve the trap & contents. They charged a fee for animal removal, so folks just began tying a rope to the traps, dunking them in a nearby canal & let the drowned critter out to float away downstream. The 'procedure' became apparent after numerous carcasses began clogging up canal gates.

So, no more loaner live traps anymore.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

One summer, I T/T'd quite a few House-Eaters to a high squirrel-density place once ... should have let them go directly into the building. I guess all you'd have to do is put in a sealed cardboard box; you only need to buy five minutes to make the drop.

For more reading, see "Using Squirrels As A Weapon," page 33.

AA

These work incredibly well for raccoons. I put a marshmallow under the lever and one on top. Gets them almost every time.

I find Tomahawk Traps to be better quality than the current Havaheart Traps. If you are looking to eliminate the issue, a conibear style trap in a cubby set would be the choice. Check YouTube and your local regulations to be sure.

Tom