What's new

Suggestions for a 26mm Badger Fan knot

Not sure what break the bank means to you, but a Shavemac 2 band silver tip fan is real nice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not sure what break the bank means to you, but a Shavemac 2 band silver tip fan is real nice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

+1! That’s what Rudy Vey put in my B&B group buy: ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!! :a29:

I like all the suggestions given so far and would add Elite Razor High Mountain White fan. I just got one in the 26mm size and really like it. The tips are softer than the Manchurian from this company (I have Manchurians in smaller sizes from Elite) and the knot blooms more. It is slightly cheaper than the Manchurian.

Anyone have any comparison feedback on the softness of the tips and ability to splay of these three recommendations? The elite page seems to suggest the Manchurian has more backbone but is the backbone so significant that splay is impacted? The above post seems to indicate that high mountain may be the way to go.

I like all the suggestions given so far and would add Elite Razor High Mountain White fan. I just got one in the 26mm size and really like it. The tips are softer than the Manchurian from this company (I have Manchurians in smaller sizes from Elite) and the knot blooms more. It is slightly cheaper than the Manchurian.

I own two Elite Razor's HMW fan brushes: 26 mm and 28 mm. Terrific craftsmanship and brushes. I had a razor made for me too.

Cost: $ 144 with shipping (28mm Fire and Ice. The top picture)

Bottom picture: 26mm Manchurian knot, along with the Brazilian Rosewood razor handle.
The total was $194 (Coolibah Brush handle - $65, 26mm knot - $65, Razor Handle - $60, shipping - $4).

20190130_080417.jpg

26 mm coolibah and rosewood razor.jpg

Anyone have any comparison feedback on the softness of the tips and ability to splay of these three recommendations? The elite page seems to suggest the Manchurian has more backbone but is the backbone so significant that splay is impacted? The above post seems to indicate that high mountain may be the way to go.
As stated in my post above, based on the limited sample of my three brushes the Elite HMW seems to have softer tips and it blooms (opens up when left to dry upright) and splays (when you press down on the brush) more than the Manchurian. You can actually see the greater backbone of the Manchurian knots in the pictures above--the dark badger hair in the lower portion of the Manchurian is stiffer as you might be able to discern from the photos--the hairs stand more upright and do not bloom and splay as much. Now as to which you might prefer--it depends on you and what you want it for. If you like more backbone, Manchurian. If you like softer tips and more splay, then HMW. Neither is "better", just different. Over a period of time I purchased 3 brushes from this company--24mm Manchurian Fan, 24mm Manchurian bulb and 26mm HMW fan. I have been surprised that I actually seem to prefer the HMW. I hope that helps.

The Elite options are good. That Darn Rob also sells his Fanchurian 26mm knots for $50. I have them slightly higher than the Elite manchurian or HMW fans, but they are relatively close.

Top Bottom